Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

I fear that Jon Snow does not leave this series with his head.

If he genuinely doesn't take the opportunity to go Stark and head south, and he becomes Lord Commander, then his story sort of feels naturally over.

I'll be sad. His pouty face and flowing locks make me question... things.

Fortunately, Natalie Dorner is around to provide answers.

• Paid Members

The Daenerys and Jon Snow bits have been the highlights so far which is suprising because they are usually the most boring stuff. But it actually feels like the shit happening there matters now.

• Awards Moderator

Some lovely bits of casting revealed this week, with the non stop-motion Professor Yaffle Anton Lesser, and Dr Bashir with a magnificent faceful of bristles.

No wanky book talk here but Jaime 'n' Bronn aren't the ones that get sent to Dorne in the novels, so this is both new ground and a really good way to use popular characters that would otherwise be killing time. Lots of sensible screenplay choices here and really looking forward to seeing what havoc he's going to cause on the Quest for Myrcella .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Who would've thought that the most emotional moment so far would come from Stannis? Proper pulling at the strings stuff during his scene with Shireen. Maybe it's the parent in me being a bit of a wuss, but it was a nice moment.

HOWEVER- Selmy :cry:

• Awards Moderator

Indeed! I really liked how this episode mixed the one-on-one moments like that with the bigger-scale stuff like the Grey Worm/Selmy/Harpies fight at the end. Stannis is a persistent bugger, though, he's not going to stop pestering Jon until he's got him on side.

And yes, Selmy... He might not be dead, though? Maybe? Or am I just being hopeful? Daenerys seriously needs to get the fuck out of Meereen.

It's not looking good for Loras either...

Loads of good stuff in that episode. Jaime looking at Tarth, most of Bronn's lines, Jonathan Pryce who is absolutely excellent as the High Sparrow, Oberyn's daughters, and them finally recognising that the Night's Watch desperately needs more men!

This season has taken the show to new heights, it has been all consuming and the world feels complete. I love everything about this show!

They have managed to pair off characters perfectly, Bronn & Jaime doing their buddy cop show, Margaery & Cersei in their Housewives of Kings Landing. Plus The North, Arya in Léon, the creepy Lolita potential with Littlefinger, and Tyrion in Essos.

Selmy dying was horrible, he was the cool hard guy with that aura you just wanted to see in action, to see him die made me sad and angry in equal measures. His entrance to the fight though was as awesome as you expect.

I never usually watch Thronecast but he was on tonight's, it's actually a fun show. Plus it showed the trailer for next weeks episode! Things are happening!!!

The one chilling moment which made me have goosebumps?

"You know nothing Jon Snow."

• Paid Members

That ending fight was amazingly tense stuff. The Sons Of The Harpy are just a right bunch of scary looking motherfuckers. I think after the fast start to season 4 it's taken me a bit longer to get gripped by season 5 (especially with the loss of The Hound and Tywin who were such huge presences on the show) but I think overall every character's storyline is really strong. In previous years Dany, Jon, Stannis and Sansa's stories have sometimes been a bit ropey but this year it's just goodness all round. The only weak links currently for me are Arya and Brienne but their stuff will no doubt pick up in the next few weeks.

I'm glad they recast Daario, I'd have been fuming if the smug, horse-faced cunt from before was stuffin' Daenarys. The current guy is dreamy enough for it not to annoy me too much, though he'll never be the Khal.

In other news, the red woman has seriously tiny, and high, nips.

• Moderators

And yes, Selmy... He might not be dead, though? Maybe? Or am I just being hopeful?

From a storytelling point of view, it makes no sense to have done the fake-out where he almost got his throat slit, only for his attacker to get killed at the possible second by Grey Worm, and then to die anyway. I think he's just badly hurt.

• Awards Moderator

Want to know if Selmy's dead?

Iain Mcelhinney confirmed on the Thronecast that he's dead. The trailer for next week showed his corpse too.

For the record Astro, I agree with your reckoning. But this is Game of Thrones after all.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I'm glad they recast Daario, I'd have been fuming if the smug, horse-faced cunt from before was stuffin' Daenarys. The current guy is dreamy enough for it not to annoy me too much, though he'll never be the Khal.

In other news, the red woman has seriously tiny, and high, nips.

Me too. The new guy is actually cool and likeable. The previous guy was a right ugly shit wanker.