Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

Great end to the season.

Agree with the Bran Stark storyline views, I'm not a fan of it either. Plus it forces me to watch the kid go through puberty which is awkward, and unfortunately for him, doing him no favours.

Edited by TheShowOff

• Moderators

First half of the episode was a bit tedious, but I liked everything from the skelingtons onwards.

The Hound is definitely a dead motherfucker, but I still have hope for Tywin still being alive. Or at least I did before SpursRiot book-cunted it though in his review of this episode. Book cunt!

That fight was the absolute nuts. Between that and the Oberyn fight as the main events, we've had some great one on one brawls this series, which are always better than big battle scenes.

IMO, there's almost no point in (A) not showing the Hound actually die and (B) saving the Mountain, if they're not going to fight at some point. Somebody has to kill the Mountain, and their whole back story is pretty pointless if it was only for one half-arsed confrontation in the first series.

• Paid Members
The Hound is definitely a dead motherfucker, but I still have hope for Tywin still being alive. Or at least I did before SpursRiot book-cunted it though in his review of this episode. Book cunt!

Oh, come on Chest! Tywin is a confirmed kill just from the series. With The Hound, they didn't show it (and, to be clear, I don't know either way) so it's still open, I reckon.

• Moderators

My goal this GoT "off season" is to read all the fucking books, then burn them.

That was my goal last year tho :(

EDIT: honestly tho, it is pretty boring reading through all the Cat sections which are painfully detailed

Where is it currently safe to read to in the books, spoiler free?

reading up to the epilogue of book three will generally keep you spoiler free, although stuff from as far as book five is being used now in some storylines.

• Paid Members
Don't bother reading book 2, its the shits. It'll probably put you off reading the rest of them.

Really? I thought it was good. I found the first book a struggle, because it was mostly word-for-word exactly how series 1 was, but the second book was better. The third book is incredible. Fourth ok, fifth (so far) good.

I really enjoyed those final two episodes and the season in general. Was surprised by the complete lack of Sansa and Little Finger though but the fact that I only now realized that they were missing from the final episode goes to show just how little a fuck I give about them in general.

Knew about Tywin long ago but Shae surprised me.

A heads up for anyone interested, Amazon now have the entire series including season 4 on demand.

Don't bother reading book 2, its the shits. It'll probably put you off reading the rest of them.

Really? I thought it was good. I found the first book a struggle, because it was mostly word-for-word exactly how series 1 was, but the second book was better. The third book is incredible. Fourth ok, fifth (so far) good.

Probably not the place to have this conversation but I thought it was the dribbling shits, the second series of the TV show is a million times better. I know many people who have given up reading the series because book 2 is that shit.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
How weird. I've never heard anyone espouse that.

Me neither. I would say (and my strange cadre of mates that read them say the same) -

Thrones - good.

Clash - good.

Storm - very good. (would be improved with a Brienne/Hound fight though)

Crows - utter slog, has caused some people to give up on the series.

Dance - awesome, made everyone grateful they persevered through Crows.

This is basically due to the 4th/5th books being written not in chronological order but (for the most part) dividing the cast in half, with the more interesting characters and story arcs mostly in Dance, until the two halves knot together again near the end.

I'm sure that for telly, they will tell the story in chronological order. Fuck knows how many series they will need to tell the story of those two whopping books, although admittedly much of Crows can be carved out due to so many chapters being boring and samey for several characters.

neil, stop reading when you get to A Feast For Crows and just wait for the telly show to start again. It will probably be better. I loved reading the books but the Brienne/Hound fight, even though not in the books, was bittersweet viewing for book-knobs because we knew how the Hound was going to be the one to get fucked up.

Edited by air_raid