DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

It was alright. Well done, good effects, looked polished for a British film. I found the characters distinctly unlikeable, wasn't sure whether I was meant to root for any of them, and if I wasn't then I'm hardly likely to care whether they live or die. The progression of the main guy from mugger/rapist to saviour of mankind I didn't buy at all.

Yeah, that's what pissed me off about the film, you actually want to see all those characters to die because they are such cunts and then they don't learn a lesson in the end but become a hero for being a cunt. I thought Nick Frost's character was good and the other guy though but the main characters were just so unlikable.

If you liked The Perks Of Being A fucking Wallflower then do this:-

1) Log out.

2) Don't come back.

3) I mean it.

It's absolutely rubbish. The gay guy is one of the most annoying characters I've seen on film.

• Paid Members

1) Log out.

2) Don't come back.

3) I mean it.

It's absolutely rubbish. The gay guy is one of the most annoying characters I've seen on film.

They're all shit. I'm sick of coming of age films like this, does this film really say anything to anybody about their lives? This is the song, drive through the tunnel! Oh fuck off.

• Paid Members

1) Log out.

2) Don't come back.

3) I mean it.

They're all shit. I'm sick of coming of age films like this, does this film really say anything to anybody about their lives? This is the song, drive through the tunnel! Oh fuck off.

I couldn't see what all the fuss was about with it. Silver Linings Playbook is way better in that strange romantic-comedy-drama genre we see a lot of nowadays.

• Paid Members

Saw The Incredible Burt Wonderstone at the cinema tonight.

I've been extremely disappointed with mainstream American comedies for the last few years, they seem to get more and more ridiculous and over the top without getting any funnier, I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen characters with their lives threatened by criminals or big action set pieces in movies that are meant to be straight up comedies. Before tonight's film there was a trailer for Identity theft (from the makers of Horrible Bosses - a terrible film guilty of all the things I was talking about) and it looked so abysmal, an obese woman fighting jason bateman and cars crashing into each other on the motorway, characters pulling guns on each other, all that shit, then there was a trailer for hangover III, the less said about those movies the better.

Anyway I thought Burt Wonderstone looked funny from the trailer and it looked like it had something to it beyond Hangover style over the topness but I did fear that all the funny bits had been seen in the trailer, I hate it when you see a film and you know all the laughs already, it's not like an action film where an explosion is different out of context in the trailer, then looks cool again in the film, with a joke once you've seen it, it's done. It was pretty obvious after about 15 minutes of the film that there was a lot that hadn't been shown and you really don't know what to expect from Steve Carrell's character til you see it, he's great in it (I normally find him hit and miss but he nails this character) Steve Buscemi is adorable as his sidekick but Jim Carrey really steals the show as a David Blaine style street magician, it was great seeing Jim Carrey really relish an over the top role, I felt like I haven't seen him in anything for absolutely ages. The whole magic setting makes it possible to make a few jokes and go to a few places that you haven't seen before too and as a guy who's quite familiar with magic it all seemed really well observed.

The story does play it a little too safe and has a pretty predictable character and story arc and without spoiling anything the end does get a little silly but there are enough surprises and genuinely funny moments to keep it going and make it worthwhile.

Edit. I just read that Sascha Baron Cohen was considered for the role Jim Carrey played, it's so easy to imagine what he'd be like in that role that it made me realise just how much of my enjoyment from this film is from Jim Carrey's performance

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members

I watched Sitting Target the other night. Butch and Guy Bifkin would love this one - Oliver Reed plays a convict who escapes from prison, along with Ian McShane, when his wife Jill St. John tells him she wants to divorce him because she's having it off with copper Edward Woodward. It's good fun, great music, and Ollie Reed is excellent in it.

• Paid Members
I saw one about a suicide hotspot in Japan a few weeks ago. Think I may have mentioned it in the documentary thread actually. Here it is on youtube for those interested, they actually find a still clothed skeleton in the video.

There's loads of interesting shit in those short Vice documentaries on youtube.

Have you seen the Japanese Cannibal one on there? That dude is batshit crazy.

Edited by Ebb

I finally got to see The Room on the big screen at the Prince Charles Cinema this week.

It is an experience every movie fan should take part in. There is nothing more fun than getting to shout some of the films line with a room full of people.