DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

I just watched Video Game High School because Netflix has been telling me to do so all week.

It was stupid as hell, dumb kids high school shit. But it was fun, and clearly quite lovingly made; some nice little references and such. Good Sunday afternoon viewing.

Well done netflix.

• Paid Members
The Cameo Cinema in Edinburgh was showing Singin' in the Rain today. Utterly sublime ain't-Hollywood-magical escapism. Gene Kelly is the ultimate man.

Fred Astaire > Gene Kelly.

• Awards Moderator
The Cameo Cinema in Edinburgh was showing Singin' in the Rain today. Utterly sublime ain't-Hollywood-magical escapism. Gene Kelly is the ultimate man.

Nah, I'm a Kelly man all the way. Fred's got the edge for double acts, though.

• Paid Members

I'm Team Fred. Mean Gene is a tad too self indulgent for my liking.

• Awards Moderator

I can understand that - the Broadway sequence in Singin' is a total ego-trip for Gene - but he's good enough to get away with it, the dashing bastard.

• Paid Members

I can understand that - the Broadway sequence in Singin' is a total ego-trip for Gene - but he's good enough to get away with it, the dashing bastard.

Absolutely - it is great, but it speaks volumes that the best routine is the whole film doesn't involve him.

• Awards Moderator

Absolutely - it is great, but it speaks volumes that the best routine is the whole film doesn't involve him.

Is that Make 'Em Laugh? I'd have put Good Morning ahead of that, but it is a cracker. It's a shame the guy who played Cosmo wasn't in much else, he's great.

(Is there a record of which parts of the film Kelly directed? That would be interesting)

• Paid Members

Is that Make 'Em Laugh? I'd have put Good Morning ahead of that, but it is a cracker. It's a shame the guy who played Cosmo wasn't in much else, he's great.

(Is there a record of which parts of the film Kelly directed? That would be interesting)

Yeah, I was referring to Make 'Em Laugh. Considering the sheer physical exertion involved, the gracefulness of the performance and it was filmed in one take, i've always put it ahead of Good Morning.

• Awards Moderator

No!

Jaffa - I had no idea Make 'Em Laugh was done in one take, that's fantastic. As well as being really technically impressive, it also hits all its comedy marks which is no easy thing. I think I'm mainly befuddled by the way they're able to dance up and down steps in Good Morning without falling arse over Debbie Reynolds - even if it took multiple attempts...

• Paid Members

Tombstone - To me, the most enjoyable western ever made. I absolutely adore this movie, from Kilmer's magnificent performance as Doc Holliday to Kurt Russell's - admittedly cheesy, but goosebump inducing - 'Heck's coming with me!' monologue, to the 'Earp Vengeance Ride', to Michael Biehn channeling his psychotic Coffee character from the Abyss. Just a joy to watch from start to finish. I'm a man who loves Italian - and Italian inspired - Westerns and turn my nose up at most Hollywood attempts, but this - even 20 years after I first seen it as a wee 14 year old - is still my favourite Western ever.

I'd take a shot in the face from Kilmer, out of sheer respect for his performance in this.

Edited by Scott Malbranque