DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Going to see the Nick Cave one this week, thanks gmoney.

Watched a film called Circle. 50 people are in a room and have to decide which one lives. Some good ideas regarding prejudice but ultimately it fell flat. It could have passed for one of those management tasks about spaces on a lifeboat.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm away to see One More Time With Feeling on Sunday. His new album nearly had me in bits earlier, so bugger knows what state I'll be in after the film.

I watched 20,000 Days On Earth for the first time in a while a few days ago. I forgot how borderline inspirational the film is come the closing.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Legend. While I admire Tom Hardy and thought it was another fantastic performance(s) and thought Emily Browning was equally great, I felt the story didn't really focus on The Krays or certainly not enough on what they were doing. It was all hints or quick glimpses.

• Paid Members

Like the album it is promoting, One More Time With Feeling is hard to make through, but beautifully gripping (if you aren't mental and have a touch of empathy). It starts off with huge doses of charm between Ellis and Cave, with the death of Cave's son hovering over the proceedings, but slowly more and more talk about the incident gets drawn out of Cave and family. All leading to a grueling final 30 minutes or so.

They touch on it during the film, but the first thing you notice is how much Cave has aged since 20,000 Days On Earth (2 years ago). It's startling how the incident has physically changed him.

Watched The Shallows last night. Really enjoyed it but I'm easily pleased as I love a good shark movie. Was properly riveted throughout and the tense parts and gory bits had me wincing.

Still not overly sure about ....

.....the sequence leading up to the ending. The jellyfish bit was verging in to Dumbo Luminous Elephants territory and using whale blubber to set the shark on fire before somehow murdering if with a fuck-off spike came out of nowhere and took away from the realism a bit for me. Still thought it was a good film though and it'll definitely get a second watch

Also, Stephen Seagull needs a best supporting actor Oscar.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Hows this new "Blair Witch" film looking? I remember the culture phenomenom (or something) from 20 years back (feel so old). Is it better than "Book of Shadows" anyway? Cheers!

ADDED: I don't care what anybody on here says. "Blair Witch Project" is still fecking scary. Remember going to the first screening in Glasgow (Ah the old Virgin Cinemas Megapass. Just pay a tenner and get all your films for free. No direct debit shite) and people were nearly shitting themselves.

I'd love to try and see if someone could try and do something to match up to the culture phenomenem that the "Blair Witch Project" had now. Convince everybody that this is real. People fell for it too! Unbelievable.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Hows this new "Blair Witch" film looking? I remember the culture phenomenom (or something) from 20 years back (feel so old). Is it better than "Book of Shadows" anyway? Cheers!

ADDED: I don't care what anybody on here says. "Blair Witch Project" is still fecking scary. Remember going to the first screening in Glasgow (Ah the old Virgin Cinemas Megapass. Just pay a tenner and get all your films for free. No direct debit shite) and people were nearly shitting themselves.

I'd love to try and see if someone could try and do something to match up to the culture phenomenem that the "Blair Witch Project" had now. Convince everybody that this is real. People fell for it too! Unbelievable.

Fitting in to the early internet thread. Blair witch came out at the perfect time where people had just enough access to see some of the ( earliest?) online viral marketing which blurred the 'is it or isn't it real' line. It really was a case of right place, right time for that movie.

• Paid Members

The new Blair Witch is tremendous. I posted a wee review of it a few pages back, and if you want spoilers Barry, I'm your mang.

The final third is something else. It just takes a turn into the absolutely crackers (in a good way)

You see the witch for a brief shot in what looks like - from what I remember - a cross between Slender Man, Eddie from Iron Maiden, Cloverfield monster and the Ring dead face, and from what I gather, time is irrelevant in the woods

I will say the tunnel scene from the trailers is ridiculously claustrophobic.

If you like the whole Blair Witch 'mythos' (I even liked Book of Shadows) you'll love this. If not, then it's just going to be another faceless horror.

Fitting in to the early internet thread. Blair witch came out at the perfect time where people had just enough access to see some of the ( earliest?) online viral marketing which blurred the 'is it or isn't it real' line. It really was a case of right place, right time for that movie.

Mothman Prophecies did something similar. There was a massive viral marketing campaign to make folk believe that the film was based on real events and sightings. Certainly freaked my then girlfriend out.

On a slight tangent but my brothers girlfriend at the time was convinced the "found footage" in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake was real because "why would they fake video footage, it has to be real". She was a bit thick in fairness.

• Paid Members

Add me to the dopes who thought the first Blair Witch was legit.
It finished, credits rolling and me and the ex walked out of the cinema on opening night saying "That's a cunting snuff movie!!! How did they get away with that?"

But with me you're dealing with somebody who didn't get the twist in the Sixth Sense until the way home from the flicks in the car, when my girlfriend at the time had to explain it to me.