DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Saw Gravity last night. Easily the best film I've seen this year. Just loved it from start to finish.

Savage, wasn't it?

I saw a press screening of it with my mate two months ago in a shitty cinema room in Dublin City Center, but went the whole hog at the weekend on a big, fuck off 3D screen. Beautiful viewing second time round.

MY big gripe with the flick was

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

the hallucination of Clooney. I thought it was sentimental, nonsensical tripe and really took me out of the story

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Saw Gravity last night. Easily the best film I've seen this year. Just loved it from start to finish.

Savage, wasn't it?

I saw a press screening of it with my mate two months ago in a shitty cinema room in Dublin City Center, but went the whole hog at the weekend on a big, fuck off 3D screen. Beautiful viewing second time round.

the hallucination of Clooney. I thought it was sentimental, nonsensical tripe and really took me out of the story

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've heard a few moans about that scene. I didn't mind it tbh but I understand why people disliked it.

• Paid Members

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's one of the very few times the Clooney charm was a turn off. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

For a moment I thought they were genuinely going to have Clooney just float himself back into the film, through sheer willpower.

I think I completely missed the point of the trailers I've seen of Gravity. Essentially all I saw was a woman spinning around in Space. I really like Sandra Bullock so I was tempted to go see it, but I don't know if I'd be wasting my time.

The trailer is nonsense, it made me less excited for the film too. Definitely see it, but only in 3D, as I'm not sure it'll be nearly as good without it.

• Paid Members

Haven't watched it in 2D, but I suspect it will be pretty average (rather than total shit) without the immersive 3D experience. The story and acting are fine, but nothing outstanding.

If you're not arsed with 3D wonder, then go watch Captain Philips. Much better.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I didn't think Gravity was all that good to be honest. The pace was relentless to the point where I'd wish Bullock's character (who you couldn't possibly give a shit about) would just fucking die already. Its very much a blockbster in the Nolan vein of not being that well paced and relying on fog horns out of a paranoia that you're bored. Not as overly long though.

Its pretty and all though. In fact, if they just focused on how pretty it all was instead of the constant barrage of terrible things happening and just had Bullock and Cloony muttering to each other pretentiously I think I'd have liked it more.

• Paid Members

Vamp you made it sound so awful! Definitely not going to bother with it now. 3D in general can fuck off, it's half as bright as a normal film and you wear shades on top of that, great, especially as the payoff is so minute. The only time I ever enjoyed 3D was when I saw the first Thor film but I was tripping balls on acid at the time so it's probably not a fair judgement.

• Paid Members
Getting quite obsessed with Gary Busey films. Anybody recommend any good ones from the great man? Cheers!

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and The Buddy Holly Story are two that spring to mind immediately

yeh two good shouts there