DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Me and the missus were just discussing him at the weekend, as there was a lookalike at some local function and she was convinced it was actually Kiel himself.

We shouldn't feel sad really. He lived longer than many others with his condition, had a good career, and by all accounts had an enjoyable life.

And he had shit on the market.

Weird-2.jpg

It is sad though, for the purely selfish reason that he (or rather Jaws) is another iconic piece of the world that I grew up in that's now gone.

Shall mainly be watching The Humanoid, with Richard Kiel, which is a Starwars/Dr Who/Scifi rip off scored by Ennio Morricone and therefore fucking amazeballs as a tribute

Here's some of the soundtrack and yer is a bit The Mission like 

• Paid Members

Shall mainly be watching The Humanoid, with Richard Kiel, which is a Starwars/Dr Who/Scifi rip off scored by Ennio Morricone and therefore fucking amazeballs as a tribute

I don't know that one but I like Eegah, the 1962 B-movie with Richard Kiel as a giant young caveman. RIP Jaws, I met him at a sci fi convention once and he was a really classy nice chap. Like Digby said, he's had a good life and probably lived longer than I will so I can't be too sad.

Eegah-1962-Movie-Poster-HQ.jpg

I watched American Beauty for the first time yesterday. Take it most people have already seen it. Was real good, anyway. The complexity and emotions of the characters made it. Kevin Spacey's a real good actor, and one I always forget about. I forget how good he is until I re-watch one of his movies.

He's in that House of Cards now, which I haven't seen. Anyone watch it?

• Paid Members

Watched Lucy on Saturday night, underdeveloped and a bit Akira-lite, but aside from that decent romp, decent action flick Not sure what people's problem is with it to be fair

I think the problem was that it was underdeveloped, and to anyone that had seen Akira, overly-derivative at times. The script was horrendous at times, cramming in a need to explain to the audience what's currently going on. The cutting back and forth of stock footage interfered with the flow, Morgan Freeman's role was pretty lightweight, and it descended into a glans rubbing SFX showreel towards the end.

Overall I just thought the film spoiled itself with it's needless mishmashing. It felt like it had a dozen directors that couldn't agree on anything.

• Paid Members

Watched a cracker on MUBI, it was called "Old Joy". It's about 2 guys who go into a forest and laze about in a jacuzzi. Threatens to go into "Brokeback Mountain" territory but it doesn't. It sounds awful, but it's really good.

http://www.mubi.com

http://mubi.com/films/old-joy

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that as well. Some crackers on Mubi at the moment - Brute Force, Kuroneko, M, The Holy Mountain, Kwaidan, Ghost World, Confessions and a few others.

Why the fuck have they got The Business on there though?