DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The music was absolutely stunning. One of the most nervewracking soundtracks I've ever heard. The only thing I didn't understand was why Johansson had an English accent in it but I guess for an American it might be easier to effect than a Scottish ones. What an absolutely fearless performance as well.

Yeah, a mate and I deduced after the film that it was purely because her weegie accent was probably detrimental. Although I think the accent sort of works because it accentuates what she is and her struggles.

The scenes with Adam Pearson are glorious, as is his performance. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Inception. And I love it more and more with every viewing.

Now before everyone emotionally canes me here, let me explain that I enjoy Christopher Nolan, and his yarns. I found/find Inception to be jaw dropping at points and although the dream within a dream within a dream seems/is ludicrously contrived and arrogant, I’ve always been obsessed with the idea of astral projection, sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming etc since I was a wee lad, so a flick like this just works for, and appeals to, me.

I think every member of the cast played their part brilliantly (even Ellen Page, who I normally hate having to sit and look at/listen to), especially Tom Hardy who almost played his ultra tough but refined role, a bit camp. Yet, it worked. Unlike his shiting Bane work.  

Far be it for me to heap praise on Hans Zimmer, but his score is fucking blinding for this one (I attribute some of that to the chap from The Smiths, however) and the compositions Time and Dream Within A Dream give me a serious dose of the goosebumps.

So now I unapologetically and eagerly await Interstellar. Although if Zimmer does more of that “BWWWAARRRRRR” nonsense, I’ll be disappointed.

I’ll admit, I pissed myself at “Fuck you, with your 48 percent body fat, and you, you scrawny bastard”  I’ll watch that bit again, definitely.  But even as the most staunch Arnie fan I struggle to find anything positive to say about this.

No redeeming qualities whatsoever, and believe me, that hurts to say.

It really was the saving grace of the film, it was certainly a lol moment for me too, and most people I bet. The rest of the film was piss poor though, shame really as I've pretty much liked all of Arnies 3rd era comeback films. I can only hope he put in a shit film to get it out of his system, because Terminator Genisys is going to be great, I'm not expecting T2 levels, but something that will erase (haha I know) Salvation, and have the series go off on a better note. 

I watched Expendables 3 finally, I thought it was good, but probably the worst of the 3. The movie fails in the middle where they are introducing the new era guys, the whole idea of these films was for them to be a throw back to the good old days. So trying to appeal to the younger age, seems odd, I only vaguely follow MMA so only knew who Rousey was, if the rest even do MMA anyway. The start and end were great though and it was cool to see Snipes kicking ass again on the big screen. If they make Expendables 4, hopefully the new guys are killed off in the opening scene to be replaced by Jackie Chan, Michael Jai White, Chow Yun-fat and Mark Dacascos.

I also watched China O'Brien and Tiger Claws. Even though O'Brien seems to be the cult favourite, I much preferred Tiger Claws. Thought it had more and better action and it's got Bolo playing a nutter consumed by the tiger claw style, without him it probably would have been crap.  

Edited by The Total Package

• Paid Members

I watched Edge Of Tomorrow at the weekend and thought it was bloody fantastic. A super fun big blockbuster with a smart storyline and really easy to watch. Tom Cruise gets a bad rap most the time due to his dodgy personal life but I like him in most things he's in, this included. Plus Emily Blunt is in it and she's just lovely beyond words. It's a shame this movie was a bit of a flop because it's miles better than Godzilla, Man Of Steel, Pacific Rim, Transformers and all those over overhyped big budget movies that were complete shite but made loads of money. Go watch it.

I watched Edge Of Tomorrow at the weekend and thought it was bloody fantastic. A super fun big blockbuster with a smart storyline and really easy to watch. Tom Cruise gets a bad rap most the time due to his dodgy personal life but I like him in most things he's in, this included. Plus Emily Blunt is in it and she's just lovely beyond words. It's a shame this movie was a bit of a flop because it's miles better than Godzilla, Man Of Steel, Pacific Rim, Transformers and all those over overhyped big budget movies that were complete shite but made loads of money. Go watch it.

I'll second that. Edge of Tomorrow is a ton of fun. I loved the video game style of the plot.

I haven't seen the other films you mentioned, but Godzilla was a major letdown.

Edited by Vice

I've watched Edge Of Tomorrow 3 times already, it really is a great sci fi film imo. I think it bombed for a number of reasons, one was the marketing for it was rubbish and they changed the cool original title which was "All You Need Is Kill" that sounds far more intriguing, rather than Edge Of Tomorrow which sounds like a crappy dystopia teen movie. Then there was the thing of Tom Cruise recently being in Oblivion before, I bet people looked at it and thought Oblivion 2 or something silly like that. I thought Oblivion was an ok film, but Edge ah fuck it All You Need Is Kill is a better film. The dumb marketing team even changed the name again for the home release to Live Die Repeat Edge Of Tomorrow. Jesus people are getting paid for this, it's like they know full well they fucked up but keep digging a hole for themselves.     

Emily Blunt is indeed nice, and I don't know why people called her anorexic in this, she looked more buffed out, like an athlete. 

Sadly this film ended up like Dredd, but unlike that, you don't really need a sequel, even though with a time travel story you could easily do one, Chest or anyone that hasn't seen it yet should definitely check it out.

I also agree with Chest, in that Pacific Rim was fun and totally shits on the likes of Transformers. So glad we are getting Pacific Rim 2.

• Awards Moderator

Edge Of Tomorrow is one of my favourite films I've seen this year. I wasn't fussed about it at all when I initially heard about it, but the more I saw the trailer (which was in front of most films, it seemed) the more it started to win me over, to the point where I really wanted to see it, which was a good decision because it was excellent, really good fun, with a cracking premise, Emily Blunt being generally great and Tom Cruise being better than he's been in ages.

I liked Pacific Rim, but if I'd been eight or ten when I saw it, I imagine it'd have become an all-time favourite.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators

I've watched Edge Of Tomorrow 3 times already, it really is a great sci fi film imo. I think it bombed for a number of reasons, one was the marketing for it was rubbish and they changed the cool original title which was "All You Need Is Kill" that sounds far more intriguing, rather than Edge Of Tomorrow which sounds like a crappy dystopia teen movie. Then there was the thing of Tom Cruise recently being in Oblivion before, I bet people looked at it and thought Oblivion 2 or something silly like that. I thought Oblivion was an ok film, but Edge ah fuck it All You Need Is Kill is a better film. The dumb marketing team even changed the name again for the home release to Live Die Repeat Edge Of Tomorrow. Jesus people are getting paid for this, it's like they know full well they fucked up but keep digging a hole for themselves.     

Emily Blunt is indeed nice, and I don't know why people called her anorexic in this, she looked more buffed out, like an athlete. 

Sadly this film ended up like Dredd, but unlike that, you don't really need a sequel, even though with a time travel story you could easily do one, Chest or anyone that hasn't seen it yet should definitely check it out.

I also agree with Chest, in that Pacific Rim was fun and totally shits on the likes of Transformers. So glad we are getting Pacific Rim 2.

As much as it pains me to say this when you are agreeing with me "All you need is Kill" is such an amazingly bad name for a film that defending it almost completely invalidates the rest of your points..

I think in terms of modern-day big-budget blockbusters, Pacific Rim was just okay. Miles ahead of the Transformers films and probably slightly better than Man of Steel, but nowhere near as good as Marvel's Phase 2 efforts or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I think it got a pretty easy ride critically too due to del Toro directing.

I've just watched The Expendables 2 in preparation for when the third hits DVD. I thought the first was pretty shit, was too po-faced and serious, although Austin was good fun. This one was much better, it seemed to have it's tongue in its cheek much more than the first and JCVD probably walks away with the film. 

• Paid Members

If I could be a kid again just for one day I'd probably watch Pacific Rim on loop. As it is, I just couldn't get in to it. I think it needed a better hero than shitty Charlie Hunnam.

I kind of agree with that. I'd probably have enjoyed it if I was a kid (giant robots and aliens fighting, yay!) but as an adult I really really hated it and was bored senseless. All the human characters were shit and the battle sequences were incredibly uninspired and not a single one stood out. I found it to be a slightly better made but still dull Transformers. I agree that this coming from Del Toro saved it from the critical bashing it should have got and also probably played a part in my dislike of it, because I was expecting so much more.

I don't think anyone can defend Godzilla though surely, that was a steaming piece of shit.

As much as it pains me to say this when you are agreeing with me "All you need is Kill" is such an amazingly bad name for a film that defending it almost completely invalidates the rest of your points..

Haha no worries man, It's ok to disagree, I just don't think Edge Of Tomorrow is a good title either. 

I don't think anyone can defend Godzilla though surely, that was a steaming piece of shit.

Apart from when Godzilla himself was on screen, yes. That alone makes it better than the old 90's Godzilla film. Maybe with part 2 they will finally get it right.

Edited by The Total Package