DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Fermat's Room is a little gem of a film. Have you seen Das Experiment?

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment.

• Paid Members

21 Jump street was much funnier than I was expecting it to be, wish I'd have watched it sooner, it had been on the 'will get around to it one day' pile. Saturday was that day.

Worth a look for sure, bit of a different spin on the buddy cop film is the best way I can describe it with 'American Pie' style comedy, but other folks on here might be able to do better at summing it up.

Fermat's Room is a little gem of a film. Have you seen Das Experiment?

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment.

Never saw Das Experiment, but did see the English remake with Adrian Brodie and Forrest Whitaker. Should have been better than it was, but considering it was only being rented from Blockbuster its not like it broke the bank or anything

• Paid Members
Never saw Das Experiment, but did see the English remake with Adrian Brodie and Forrest Whitaker. Should have been better than it was, but considering it was only being rented from Blockbuster its not like it broke the bank or anything

Yeah, watch the original, it's fantastic. The director has since gone on to direct that Princess Diana film, though, so his best days may already be behind him unfortunately.

His next film sounds promising

The Angel Face: The true story of the German mafia hitman, Giorgio Basile, AKA "Angel Face", who was connected to the Calabrian 'Ndrangheta crime syndicate and became a state witness against the Italian mafia in 1998.

Plus he also managed Downfall and Five Minutes of Heaven was decent so i'll give him another shot. Didn't get around to seeing The Invasion (apparently terrible, was sacked during filming) and didn't plan on watching Diana even if it had incredible reviews.

Edited by ultimo the great

• Paid Members

Watched the original Poltergeist and The Deep over the last couple of nights.

Poltergeist is still fantastic, most of the effects still hold up today, only the hand drawn stuff really dating it. Spielbergs finger prints are all over it (Depending on who you listen to he basically made the film alongside ET but couldn't legally 'direct' it due to the clause in his contract)

Its easy to see why so many people believe it looking back at it now, Hooper had only made a few low budget horror films ranging from very shit (Eaten Alive) to the fantastic (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and then he somehow made this gem, a film that stands out like a sore thumb from everything else he would do after it. He almost immediately went back to making hit and miss B movies straight after.

I also watched The Deep. Released mainly to cash in on the success of Jaws (They were both written by Peter Benchley) I always seem to remember it for two reasons, the cool Jaws rip off poster which was the front of the movie tie in book that my dad had, and the scene with the Moray eel which scared the shit out of me as a child much to my dads amusement.

Watching it back its a popcorn movie about drug smugglers, Sunken treasure and divers. Its only saving grace is a fantastic cast, Robert Shaw being as fantastic as ever, Nick Nolte, Eli Wallach and a young Louis Gossett Jr.

I rewatched Poltergeist too recently, and as you say it's every inch a Spielberg movie. Really upsetting too, I found - the torment of the parents was particularly gruelling.

I think the last 5/10 minutes let it down, the "surprise" 2nd ending. Too shlock, should have finished it earlier. Other than that though, still a great film.

Got Poltergeist on Bluray but haven't got round to watching it yet. Watched four films over the last couple of days, I Spit on Your Grave remake, Creepshow and Dawn of the Dead (original) on Sunday and Them last night. Didn't like I Spit, thought it was better than the original in terms of the revenge scenes but still utter crap, Creepshow was awesome with a nice mix of styles with the segments, Dawn was brilliant if not goofy while Them was an utter waste of time, it's only 74 mins but it feels longer and is in no way as terrifying as the cover makes it out to be

• Paid Members
I rewatched Poltergeist too recently, and as you say it's every inch a Spielberg movie. Really upsetting too, I found - the torment of the parents was particularly gruelling.

I think the last 5/10 minutes let it down, the "surprise" 2nd ending. Too shlock, should have finished it earlier. Other than that though, still a great film.

I watched the 2 sequels after it, They seem to pick everything that was bad about the first and build on it. Things like showing inside the light, relying more on creature scares and the false endings. The second film main saving grace is Kain, a man whos face used to scare the shit out of me as a kid, he was genuinely creepy. The third film is shit and has about 3 false endings and it just doesnt sit right after watching all 3 films seeing the parts where they have used a double because Heather O'Rouke was obviously dead by the time they filmed that scene.

Creepshow is great fun, Leslie Nielson plays a scumbag fantastically and i was happily routing for him to kill Danson and his wonderful hair.

Dawn is still one of my favorite films off all time, I just love it, I'm a massive fan of the remake as well, in fact I was looking for the Directors Cut on Blu Ray (anyone know if its available?) when I bought Poltergeist.

Finally got round to popping Netflix on to watch Seven Psychopaths on Sunday night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and one of those flicks I'm going to watch a second time, with the knowledge it'll be a different film this time round. Everyone playing themselves tickled me thoroughly for some reason - the whole movie was almost one big joke on the in-joke genre, and I liked it :)

Recommended!

• Paid Members
Dawn is still one of my favorite films off all time, I just love it, I'm a massive fan of the remake as well, in fact I was looking for the Directors Cut on Blu Ray (anyone know if its available?) when I bought Poltergeist.

The Dawn remake is indeed available on Blu-ray. However its been released in every major and some minor territory except the UK. The US blu can be had for just over 7 quid delivered from amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers.

EDIT - the US edition is region free

Edited by DEF