RAW discussion 18/2/13

hallicks

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The new belt's better than the spinner, but not by much. I love the side plates, they look very cool, but the main plate is pony. Mind you, the probable reason I think that is because I've always hated the scratch logo, and making it massive is possibly the only way they could make it worse.

The biggest problem, though, is just the sheer number of gems on that thing. A few are OK, but that many? The whole thing looks like it's been specifically designed to be hocked in for a flatscreen.

If you mean newbie in the sense of someone who has never had a world title match at WrestleMania before, the same would apply to Sheamus and Bryan last year, and Del Rio the year before that.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Didn't say it was a new concept, just saying its nice to see someone who hasnt had a title match before get one at Mania.

It seems to be something they've decided to do for their 'secondary' title match at Mania over the past few years and I like it.

• Paid Members

Haven't seen the actual show yet but there's nowt wrong with the new strap. I like it. It's not a patch on the winged eagle designs but it absolutely SMOKES the last one. I actually quite like the amount of black used for instance. The bulls on the sideplates will probably keep changing depending on who holds it. I.e if Sheamus has it they'll put celtic crosses on it, Cena would have his initials, etc. You'll be able to buy those separately as gift extra or something.

• Paid Members
Haven't seen the actual show yet but there's nowt wrong with the new strap. I like it. It's not a patch on the winged eagle designs but it absolutely SMOKES the last one. I actually quite like the amount of black used for instance. The bulls on the sideplates will probably keep changing depending on who holds it. I.e if Sheamus has it they'll put celtic crosses on it, Cena would have his initials, etc. You'll be able to buy those separately as gift extra or something.

Now you mention it, that is a clever bit of marketing on their part if true - I'd imagine loss of merch appeal was always going to be a bit of a worry when they did decide to finally drop the spinner belt, given how kids love it.

In fact, I might be over-thinking this, but could it be part of the "moving with the generations" strategy? First, give the kids a spinny belt - simple mechanism, feels like a toy. Next, make one less like a toy, but with collectible side-plate bits, as those kids will probably now be at the age where they're collecting stickers, trading cards or Pogs or whatever it is that's collectible these days. If so, great idea.

Brock vs Taker could in theory happen now, with Lesnar coming to Heymans aid during his 'fight' with Vince, only for the lights to go out and Taker to come to Vinces aid. Its possible, makes sense and would be logical.

OR it could be The Shield. Shield help Heyman, attack vince, same scenario. IF they wanted Taker to lose, surely in a 3 on 1 handicap match it'd be less of a shock.

Neither will happen though.

I am still somewhat undecided about the new belt.It looked okay for a bit whilst on the table but those side plates look awful.Mabye it's a grower.Saying that as was mentioned earlier the side plates may mean it's only a temp belt.

As much as I was looking forward to Rock Vs Cena again at Mania it really would be a shame if Punk ended up doing something of little value at the event.That and a triple threat sounds very intriguing.The three way promos between them would surely be gold.

I reckon Maddox as Assistant to the General Manager or Assistant General Manager or Supervising Assistant or whatever the position is could be good.Saying that there's no way they should be pushing him as a face so hopefully he stays a heel.

Heyman Vs Vince in a Street Fight at Mania is a possibility no?

Swagger and Coulter are a fine double act so far.Swagger still has some flaws to iron out but he's been looking pretty good since his return.

Hopefully they've got more for Henry to do after he ploughs through Khali.

Raw next week should be good next week especially with the Punk Vs Cena match.

• Paid Members

Words can't describe how much I hate the idea of a three-way main event involving Punk. Sticking him with Rock and Cena would absolutely kill my excitement dead. Mania main events should be one on one, in my mind. Three ways just feel diluted. Plus, I'm sorry, but even after a year with the belt Punk still feels nowhere near ready to headline a stadium Wrestlemania. For whatever reason, it still feels like a kid being allowed to sit with the grown ups at dinner. He's just not that big of a star. He probably never will be. Cena vs. Rock 2, this time for the Title, is THE match. Everything has built towards this for the past few years. CM Punk shitting it up is the last thing I want to see. I'm not even that arsed about him going against Taker, but if it keeps him away from the main event then I'm all for it.

Words can't describe how much I hate the idea of a three-way main event involving Punk. Sticking him with Rock and Cena would absolutely kill my excitement dead. Mania main events should be one on one, in my mind. Three ways just feel diluted. Plus, I'm sorry, but even after a year with the belt Punk still feels nowhere near ready to headline a stadium Wrestlemania. For whatever reason, it still feels like a kid being allowed to sit with the grown ups at dinner. He's just not that big of a star. He probably never will be. Cena vs. Rock 2, this time for the Title, is THE match. Everything has built towards this for the past few years. CM Punk shitting it up is the last thing I want to see. I'm not even that arsed about him going against Taker, but if it keeps him away from the main event then I'm all for it.

I'd agree with pretty much all of this. I'm hoping that Punk's just playing the same role Kurt Angle did around this time in 2001.

• Paid Members

2002, I think you mean. Possibly. That's when he nicked Triple H's shot at No Way Out before losing it back to him. But yeah, I'm 100% in that camp too. I don't want Punk anywhere near that match. If Taker's not coming back, there's plenty of unresolved stuff with Punk and the Shield, especially with Maddox in an authority role now.

The argument that he's earned it is a bit selective, too. Punk's had tons of perks already. He's had the belt for over a year. He's had a Wrestlemania match with one of his favourites who loves putting guys like Punk over. He's turned heel on the fucking Rock. He's stood tall at the end of the 1000th episode of Raw. He's got to do a ton of fun stuff on TV with the guy who helped him get his break. He's got to be a part of bringing in a darling of his old home promotion in Seth Rollins AND the management's favourite NXT guy (who Punk also loves) in Ambrose. And he's capped his title reign off by main eventing 2 pay per views against the fucking Rock. He's had a ton of perks, all of which are a payoff for him getting the fuck out of the title picture so they can make a fuckton of money with Wrestlemania (and possibly to get him to stick around after he's 35, although I'd imagine his likely rise after a long title reign and move onto the 4-new-shirts-a-year merch chain will help cover that base).

2002, I think you mean. Possibly. That's when he nicked Triple H's shot at No Way Out before losing it back to him.

No, I mean 2001, when he lost the title to The Rock at No Way Out and then kept annoying Rock and Austin for a few weeks trying to get back in the title picture for WrestleMania.

Archived