RAW discussion 18/2/13

hallicks

• Paid Members
Rocky said belt :( He's gonna get told off.

Who the fuck else apart from Kevin Dunn would give a shit he said that?

First Dutch Mantel sneaks past him, now this. Dunn must be losing a step.

If you notice Rock actually corrects himself right after he says 'belt' as well and then never says it again during that little speech.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I wouldn't be against a 3-way match at all. F they did go down that route, you'd actually interest three significant portions (if not each portion) of the fanbase: The kids and people who have only been a fan of the product for a shorter timeframe will be pulling for John Cena. The nostalgia/attitude era buffs will be supporting The Rock, and the internet audience will be firmly behind CM Punk. Punk's inclusion gives both Rock and Cena some heel foil in the run up, and then I'd imagine Cena actually pins Punk rather than The Rock in the match. I'd imagine they'll protect Rock for future dates, assuming he does them, and Cena winning is virtually a given anyway.

I've been critical of Punk in the past, but the last two matches with The Rock have done more to elevate him to top table status than most of his title reign. I don't know why, but at No Way Out in particular I think he stepped it up a gear. He looked like he totally belonged against someone like Rock. The time to bring Punk up to that kind of level and keep him there is now. Going with Rock/Cena II and not having Punk anywhere near it, only for him to challenge after Backlash will just be lacklustre, and he'll never reach that sort of height again. He might not be in that sort of league now, as some say, but now is their chance to actually rectify that. Actually, he'll probably get the loudest reaction in that setting at Mania too.

• Paid Members

Alot of people have been saying "Punk doesn't belong in the main event of Wrestlemania" "he's not on Rock/Cena's level" but I think that's bullshit. Putting him in the main event will bring him up a level and hopefully establish him as a true main eventer. You got to take a chance on someone eventually and Punk has earned his spot.

Also the storyline possibilities are far greater and the match will probably be a lot more exciting too. And who really wants to see the same shit they did last year all over again? With a 3 way you got "the dastardly cheating bastard who held the belt for over a year and will do anything to get it back" vs "the good guy who hasn't held the belt for years, is coming off some big defeats in the previous year and is desperate to beat the man who beat him last year and get the belt, except he has to go through this violent dangerous man who has beaten him several times" vs "the man of the people who came back to prove he's still got it and now has to defend the belt against the two biggest threats in the company, both 100% dedicated to taking the title away from him". It's bloody epic stuff in my opinion.

Alot of people have been saying "Punk doesn't belong in the main event of Wrestlemania" "he's not on Rock/Cena's level" but I think that's bullshit. Putting him in the main event will bring him up a level and hopefully establish him as a true main eventer. You got to take a chance on someone eventually

So the longest title reign in 25 years doesn't count as "taking a chance" on someone, didn't "bring him up a level" nor established him as a true main eventer for you? Considering your post was made out of blind CM Punk loyalty, you've made him seem like a bit of a loser in your eyes.

Re: Wrestlemania triple threat

There's been a couple of great triple threat matches at Wrestlemania, first is obviously HHH vs HBK vs Voldemort, but WM22's Rey vs Orton vs. Angle was excellent too, albeit short. We've had almost 2 years of Rock/Cena hype, they've already had the Wrestlemania main event, and directly re-hashing it makes it seem like an easy way to give Cena his win back. Add Punk, and the Rock/Cena, Cena/Punk and Rock/Punk feuds- which basically covers the major programs of the past 2 years, and we have a fresh new dynamic, a shitload of star power, and a much better match. It's unlikely Rock and Cena have anything new to bring to the table since last year's match, and the Elimination Chamber showed that The Rock needs some serious protecting out there- the more I think about it, the more I really dislike Rock/Punk II, despite flashes of good chemistry at the Rumble, Rock can't do good 20 min+ main events without completely gassing in his current physical state.

• Paid Members
Alot of people have been saying "Punk doesn't belong in the main event of Wrestlemania" "he's not on Rock/Cena's level" but I think that's bullshit. Putting him in the main event will bring him up a level and hopefully establish him as a true main eventer. You got to take a chance on someone eventually and Punk has earned his spot.

WrestleMania main events are not the time to be,"bringing people up a level," "establishing them," or taking chances that, "hopefully," pay off. It's the time for putting on your biggest match with your the biggest stars. That's Cena vs. The Rock II. Punk's not even close to their level, despite everything they've given him this past year. He barely belongs in the Taker match, never mind the final match on the card.

• Paid Members
Alot of people have been saying "Punk doesn't belong in the main event of Wrestlemania" "he's not on Rock/Cena's level" but I think that's bullshit. Putting him in the main event will bring him up a level and hopefully establish him as a true main eventer. You got to take a chance on someone eventually

So the longest title reign in 25 years doesn't count as "taking a chance" on someone, didn't "bring him up a level" nor established him as a true main eventer for you? Considering your post was made out of blind CM Punk loyalty, you've made him seem like a bit of a loser in your eyes.

Blind CM Punk loyalty? Where the fuck have you got that from? I am a Punk fan but I am more than aware of his faults and as a person think he's a bit of a prick. I'm not one of the posters who faps over how great he is in every single thread. I save that for Mark Henry.

When I say take a chance I meant taking a chance on someone new in a Wrestlemania main event and actually present them as being on the same level of Rock/Cena on the biggest stage of them all. If they do that then maybe the fans will actually believe it. I think Wrestlemania is absolutely the place to be establishing people and bringing them up another level. Batista vs. Triple H is a prime example of this. We've already seen Cena/Rock, I want them to change things up a bit. And no single wrestling fan is going to say "I was going to buy Wrestlemania when it was just Rock/Cena but now they've added Punk to make it a 3 way I don't think I'll bother."

Blind CM Punk loyalty? Where the fuck have you got that from?

Posts where you talk about CM Punk like he's an up-and-comer who finally needs to be given his big break, and liken his situation this year to that of 2005 Batista. It's a common thing with certain CM Punk fans, the attitude that no matter what he's given, it's never enough and he's always owed more. He's just had the longest WWE title reign in two and a half decades, he's beaten John Cena numerous times, he's had two pay-per-view main events against The Rock, he's successfully defended the title at WrestleMania, he's been allowed to blast the company on-air, he's beaten Ryback when Ryback still had momentum, and so on and so forth. But of course, none of that matters and if WWE stopped holding him down, he'd be in the title match at WrestleMania this year/end the streak/hold the belt for two more years/never act like he was scared of a babyface/always win clean/all of the above/all of the above without breaking a sweat. THEN, if they finally gave him all that stuff (all of which he deserves), he'd be a star on Cena and Rock's level.

• Paid Members
Blind CM Punk loyalty? Where the fuck have you got that from?

Posts where you talk about CM Punk like he's an up-and-comer who finally needs to be given his big break, and liken his situation this year to that of 2005 Batista. It's a common thing with certain CM Punk fans, the attitude that no matter what he's given, it's never enough and he's always owed more. He's just had the longest WWE title reign in two and a half decades, he's beaten John Cena numerous times, he's had two pay-per-view main events against The Rock, he's successfully defended the title at WrestleMania, he's been allowed to blast the company on-air, he's beaten Ryback when Ryback still had momentum, and so on and so forth. But of course, none of that matters and if WWE stopped holding him down, he'd be in the title match at WrestleMania/end the streak/hold the belt for two more years/never act like he was scared of a babyface/always win clean/all of the above/all of the above without breaking a sweat. THEN, if they finally gave him all that stuff (all of which he deserves), he'd be a star on Cena and Rock's level.

I don't think Punk is owed anything, you're putting words in my mouth (..or is that text in my posts?). I just want to see something fresh. I don't want to see the same shitty Rock/Cena fued that we saw last year. I think Cena/Punk/Rock would be a lot more interesting. I don't think WWE are holding him down and have never said that. In fact I'm amazed they stuck with him after his dreadful babyface title run. Personally I think Cena should win the belt at Wrestlemania to finish off this two year Punk/Cena/Rock storyline and then WWE can move onto something else and Punk can drop out of the title scene. I'm no blind Punk fan, I just think he belongs in the WM main event and can't see any good reason why he shouldn't be.

WrestleMania main events are not the time to be,"bringing people up a level," "establishing them," or taking chances that, "hopefully," pay off.

I dunno... although this is all very subjective... off the top of my head Benoit at WM20 and Michaels at WM12 would certainly fit into that category for me. They were both roughly on the same level as Punk at that point in time for me. I.e. Good workers who could deliver a solid main event match, but weren't necessarily "top guys".

Personally I see Punk as a ligit main eventer, and don't think he has any "establishing" to do whatsoever. He has certainly done himself VERY proud in the last year, and fully deserving of the spot.

This thread has got far too much chitter, and more than its share of chatter, about shit that just isn't important.

Will he or won't he join the main event?

Who cares.

As long as Zeb Coulter and Mark Henry are around, we'll be alright. The State of the Union address was good, but the YouTube video was just fantastic. Superb stuff.

Archived