Raw - Monday 11th February 2013

dopper

That isn't a heels job at all. A heels job is to find a way to win even if he is at a moral disadvantage. Only shit heels are deluded. Or if they are playing the big over the top role, like the Rock used to. Punk isn't deluded. He's got Heyman to pay people to make sure he wins. Thats calculated, not deluded. The fact is, Rock and Cena IS happening, so Punk going "I hope we draw Cena in th next round" not only makes Cena look like a plank but also Cena vs Punk isn't going to happen so you are doing it for no end game. All it does is build up the Undertaker. Who doesn't need it.

You're right.

I must be confused.

Between CM Punk calling himself God; CM Punk ranting after losing the title that it's still his; Heyman insisting that it wasn't him in the video; Punk agreeing with him and the script-straight-from-the-McMahons reading, narrative-controlling announcers saying things along the lines of "PUNK'S DELUDED! HEYMAN'S DELUDED! ...THEY'RE BOTH DELUDED!" id somehow gotten the impression that they wanted us to believe that Punk was deluded.

If CM Punk/Heyman pushed that given their recent history, and given the relative context of Wrestlemania, they'd rather wrestle anyone but Taker, I don't think it's a big deal.

Plus, if a parallel arc is saying that Cena needs to overcome a rut then surely, as long as the outcome is right, then they compliment each other perfectly?

I mean, if Cena says he doesn't know if he can beat Rock and Punk fancies his chances gains Cena over Taker but then Rock wins? Yeah, that's shit. But if he wins, he vindicates himself.

It's like if Triple H had said 'you can't wrestle' to Cena, then won. That's have been shit too.

But, then, people kicked off and missed the point of that, too.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Between CM Punk calling himself God; CM Punk ranting after losing the title that it's still his; Heyman insisting that it wasn't him in the video; Punk agreeing with him and the script-straight-from-the-writers reading, narrative-controlling announcers saying things long the lines of "PUNK'S DELUDED! HEYMAN'S DELUDED! ...THEY'RE BOTH DELUDED!" id somehow gotten the impression that they wanted us to believe that Punk was deluded.

You are missing the point. Because they are portrayed by the dumb announces as deluded, doesn't mean they are. The announcers aren't in the war room hearing Heyman's plans of how to dig them out of the next thing they find themselves in. They find a way out of every scrape imaginable. The announcers are meant to be hooked in like ideas because they are the voice of the wider audience who they are supposed to be conning. You are failing to answer my complaint in this. IF there is going to be no Cena vs Punk match in the near future (because they wont be), why would Punk bring his name up as someone who he would rather face? If Cena had a chance of wrestling Punk fair enough. But now you are saying Cena is the one that WWE is trying to build up after a year of high profile defeats. Having the current challenger to the WWE title say "I'd rather have him" isn't a very good way of building Cena up for his match with the Rock at all. Its just another example of people thinking the heels shouldn't be showing their arse and should be built like fucking Goldberg when in reality their job is to sell the PPV and do a high profile job.

Also, Cena's just won the Royal Rumble. He pisses himself every week laughing at the fans boos in the arena and he's battered the Shield the last few weeks. His losing streak is long gone. Its Punk who would be going into WrestleMania off form, if anyone.

It's like if Triple H had said 'you can't wrestle' to Cena, then won. That's have been shit too. But, then, people kicked off and missed the point of that, too.

Yeah, its nothing like that at all.

Thing is, I only mentioned Cena to show that I think they could do that without harming anybody, and perhaps even compliment the result of the main.

As I said initially, I'd like it to be less clumsy and more implicit than that.

Heyman could just point out that without the WWE championship or a guaranteed rematch protcting Punks spot a the top of the company, then it's going to be open season, that Vince doesn't have to worry about his investment. 'He's going to open hell on us and try and rid us of the company'. That sort of thing.

Also you know that, particularly in relation to their younger viewers, they use their announcers to control the narrative and influence. If the say deluded, that's what the company want to project.

a funny bit of fantasy booking came to mind whilst watching the opening promo, Heyman was in on it with Rock all along and screws Punk at Elimination Chamber thus turning Rock heel due to the Heyman alliance, Punk could use this to add to his big conspiracy theory that he is being screwed by the system.

Rock & Heyman could then go on to stack the odds against Cena and then when Cena wins at Mania, it sends the fans home "happy".

Far fetched I know but I just wanna see full on heel Rock again lol

• Paid Members

Problem with that idea is that you risk turning Punk face - not a good idea. Too soon, and he's better as a heel. Plus, it doesn't do anything for him or Cena, if you think about it: it could be argued that The Rock has passed the stage where he can be full-blown heel, mainly because he's become such a special attraction.

Problem with that idea is that you risk turning Punk face - not a good idea. Too soon, and he's better as a heel. Plus, it doesn't do anything for him or Cena, if you think about it: it could be argued that The Rock has passed the stage where he can be full-blown heel, mainly because he's become such a special attraction.

Yeah that was the only snag I saw when it ran through my mind.

• Paid Members

Vince Russo's 'Gay Rock' idea is better than that. The Rock has so much goodwill from the fans, right now, that they'll never boo him. In fact, I can see that idea killing this great Heyman storyline, as fans won't know how to react to the bloke, seeing as he's a bastard but he's mates with The Rock.

Rock v Cena II really doesn't need a complicated build. It's two of the biggest stars ever having a re-match for the biggest prize in wrestling - one is determined to keep the belt he craved for ten long years, the other is desperate to end a supposed losing streak and right a wrong by winning the championship that has alluded him for over a year.

RAW was alright, but going back to the original few posts of this thread about the Streak - I think one of the few men who could build a legitimate threat to ending it is Lesnar. Punk, without the title, has no chance unfortunately. I don't doubt it'd be a good match between Punk and Taker but there wouldn't be any worry over the result in my eyes. Lesnar, however, would have the slightest chance of at least making people think he could end the Streak. (though I think we all know that won't ever happen)

One of the highlights of the night was when they went from Mantel's racist promo and cut STRAIGHT TO Booker and Teddy in the back watching it on the monitor and then Booker, without missing a beat, was all "Now that's what I'm talking about! That's a real American. What a stud. He's in the Chamber!"

This company really shouldn't do grown up people stuff.

I feel like I say this everytime Mania comes round, but Punk just isn't a big deal on the Mania-sized stage. Punk/Taker is absolutely destined to be Taker's quietest and least-intriguing Mania match since Mark Henry if it happens. It was the same for Punk against Jericho, Orton, Rey, all the usual. He's just not a guy to make a stadium go apeshit like the real stars do. I've really enjoyed Punk's act with Heyman too, so it's not like I don't think he warrants a spot on the big show. But a Taker match would be a nailed on strictly midcard attraction, and I don't think Taker deserves anything less than to be in a match that's at least perceived as the Main Event. Based on that, I'd be inclined to leave him off the show this year and give Punk something else to do.

I could have misjudged what the long run with the belt and most recent Cena and Rock feuds have done for Punk, but I'm still pretty certain on his status when it comes to these shows. All that said, I don't know actually what you would do with him, so for me I think he'd be best used reheating Ryback by definitively putting him over in a energetic No Holds Barred match or something.

Archived