Raw - Monday 11th February 2013

dopper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Rollins reminds me so much of Heath Ledger as The Joker from his mannerisms to facial expressions it is uncanny.

Assume you mean Ambrose?

Doh! :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the one.

In that case I absolutely agree with you about the resemblance, although I wouldn't say it was uncanny- more like a rip-off. That's not a complaint, I think he's great as the group's mouthpiece. I'd prefer if they had him do nearly all the talking.

• Paid Members

Just got done watching Raw. If, this time last week, someone had told me that:

a) Dutch Mantel would be back on WWE TV;

b) He'd be playing a version of the Uncle Zebekiah gimmick;

c) He'd cut an exceptionally close-to-the-knuckle, racially-charged promo;

d) He'd be managing Jack Swagger, and:

e) Jack Swagger would look likely to be on his way to a Wrestlemania "main event"

I would have wagered pretty much everything I own that no more than 2 of those things would be taking place concurrently. All 5, not a chance.

As an aside, I quite like the "Patriot Act" name for a finisher for a guy with that gimmick, but it just doesn't seem to fit the move in question. If they'd called the powerbomb that, and always had it as the lead-in to the Ankle Lock, no problem.

• Paid Members

It was quite nice. Even though he's probably forgotten by/unknown to a good chunk of the current audience, I liked that they didn't just bring him out as "who's this old geezer?" - as soon as he was in focus, Lawler was "Oh god, it's Zebekiah... I know what this guy thinks, this is going to be bad..." (to paraphrase). Made him seem instantly "relevant", IMO.

Just got done watching Raw. If, this time last week, someone had told me that:

a) Dutch Mantel would be back on WWE TV;

b) He'd be playing a version of the Uncle Zebekiah gimmick;

c) He'd cut an exceptionally close-to-the-knuckle, racially-charged promo;

d) He'd be managing Jack Swagger, and:

e) Jack Swagger would look likely to be on his way to a Wrestlemania "main event"

I would have wagered pretty much everything I own that no more than 2 of those things would be taking place concurrently. All 5, not a chance.

As an aside, I quite like the "Patriot Act" name for a finisher for a guy with that gimmick, but it just doesn't seem to fit the move in question. If they'd called the powerbomb that, and always had it as the lead-in to the Ankle Lock, no problem.

Think the patriot act suits submission move better as it links in to torture etc

It was quite nice. Even though he's probably forgotten by/unknown to a good chunk of the current audience, I liked that they didn't just bring him out as "who's this old geezer?" - as soon as he was in focus, Lawler was "Oh god, it's Zebekiah... I know what this guy thinks, this is going to be bad..." (to paraphrase). Made him seem instantly "relevant", IMO.

Them not presenting him as a new character was indeed a great touch. Lawler did that well with the whole "Is that who I think it is?" bit because I was thinking the same. Then after the match you had Teddy Long reinforce that, saying he remembered Zebekiah "from back in the day" and him and Lawler basically hinting this Zeb guy was a known nutter.

The best thing was I hadn't read it in any spoilers or anything so it was a pleasant surprise to see him. Second week in a row they've done that to me, following Mark Henry last week.

Really, the way they introduced his character was very good, particularly the way he wasn't introduced.

Normally when they bring someone in they'd have Swagger get on the stick and cut a promo saying "this is my new adviser, etc." or he'd at least be announced by the ring announcer and then the announcers would say "that's a surprise, so-and-so is back". Instead he just quietly walked out behind Swagger, like he'd just wandered down to the ring.

I've always thought Swagger was a good worker, albeit one who seemed to have been born in the wrong era. Can't help but think a guy with his height, size, background and legit credentials would have done great in Mid-South. If he can make the most of this then I don't see why he couldn't work his way back up the card.

As far as move names go: they used to call Swagger's modified Dr bomb variation "the Red, White and Blue bomb" for a while. Should've stuck with that.

Having Mantel back can only be a good thing because he has always been a really strong promo and if this angle doesn't work out then he's also of better colour commentators of all time.

• Paid Members
We are approaching Swaggers fifth year with the WWE now and bloke has done fuck all memorable and there has been very little development on his character from when he debuted.

You can't single Swagger out for that criticism though. Kofi and Ziggler have both been around for a couple of years longer than Swagger and their characters have hardly developed.

I'm delighted to see Swagger get a renewed push, hopefully this partnership with Zeb pushes him onto the next level.

"Patriot Act" name for a finisher for a guy with that gimmick, but it just doesn't seem to fit the move in question. If they'd called the powerbomb that, and always had it as the lead-in to the Ankle Lock, no problem.

Think the patriot act suits submission move better as it links in to torture etc

Isn't it "Patriact" ?

Archived