Raw - Monday 11th February 2013

dopper

Fantastic show.

Heyman was clearly hinting at Vince getting Undertaker to go after Punk because of Heymans actions, and is now trying to get him the title back so he faces Cena and not Taker. Nice little story, too. If I've read it right.

Dutch Mantell was fantastic, though this is the sort of storyline that could be great for Swagger whilst it lasts but will be a bitch to survive in the long run. It does make me worry that they've got Swagger/ADR in mind, though,

Henry squashed a midget. It was great.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Some good stuff on Raw tonight. Loved Dutch Mantel's promo. He's just got a brilliant voice and his delivery is great. His beloved grand daughter died from some twat drunk driver recently, so I'm glad he's getting back in the business he loves again. Enjoyed most of that.

Heyman was clearly hinting at Vince getting Undertaker to go after Punk because of Heymans actions, and is now trying to get him the title back so he faces Cena and not Taker. Nice little story, too. If I've read it right.

They aren't going to devalue Cena by hoping he wrestles him instead of Undertaker. If they are going with that its completely stupid to bury your number one guy by building him as the easy option. If Undertaker wrestles Punk it'll have nothing to do with whether Undertaker is the tougher challenge compared to Cena.

The Dutch return was a real 'Is that...oh that's pretty cool, let's see where this goes' moment. He's more than capable on the microphone and it would be nice if he got a consultant or producer's role out of it. It was really horrible hearing what his family have been through. Having him in Swagger's corner could really get Del Rio over more if the two are paired up against each other.

Rock's promo felt like a best man's speech at a wedding that wasn't happening with all the wacky anecdotes. And we all got our hopes up for a Taker appearance that didn't happen.

Quite happy with that show though, and the PPV looks like a fun bag to set us up for Mania.

Also, what the hell is going on with Rey? More in and outs than the hokey cokey.

Started watching too early so we ran out of fast-forward, daaaaamn.

Still loving the shield, I hope they can build some momentum.

Jericho vs Bryan was a really good match, nice to see Bryan have more than a 2 minute match.

Mantel's promo was good, a bit "fucking immigrants" though, so I was slightly worried.

• Paid Members

I thought Dutch was still heavily engrained in the TNA system? When was he let go? Could Jarrett be next?

Dutch has already been in the WWE. Anybody remember his stint managing The Blu's and Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw in 1996? It was rather shit.

They aren't going to devalue Cena by hoping he wrestles him instead of Undertaker. If they are going with that its completely stupid to bury your number one guy by building him as the easy option. If Undertaker wrestles Punk it'll have nothing to do with whether Undertaker is the tougher challenge compared to Cena.

Well, I assumed it was going to be implicit, rather than something they came back to. But I presumed the 'darkness descending' Heyman referred to was The Undertaker.

Anyway, they could run the story explicitly without it particularly harming Cena anyway. For the last year they've openly spoke about how Cena can't beat Punk, Punk has beaten him in twelve straight matches and they even had Cena cut a promo where he said it'd be near impossible to beat Punk at Wrestlemania.

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, it'd make more sense for Punk to want to fight a guy who he's beat a bunch of times and has the psychological edge over than a guy who turns up once a year, kicks shit off and doesn't lose.

Punk has already beaten Cena many times and the streak has been built up as the biggest challenge in wrestling history. Cena will win at Mania anyway so there is no harm in portraying him as the underdog

• Moderators

Fuck CM Punk, he's unimportant, gay and no-one cares. Dutch Fucking Mantell is what matters. His appearance caused my penis to fill with blood and become erect. Swagger always gets put with awesome people. Bunkhouse Buck, and now Dirty Dutch! It'll be Tommy Rich next and I'll throw a party in the street.

• Paid Members
Punk has already beaten Cena many times and the streak has been built up as the biggest challenge in wrestling history. Cena will win at Mania anyway so there is no harm in portraying him as the underdog

So they are going to build Cena going into a WrestleManaia main event by making him look like someone who is an easier option? Also, its just been revealed Paul Heyman has been paying people (be it referees or wrestlers) in get involved in matches for him. I'm sure Cena would rather face Punk (who he's beat clean on Raw in non-title matches with piss ease) than the Rock.

First of all, isn't the assumption with heels that they are deluded and just because they believe it, doesn't necessarily mean its true?

Secondly, you can approach it without having to devalue Cena in the slightest.

The night after The Rock wins you can have Heyman go into full on meltdown mode and when Punk calls him on it, he says something along the lines of 'do you know what's coming? Cena? That's a monumental challenge, HUGE, he's the one of the biggest superstars of all time BUT we've always found a way to win. By hook or by crook you have left with your health and legacy in tact. But what they have planned...I don't know if there is a way to win. I don't know if there's anything we can do.'

It's not like they're burying a knife in Cenas back, they are pointing out what they perceive to be the reality of Punk's recent history with Cena and what the perceive to be the reality of Punks future.

So they are going to build Cena going into a WrestleManaia main event by making him look like someone who is an easier option? Also, its just been revealed Paul Heyman has been paying people (be it referees or wrestlers) in get involved in matches for him. I'm sure Cena would rather face Punk (who he's beat clean on Raw in non-title matches with piss ease) than the Rock.

Based on Cenas promo, the story they are going to use to get to Wrestlemania is Cena attempting to break a crisis of confidence and shake off a bad year.

Even if they did run with a narrative of Cena being the easier option, which I'm not really suggesting, then it would only enhance the final result when Cena gets the monkey off his back.

• Paid Members
First of all, isn't the assumption with heels that they are deluded and just because they believe it, doesn't necessarily mean its true?

That isn't a heels job at all. A heels job is to find a way to win even if he is at a moral disadvantage. Only shit heels are deluded. Or if they are playing the big over the top role, like the Rock used to. Punk isn't deluded. He's got Heyman to pay people to make sure he wins. Thats calculated, not deluded. The fact is, Rock and Cena IS happening, so Punk going "I hope we draw Cena in th next round" not only makes Cena look like a plank but also Cena vs Punk isn't going to happen so you are doing it for no end game. All it does is build up the Undertaker. Who doesn't need it.

Fantastic show for the most part, good crowd too. They done the right thing with Swagger and put him with someone who can string a sentence together. He's doing a far-right nut job gimmick in the WWE though so I can't see the end result being anything but ugly.

I'm not sure what to make of the Shield promo. In some other thread there was talk of guys that can carry themselves like stars. Reigns and Ambrose do that for sure but the contrived your turn-my turn-your turn promo style makes it look like some dodgy school play. Rollins isn't near their level but he seems to have improved on the mic.

Don't know what the point to Rocks 'story' was. Maybe there was one but i was a bit distracted by the obnoxious fucking laughter track. Jerry Lawler is a legend, one of the best ever no doubt. But turn him back heel or, even better, throw him off a fucking cliff. I enjoy seeing Punk make a mockery of Rock and his homophobia. Who am I spose to be cheering?

Archived