Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
He's still making a shit, nob joke filled tweet after he's essentially been accused of sexual harassment. It doesn't matter who he's tweeting, that's pretty lame.

I'm not saying otherwise - it was pretty stupid of him to tweet that. Just clarifying what, or rather who, he was likely referring to in those tweets.

Edited by pgi86
Posted

Having just watched it, I'm baffled. She's laughing through it, his crotch doesn't come close to touching her, he and Roode were clearly heeling it up and making some hay out of the situation. You see heels intimidating referees and announcers all the time. Hemme's got knocked off the apron more than once, and threatened, had sexually suggestive gestures made at her... for years. It's half of her job. I mean, you can't clear every improvised moment with everyone in the company, can you?

 

I've seen so many worse things in a wrestling ring that I never would have picked this to be something that caused controversy. I'm wondering if Aries has a bit of a history with this sort of thing, or something.

Posted
I've seen so many worse things in a wrestling ring

 

This is true. Women have been treated like shit in a wrestling ring for so long now that its easy to lose perspective on things like this. The key difference is how the individual feels participating in it.

 

On a side note I'm so glad we don't see women getting beaten up by men anymore. Whenever the crowd cheered stuff like that it made me feel sick

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
On a side note I'm so glad we don't see women getting beaten up by men anymore. Whenever the crowd cheered stuff like that it made me feel sick

 

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I could never get on board with Stone Cold. I know he was meant to be a 'take no shit off of nobody' character, but when he was going around Stunning the likes of Lita and Stacy Keibler for the sake of it and the crowd was cheering, it just made me uncomfortable. Even in a 'take no shit' mould, men beating up women is not something I like seeing from a babyface. Or a heel, for that matter. The threat of it from a heel, resulting in a triumphant babyface - and the lady - giving him his comeuppance, yes, I'm happy to see that. But it's great that WWE doesn't use male-female violence in that context anymore.

 

However, I'm all for a female wrestler showing herself equal to a male counterpart in the ring, the way Lita or Beth Phoenix would sometimes do.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I remember Randy Orton giving Stacy Keibler an RKO and being uncomfortable with that. However, there is little solace in that women like Stacy were trained after seeing Randy RKO Meatloaf.

Posted

The Austin stuff was even worse because it wasn't that removed from him being revealed from being a legit wifebeater. I'm sure he was giving Stacy a kicking around a year after he was rumbled for giving Debra the Lou Thesz press with fists and fire.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Benoit headbutting Stephanie Mcmahon in the build-up to one of his matches with Triple H is as close as I've gotten to being offended at watching a wrestling show. It wasn't even a over the top diving headbutt where his head lands gently in her tetons, it was a real looking headbutt to the face.

 

That's the clip Linda's political opponents should have been using.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme
Posted

I'm giving that a search. I don't think I've ever been offended at wrestling. I don't get offended easily anyway I suppose and I've been desensitised to a lot of things. I can't imagine thinking to boycott WWE because Austin gave Lita a stunner or Punk threw ashes over Taker. Certainly not feel uncomfortable.

 

Apart from The Giant vs. Hogan in that monster truck match. That was offensive.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Wrestling promotions dig their own grave really. Any aspirations of doing anything credible outside the business shouldn't be attempted because wrestling in general is pretty ridiculous if you really think about it. When Linda ran for senator, there was no way she was winning it. Not when you could dig up 30 years of WWF/WWE programing of some of the most ludicrous shit imaginable. I can only imagine some of the secrets Vince McMahon has if you really start digging.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

When Steve Austin gave Lita a total and complete drubbing with a chair just after his heel turn that made me more than a bit uncomfortable. And at that time I was just a 16 year old, full of piss and vinegar and bumlove for ECW. Watching it now is even worse.

 

Mind you though, because I'm a massive hypocrite I never had a problem watching Jerry Lawler giving a woman a slap then calling Jimmy Valiant a faggot and having a go at a black man.

Edited by PowerButchi
Posted (edited)

I'm a big puss so it offends me quite often, mainly the baby faces. I'm fine with Greg Valentine saying 'black bastard' or whatever but when it's guys we're told to cheer, like Sheamus taking the piss out of Mexicans, or Cena calling Vicky 'fat', it dos my head in. I'm more offended by the laziness of the writing to be honest. Especially with the Be A Star stuff they do which is totally at odds with it. I don't want wrestling to be high culture or anything, write the good guy to put down the baddie for what he does, not cos he looks gay. It's not hard.

 

The thing that offended me the most though was that fucking Melanie Pillman interview on the Pillman Tribute Raw. Even as a kid I felt wretched watching that. It's one of the (many) reasons I never really got into the Attitude era.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...