I think it was because belt 2 was totally knackered in terms of wear and tear.

Instantly hated the 3rd and now "4th" (if that is a new physical belt an not a paint) due to its obvious nod to the WWE IC oval title. My personal favorite was the first edition. 

That belts horrible. Instant reminder to DX whatever anyone says. 2nd looked great, didn't mind the third but the green has ruined it.

I want TNA to keep on going but I think the brands damaged goods now. When the tv company who was meant to keep you going has given up, it says something

• Paid Members

Why was it painted green?

That's really two questions really.

First why paint it such a garish colour and wind up with a horrid belt.

Secondly why worry about shitting up your belt when a channel, which your business model relies on, as wank as DA are talking about dropping you and your fucked for another option.

Why was it painted green?

Before all X Division matches, they've started showing an intro video (they've done a similar thing with Knockouts as well) and the colour scheme and video filter is the same green. They've painted the belt to match.

Seems kind of the wrong way round, and also about a month too late, because TNA.

Wasn't their some rumor at the time that the first X division title was a cleaned up old ECW tv belt? 

Are you thinking of the first FTW Belt? (the one Taz had for a bit in ECW). I seem to recall being an old TV belt, with the strap painted orange and it had some Taz/FTW stickers or something on it.