Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

I have a mate who is a bit gullible and wants to believe anything, even if you know it's bullshit. We were watching the WWE Roddy Piper DVD and got to the bit where he's talking about the Piper's Pit at 'Mania V. I can't recall it word for word, but his retelling of the face-off with Morton Downey Jr. involves him going to cave Downey's skull in with the fire extinguisher before he heard Gorilla Monsoon yell "RODDY!" from the Gorilla position, put the fire extinguisher down without murdering him and making his way to the back.

Ā 

My mate was hyped up to see this on the footage on the DVD, even though I knew he was talking absolute crap based on knowing what really happened. When we got to that bit and he didn't Roddy raise the fire extinguisher up to bash Downey, he swore it must've been edited until I told him Piper had been talking out of his arse. Gorilla was up on commentary in the higher decks anyway, plus the thing was fucking recorded, so there wasn't a single detail that was true. Worker's gonna work.

Well, I remember as well as you do that he always used to throw out the "I've got six kids" line, when all that's out there is that he's got four. Why exaggerate or work that you've got two more kids than you really have? It's not the old Stan Hansen line of "I don't wrestle for glory, I've got a fat wife and three kids to feed!".

We're back (at last)! SCG Radio returns this week as we break down November 1999 in our Monday Night War Timeline! Talking every Raw and Nitro, Survivor Series and Mayhem, complete with backstage news and notes from the Observer and Torch Newsletters of the time, we tackle every big story of the month, including Steve Austin's career-threatening neck injury, a shameless Survivor Series bait-and-switch, Test & Stephanie's wedding, the debut of Oklahoma and Seven on one side compared to Kurt Angle on the other, mind-numbing television on Nitro with amateur hour every hour, Bret Hart becomes WCW Champion, Big Show wins the WWF Title, HHH finally starting to feel like a main eventer and Kevin Nash exposed as being utterly awful in every way. Check it out and let us know what you think!

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/9s35hp/SCG_Radio_142_-_The_Monday_Night_War_in_November_1999.mp3

• Paid Members

We managed to pull off a beauty and had a cracking interview with MVP last night.
We were live on air on our radio show, interviewing a fantastic North East wrestling veteran calledĀ Ā Adam Christ. He's half way through talking about the wrestling school he's now involved with when the phone rings. My co-host sprints out of the room full pelt, so Adam looks at me, i say "its just MVP on the phone" he pauses, looks absoloutley bemused and says, "So I've wrestled Sabu and Tracy Smothers". (It had me in stitches at the time).

... Anyway, this was such a fun interview. Massive props to MVP, he was incredibly open, honest and candid. We discussed his upcoming one man show, his life in wrestling, his life in prison, comic books, Newcastle Brown Ale, the general stuff.
Ā 

Ā