Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

Then he kinda walked it back on his podcast and claimed he was the target of horseplay, specifically Alfred Hayes putting his horse cock in his hands. It was weird, but Piper was weird like that. I recall an interview, can't remember who with, where a wrestler did say something along the lines of "Well, Roddy was from the streets and had to do what he had to do...", which implied to me something sexual.

Nah it wasn't that shoot interview, it was an interview he done on I think a Canadian talk show or something like that, wasn't it Michael Landsberg show or maybe I am blurring memories together.

He got in trouble with the WWE management for stuff he said on there, I can't even remember what he said, it wasn't as controversial as his shoot interview he did though.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, D@mm said:

Nah it wasn't that shoot interview, it was an interview he done on I think a Canadian talk show or something like that, wasn't it Michael Landsberg show or maybe I am blurring memories together.

He got in trouble with the WWE management for stuff he said on there, I can't even remember what he said, it wasn't as controversial as his shoot interview he did though.

IIRC, this was an interview recorded shortly before he returned to the WWE for Wrestlemania 19, but broadcast after the fact, in which he essentially blamed WWE for the early deaths of a lot of wrestlers.

• Paid Members

Piper claiming he leg dived Kevin Nash and slung him out of the dressing room is my favourite bit of Piper bullshit.

Has there ever been anyone who’s backed up Piper’s hardcase rep? Being wrestlers, I get that a lot of the stories are almost certainly embellished. But has there ever been a story where Piper actually fought anyone and there were witnesses? It’s not a knock, I liked Piper in pretty much everything he was involved in bar his commentary gig in the WWF in 1990. But I don’t know what it was, I never ever bought into Piper as the badass he tried to come across as. With guys like Rude and Orndorff you can see it. They just have an aura of someone you wouldn’t fuck with. Even with Rude’s hip swivelling sort of Chippendale gimmick he still looked granite hard to me. Piper just always seemed like someone’s likeable but slightly crazy uncle who’d forgot to take his meds. Never got the tough guy aura off him and I certainly didn’t buy that he was going all Olympics ‘96 Kurt Angle on Kevin Nash in the locker room. 

And don’t give me that ‘he was a Golden Gloves champ’ pish. Everyone knows that’s “amateur punk stuff”. 

FDF96E15-021E-41DF-95AC-69A4DB8FCC68.gif

• Paid Members

In later years, Piper definitely seemed more likely to lean into an image himself as a scrappy nutcase rather than an actual hard man - someone who was as likely to take a beating as to floor anyone with a punch, but just mental enough that you wouldn't mess with him either way. There's probably some truth in that.

The flipside of your point is that I'm not really aware of anyone having said that Piper categorically wasn't a tough guy, and you'd think there'd be as many people wanting to put him down as to build him up, particularly as he was never really "one of the boys" and mostly kept himself to himself, with his own entourage.

The book his kids wrote, using his second attempted autobiography as a starting point, was really interesting - they pick apart the various stories of his background and career, picking holes in his own storytelling, but rather than outing him as a bullshit artist, basically it comes down to, "he doesn't know how to be anything other than Rowdy Roddy Piper, and he's been telling these stories for so long he believes them now". It's quite an interesting study of what kayfabing for 30+ years does to you.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Piper claiming he leg dived Kevin Nash and slung him out of the dressing room is my favourite bit of Piper bullshit.

Although that's clearly bullshit, he did stand up to Nash despite giving away five years and about a foot. Trying to take out Nash's recently injured knee is mental behaviour. The sort of scrap BP descibes above.

• Paid Members

Very good points Pat, I didn’t think of it quite like that. I’ll read that book sometime too, it sounds interesting. 

His family seem really nice and normal from what I remember seeing of them. His son fought MMA (not sure if he still does) and I saw an interview with his daughter, I think when Ronda Rousey jumped to the WWE and I thought she seemed really switched on and down to earth. For all his weirdness and mad stories, he’s one of the few from that nutty 80s era who managed to hold together what appears to be a very normal, stable and close family. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

There's a bit at the start of the "Rowdy" book, where they talk about how after he allowed Ronda Rousey to use the "Rowdy" nickname, he was actually considering dropping the Roddy Piper name altogether, and the attempt at a second autobiography was part of that - to go back to just being himself, not the gimmick, and to correct the more kayfabe aspects of his first book.

But he realised that he had no idea who Roderick Toombes was, he'd been Roddy Piper for that long, and because his family moved around so often, and he went from that to living in hostels, to being on the road in wrestling, he could barely find a single person from his pre-wrestling life who could anchor him in that pre-Piper reality, or give him any insight whatsoever.

Keeping up that weird dual identity for most of your life has to have an effect - I believe Hogan's probably similar in his own way, not even knowing himself when he's lying any more, and having to make arguments like "Hulk Hogan's dick is bigger than Terry Bollea's", and insisting on his "formal bandana" for court appearances, there's just nothing there behind the gimmick any more - and he probably felt there was some kind of pressure on him to always be Roddy Piper. He's of the generation where if a fan saw you in the airport, you would have to be the same guy they saw on TV.

I think Piper was probably genuinely damaged beyond that - his pre-wrestling life, and his early wrestling career - seems to have been full of abuse, both physical and sexual, and the transient lifestyle he lived for a long time must have put him through some shady shit. Throw in oodles of cocaine and 30 years of shots to the head, and his brain was probably an absolute disaster area.

Edited by BomberPat