WWE Survivor Series 2012

Cobra1000

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This must have been the most disappointing match ever at the time.

WWE_WWF_Survivor-Series-1991_Bret-Hart_Roddy-Piper_British-Bulldog_vs_Ric-Flair_Warlord_Ted-Dibiase_The-Mountie.jpg

Looks like a belter on paper, until someone had the idea that everyone needed to be protected and it turned into a giant DQ-fest.

Was great fun up until that point though, and it did set the tone for what Flair was all about.

Survivor Series was always good for novelty value back in the good old days, but it was generally the weakest WWF PPV of the 4/5. Pre Attitude era, very few of them hold up so well today. That said, 1995 and 1996 were both cracking shows, '96 in particular is immense, one of my fave shows ever.

'88 was a corker and and 87 and 90 were both fun. I really liked the Ultimate Survivors match of 90 (well the idea behind it anyway). '89 and 91 both had immense looking cards only to be let down on the night by overly protective booking / failed drug tests etc (although Macho's team vs Hacksaw's team on 89 was good fun).

• Paid Members
'89 and 91 both had immense looking cards only to be let down on the night by overly protective booking

1990 was the worst for that. Other than Hogan and Warrior who weren't eliminated at all, the following blokes were all thought necessary to protect :

Legion of Doom

Demolition

Jake the Snake

The Model

Undertaker

Earthquake

Tugboat

Hacksaw Duggan

Sqt Slaughter

Thank Christ for the Bushwhackers and Superflys of the world, else NO FUCKER would have pinned anybody.

• Paid Members

What's worse- that, or every fucker getting pinned every other week on TV, like the situation we have now?

Absolutely anyone could be pinned or tapped out in the traditional Survivor Series match this Sunday and no fucks will be given.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little over-protection where the booking is concerned nowadays.

Some people put down the new generation era, and even the late eighties sometimes (like the SS pic in the OP), but fuck me its a million times better than this shit, not going to watch, couldn't give a fuck tbh, havnt watched Raw since HIAC and not sure when I will tbh, all utterly pointless, the team matches and the triple threat hold no interest whatsoever.

Does anybody actually like triple threat matches? I know wwe book there stuff from a monkeys rectum but Cena vs Ryback really should have been held back and built into a big time match. One of the big intrigues of the survivor series match used to be seeing guys interact who you rarely see together. Don't look like that's happening anymore. I've a bad feeling they're gonna go with the predictable with Miz turning and costing his team. Dolph really needs to get the winning pin in this match. Why is a loser like him the captain anyway? Why the fuck should I give a shit?

It's all about 89 for me. The first WWF vhs i got. I remember being shit scared of Zeus. I'd never seen anyone fuck up Hogan like that before. He was IMPERVIOUS TO PAIN for pants sake.

The 1991 opener had a immense line up, it's a shame Flair was treated like an afterthought in that match though. The rest of that PPV sucked and was the beginnings of putting single matches on the card whicTUESDAYINTEXAS!!

Does anybody actually like triple threat matches?

If anything, I'd say that triple threats are one of the best stipulations the WWE have because they always do them really well. The No Way Out and Summerslam were really fun and when the Triple Threat thread came up a while ago, it really showed how many brilliant triple threats there are out there. I can't remember the last bad triple threat I saw, which probably says something.

• Paid Members
What's worse- that, or every fucker getting pinned every other week on TV, like the situation we have now?

Yes, in that respect, of course it's much worse these days. In 1990 things were different, nobody was winning or losing anything of any consequence in every match on TV. That's what made PPV so special, to see the superstars wrestling each other instead of Reno Riggins. To protect as many people as they did at that particular Survivor Series was daft.

Of course these days it by and large doesnt matter (other than main events and WWE title matches) what happens on the pay per view as you say. Because everyone has already pinned everyone already, as you say.

The 1991 opener had a immense line up, it's a shame Flair was treated like an afterthought in that match though.

Come again? He won! Piper was pissing blood to get at him.

Yes, in that respect, of course it's much worse these days. In 1990 things were different, nobody was winning or losing anything of any consequence in every match on TV. That's what made PPV so special, to see the superstars wrestling each other instead of Reno Riggins. To protect as many people as they did at that particular Survivor Series was daft.

Of course these days it by and large doesnt matter (other than main events and WWE title matches) what happens on the pay per view as you say. Because everyone has already pinned everyone already, as you say.

The 1991 opener had a immense line up, it's a shame Flair was treated like an afterthought in that match though.

Come again? He won! Piper was pissing blood to get at him.

It was his wwf PPV debut and he spent most of the match on the apron. The little time he was in there he got slapped about and had less offence than usual. I don't know. He felt like just another guy in there rather than RIC mofokin FLAIR. Maybe it's just cos I'm a big mark for him.

What does everyone reckon will be added as filler? Smart money's on Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara vs Prime Time Players (again). Mind, R-Truth vs Cesaro is complete filler as well. Neither of them should be anywhere near this show.

The rumour is Rey, Cara, Ryder & Santino vs. PTP, Primo & Epico will be added as an elimination match.

Why they'd have Ryder & Santino instead of Kidd & Gabriel, who knows.

• Paid Members
It was his wwf PPV debut and he spent most of the match on the apron. The little time he was in there he got slapped about and had less offence than usual. I don't know. He felt like just another guy in there rather than RIC mofokin FLAIR. Maybe it's just cos I'm a big mark for him.

He then cost Hulk Hogan the WWF championship later on in the night. Flair came out of it looking better than anyone on the roster.

What does everyone reckon will be added as filler? Smart money's on Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara vs Prime Time Players (again). Mind, R-Truth vs Cesaro is complete filler as well. Neither of them should be anywhere near this show.

I am a little surprised that Mysterio and Sin Cara are not on the PPV. They could have used them in another 5-on-5 match with any combination of the rest of the tag division (Ryder/Santino, PTP, Epico/Primo, 3MB, Gabriel/Kidd). Something like Truth/Mysterio/Cara/Ryder/Santino vs. Cesaro/PTP/Epico/Primo would have been a better match than Truth vs. Cesaro for me.

Looking at the main card itself:

Team Ziggler vs. Team Foley. It is nice to see at least one Traditional Survivor Series match, but there is very little of interest going into this match. I actually like a lot of the wrestlers involved, but there is a sense that nothing really matters about it. No one outside of Ziggler will actually get much out of being the survivor at the end of the match.

Big Show vs. Sheamus. We saw this last month and it was a good match, but without a stipulation added to it, again there is nothing really of interest here.

CM Punk vs. Ryback vs. John Cena. Ryback didn't win the title last month, I also do not see him winning it this month either. It looks like they are keeping the title on Punk until the Rumble (vs. Rock), so Punk to pin Cena after Ryback has hit him with Shellshock. I guess WWE might put the title on Ryback given he is apparently drawing good ratings, but I think they missed their chance last month if they were going to have Ryback as champion.

Eve Torres vs. Kaitlyn. Not much to say here. The womens division is dying a slow death and is in need of some new wrestlers being introduced (from NXT?).

Antonio Cesaro vs. R-Truth. I don't mind Cesaro and he is something different from most of the rest of the roster, but no one cares about him or his matches. Truth has not done anything good in a long while. Another match I don't have much interest in.

The whole card is lackluster, but given the lack of true stars on the roster, good feuds or good writing, I cannot say I am too surprised!

The rumour is Rey, Cara, Ryder & Santino vs. PTP, Primo & Epico will be added as an elimination match.

Why they'd have Ryder & Santino instead of Kidd & Gabriel, who knows.

Possibly to try and differentiate it from the eight-man they had the other day. If they change two of the eight, I suppose it at least looks like they're trying.

Archived