UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

@SuperBacon I'm in Birmingham. I'd love to see them live though so I'll keep a look out. 

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the Wu Tang album. The 2 songs they've released off it so far have sounded closer to the Wu Tang I was into than some of the later stuff they were shitting out. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

@SuperBacon I'm in Birmingham. I'd love to see them live though so I'll keep a look out. 

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the Wu Tang album. The 2 songs they've released off it so far have sounded closer to the Wu Tang I was into than some of the later stuff they were shitting out. 

It's always going to be about 36 chambers really. That on whilst playing Tony Hawks 1 and having a smoke with your mates while at college. Those were the days.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Goldie Lookin Chain have a new album on the way and a video dropped on their Youtube yesterday reaching out to try and get back in touch with former member Maggot.

• Paid Members

I don't normally venture into this thread but I was listening to the new Vic Mensa record earlier and it hit all the right notes I want from a rap album so I thought I'd see if anyone had mentioned it. Seeing as no one has, I figured I might as well recommend it..It's very emotional and, unsurprisingly given it's called Autobiography, very personal.

The first song, Say I Didn't is pretty indicative of where the album's going but it was Wings with Pharrell Williams where I decided I really loved it.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

Does anybody want to take up the challenge of making a list of essential releases this year? I'm preferably after the grittier, more underground side of things 

Fuck me, right, I've been dying a death this year in regards to what's been going on. Serious head in the sand and hearing something 6 months later.

I know there's a lot I have planned to check out but haven't yet due to babies, I also know I'll be very angry with myself if I don't do so.

I'm publically asking now if we can stick a 'return to' on this question until December? It gives at least 2 months worth of releases a chance to jump in to the to the top ten. It also gives my shit ears the chance to check out what I've missed so far.

Are you and others up for that? Why not say everyone submits a top 5?

No worries if not.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that Hip-Hop =\= Grime but this seems like the best thread to ask in, has anyone here read Hold Tight: Black Masculinity, Millennials and the Meaning of Grime?

It doesn't have too many reviews but the few it has seem solid enough, wondering if I should pick it up. Wiley has a biography out too, I'll grab that at some point.

• Paid Members

Been listening to some Chris Rivers (Big Pun's son) lately. Heard some stuff a while back and liked it but he featured on the new Wu Tang album and that got me back listening to his stuff. I find he can be a bit hit and miss but when he's on he's on. Sounds a lot like his dad but I think he's really good in his own right. 

Here's a freestyle on Sway a while back;

Seems a really sound and switched on guy in interviews as well. 

• 1 month later...