UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

Bumping an old thread as there is a TON of excellent hip hop around which doesn't have the name Run The Jewels. Gems I've discovered recently.

Micall Parknsun-Practising Tag Team Moves EP. Longtime stalwart of the U.K. scene drops a banging release, especially Tag Team feat. Jehst, which has a few wrestling references.

Dabbla-Year of The Monkey. Basically High Focus Records is killing it at the moment and this for me is the stand out release of last year. Pure lyricism.

Royce Da 5'9-Layers. Great album, especially opener Tabernacle

Elzhi-Lead Poison. Album of the year for me. Ex Slum Village member Elzhi bares his fucking soul on a record. Suffering from depression he manifested it into this searingly open album and it's beautiful. For fans of SV, Oddisee, Roots, jazzy hip hop, etc, stand out track is The Healing Process, which id phenomenally good.

There's tonnes more I've missed, but that's what stands out for me.

• Moderators

I listened to Layers. Royce is a terrible lyricist. I genuinely lol'd several times at some of the terrible lines.

I will check out your other recommendations though, starting with elzhi. Stuff I have enjoyed recently ( not including rtj):

L'orange & Mr lif - life and death of scenery

Planet Asia & dj concept - 79

Injury reserve - floss

Link us up to the writing you've been doing recently that you mentioned!

I listened to Layers. Royce is a terrible lyricist. I genuinely lol'd several times at some of the terrible lines.

I will check out your other recommendations though, starting with elzhi. Stuff I have enjoyed recently ( not including rtj):

L'orange & Mr lif - life and death of scenery

Planet Asia & dj concept - 79

Injury reserve - floss

Link us up to the writing you've been doing recently that you mentioned!

Agreed on Royce Chest, but I was actually really impressed with the album to be honest.

Yeah that Planet Asia album is excellent and haven't checked the Lif one yet but always enjoyed his shit back in the day.

I'll let you know about the writing when it's live

• Paid Members

I guess you're the best man to ask Chest, do you have any idea when Sean Price's posthumous album Imperius Rex is coming out? Last I read was over the summer when the 'Rap Professor' song was released, and it was just pencilled in for 'early 2017'. Can't find much new info on it since.

Also, look what I just found...Premo cutting up Full Clip live....unbelievable

https://donutsbrighton.com/2015/11/05/sample-flips-101-gang-starr-full-clip/

Absolute class.

Don't listen to as much hip-hop anymore unfortunately, mainly due to going to a horrifically poor Mos Def show in Dalston in 2015, but I'll try put in some effort to putting that right this year.

Yeah, Mos is one of the biggest disappointments ever tbh. From the early Rawkus/Black Star stuff, there was so much promise. Black on Both Sides is a great album. I bought it the day it came out, taped it, then took it to Majorca to listen to on my Walkman for a week. Was the only tape I had.

Then he fell the fuck off.

I know what you mean. It's taken me a massive effort to get back into, because I naturally revert to what I know (case in point: I'm listening to a 2001 UK hip hop mixtape but there is loads of great stuff out there. You just need to surf through the absolute shite that is at the forefront. I'll try and keep posting in here if it helps.

You like any UK stuff? Check out anything on High Focus as I mentioned before. It's pretty much all good.

• Moderators

Mos def is shit live, but The Ecstatic is a fantastic album.

Edit: umm.. There's nothing impressive about that full clip preemo vid. He had all the cue points set up on the laptop and he's not actually doing anything on the decks. It's basically the same as if he was just playing it on the mpc after having chopped it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Mos def is shit live, but The Ecstatic is a fantastic album.

Edit: umm.. There's nothing impressive about that full clip preemo vid. He had all the cue points set up on the laptop and he's not actually doing anything on the decks. It's basically the same as if he was just playing it on the mpc after having chopped it.

Oh fuck off Chest...go and have a wank over your Invisible Skratch Piklz tapes then... ;)

Is it not impressive that he made the Full Clip beat? and I like simple shit that so there. When you've made a track as good as Above The Clouds, only then can you comment.

• Moderators

Of course he's an amazing producer, that's undeniable. But you said 'unbelievable', and it's hardly live reconstruction like Shadow or Cut Chemist. I was looking forward to being wowed and I was not.

It's really simple. In fact, fuck it - I'll do exactly what he did tonight and record it, and it will take me about ten minutes preparation.

Edited by Chest Rockwell