UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Coincidentally I recently put on a mixtape I made a few years back which was some of the wax I have from that era.. you might enjoy it.

https://m.mixcloud.com/JalapenoPopper/some-classics-from-uni-days-rdg-bangers/

I haven't got much decent new stuff recently though.  :\

That looks right up my street Chest! You got a track listing 

• Moderators

Tracklist is actually on there.. but here you go:

1 Worst Comes To Worst by Dilated Peoples

2 Don'tFear by Akrobatik

3 What U Got by PRINCE PAUL

4 Join the dots by Roots Manuva

5 Cockmobster by Paul Barman

6 Mic Manipulator by Edan

7 Shimmy Shimmy Ya by O.D.B

8 Sound of tha Police by KRS One

9 Simon Says by Pharoahe Monch

10 NYC Everything by Bobby Digital

11 Live From The Plantation by Mr Lif

12 Soul Purpose by 7L & Esoteric

13 The Light by Common

14 Can't Stop the Prophet by Jeru the damaja

15 Paid In Full by Eric B. & Rakim

16 Daytona 500 by Ghostface Killah

17 Straight out of Compton by Nwa

18 Eye on the gold chain by UGLY DUCKLING

19 Feel So Good by Brand Nubian

20 Money for Sex by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

21 Let Me Clear My Throat by DJ Kool

22 93 Til Infinity by Souls of Mischief

23 The Truth by Handsome Boy Modeling School

24 Deep in the Jungle by Solesides

25 In your Area by Peanut Butter Wolf

26 Ex To The Next by Gang Starr

27 Behold my Life / Passing me by by Defari / Pharcyde

28 Acid Raindrops by People Under the Stairs

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

It's only taken about 20 years but Rock from Heltah Skeltah's finally got his first solo album coming out on the 22nd of this month. A few of the tracks have already been released.

'GW BaG';

And this is fucking quality. 'Camp-Wu' featuring Method Man and Inspectah Deck from Wu Tang Clan and Tek and Steele from Smif n Wessun/Boot Camp Clik;

Wu Tang have got a new album coming out in October as well. 

• Paid Members

A mate put me onto Romesh Rangathan’s podcast ‘HipHop Saved My Life’ & it’s tremendous. It’s really reignited my love of rap in the past couple of weeks & put me onto some new(ish) artists I’d completely missed. Main one being a guy called ‘Ocean Wisdom’, his album is fantastic & he’s got skills.

Grabbed tickets to see Loyle Carner next month too, not even listened to him that much but at worst it’s an afternoon out with the lads.

• Paid Members

I've been really shit with listening to new stuff this year. Just got around to downloading 'Rejoice' that Gift of Gab knocked out in April. Going to have a good listen this weekend.

Also, I can't believe it's taken me a year to properly check out the Avalanches Wildflower album. I know, not strictly hip hop, but they fit my definition.

Just spotted that Westside Gunn and MF Doom are joining forces for a new project called WESTSIDEDOOM. Right up my street, looking forward to this.

link to some details.. 

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/westside-gunn-and-mf-doom-announce-collaborative-album-westsidedoom-news.37082.html

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Moderators

Will definitely check out the gift of gab and Rock albums. That copywrite track is nice. He has an album with planet Asia called unfinished and untitled that I just discovered recently that's good.

Speaking of planet Asia, he has a new album with Apollo Brown called Anchovies that's really good.

Seems there's loads of decent stuff out recently. There's a new perceptionists album (mr lif & akrobatik). It's.... alright on first listen. Some nice tracks. Not as good as the most recent album lif did with l'orange, but nice to hear Ak back after his health problems.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

8 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

A mate put me onto Romesh Rangathan’s podcast ‘HipHop Saved My Life’ & it’s tremendous. It’s really reignited my love of rap in the past couple of weeks & put me onto some new(ish) artists I’d completely missed. Main one being a guy called ‘Ocean Wisdom’, his album is fantastic & he’s got skills.

Grabbed tickets to see Loyle Carner next month too, not even listened to him that much but at worst it’s an afternoon out with the lads.

Loyle Carner's record looks like its going to be my record of the year. It's absolutely blinding!

Listened to Wiki's debut the other day. Really enjoyed his mixtape, Lil Me, the other year and this doesn't let him down. I'd obviously have liked another Ratking record but this is a great second best.

• 4 weeks later...

Verb T and Pitch 92 might have just dropped the UK hip hop album of the year 'Good Evening' on the ever stellar High Focus Records. Absolute dynamite stuff. Strong story telling rapping over dusty jazzy boom bap drums.

As mentioned in this thread, Ocean Wisdom absolutely murders his verse on the track Lie Low. The flow is just absurd.

free launch party next Friday at Brixton Jamm that I'm gonna try and get to if anyone fancies it. 

High Focus are crushing it this year.

more good news as Chester P of Task Force announces a new solo album and also an Illinformed produced Task Force project. UK Hip Hop is in bloody good shape at the moment. Loads to enjoy. Sort of a mini golden age again 

• Paid Members

Anyone caught the new Wu Tang track yet?

Im going to have to give it more time rather than reminiscence blocking my lugs. I should like it because Wu were mint when I was 15 mentality going on at the moment. 

I say new but it was released last month I believe, I've just caught it now:

Edited by Kaz Hayashi