UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

It doesn't have to be, but you've got rap that can have excellent production and talk about something interesting rather than spouting about how you're the best. It's easier to let slide if, first and foremost, his music backs it up. When it does, I can let some of his groan-worthy lyrics slide. When it doesn't, like this time for me, I hone in on the fact that he's an obnoxious knob even more. Him being a knob is part of the fascination people will have, but if it's not backed up then it doesn't really do anything. Obviously hip hop and rap was built on braggadocio. But most artists are playful with it whereas it becomes tiring listening to him going over and over about how he's the shit.

New Slaves was brilliant. More of that please.

Obviously hip hop and rap was built on braggadocio

But hip hop's roots lay equally as deeply in highlighting and condemning issues facing some of society's most vulnerable. It doesn't mean every track or album since has to follow suit.

Fuck Kanye talking about world issues now. Who'd take him seriously? It'd do more harm than good, with his current public image. Rockwell's right - apart from 808, Kanye's back catalogue is up there with the very best rappers. As a collection of albums, I can't think of many hip hop artists who've done better.

Bumping this thread to say I've found myself listening to The Life of Pablo shitloads now. It's really clicked for me.. Kanye's body of work is really impressive when you take a step back and look at it (and pretend 808s and Heartbreaks doesn't exist).

Also, MOP are coming back to London at the end of May and I can't wait. Their show at the Jazz Cafe is one of my favourite hip hop shows I've been to.

Fuck Kanye, MOP in London though!!!! I'm there. I was there at the last London gig, and it was absolute fiiiiiyaaaaaah!!!!

Fair point, he's not going to be a storyteller or someone who can tackle issues much. I guess what I'm saying is he has to be at his very best or else I roll my eyes and zone in on him being a bellend.

And no, not every album or track has to be some political statement or storytelling, I just find that his production is world class but his lyrics in the current climate can seem tiresome and passé. If the music's good enough, it covers for that. And the auto-tune vocoder stuff is generally naff too.

• Moderators

I find that criticism a bit weird. I really don't think he just spends all his time talking about how great he is, at all. Yeah, he's a massive narcissist, but he talks about all the stuff that he thinks are the real problems of the world, as seen from inside the ridiculous bubble he lives in.

And he does have a certain amount of self awareness with that, even.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

New Marco Polo and AFRO track -

https://soundcloud.com/allflowsreachout/long-time-coming-feat-shylow-prod-by-marco-polo

This track is really nice. I have listened to it a few times in a row. I have never heard AFRO before, but have seen his face about. He seems to be doing his best Gift of Gab impression but it's really good, so I don't care.

I had no idea that Oddisee had dropped a new album until I was browsing Apple Music this morning!

oddisee_cvr_sq-ba45521f594910fdfed5e482a

All instrumental, all brilliant. Seriously, this guy is so underated it's unreal. I love his albums where he raps, but the instrumental stuff is awesome as well.

Here's his new video:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Really like that.

I've also got into Oddisee lately, purely from this thread. Stumbled across this JR & PH7 track featuring Oddisee earlier, which I love;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pJVQHK82Rzg

And from the same album, this one featuring Sean Price as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pJVQHK82Rzg

Sorry I don't know where you live, but you know he's playing a few dates next week?

Yeah man. I'm in Glasgow so not near me, sadly. Thanks though!

Still one of my fav Oddisee tracks:

This is a pretty great interview with him too. How he goes about making music is pretty cool!

Edited by Art Vandelay