Chest Rockwell

UKFF Hip Hop Thread

When's the NWA film out? Will it cover World Class Wrecking Cru? And will it include the lyrics:-

Peter, Peter, the pussy eater? Nuh it's E, the motherfucking pussy beater.

It's out in the next couple of weeks I think. Early reviews have been pretty positive which is a nice surprise.

DJ Format & Abdominal have announced a '10 Year reunion tour' for this November, tickets go on sale tomorrow. I'll be at Manchester.

Thurs 5th  - Deaf Institute, Manchester

Weds 18th - Sticky Mikes Frog Bar, Brighton

Thurs 19th - Orange Rooms, Southamptons

Sun 22nd   Jazz Cafe, Camden, London

For all of you that like your UK hip hop, good witty rapping and nice drums, check out Dr Syntax and Pete Cannon's Elaborate Anoraks. It's bloody brilliant.

got a new album of the year

the new Nickelus F album 'Trick Dice', prod. by Shawn Kemp (aka Lil Ugly Mane). incredible beats and a really talented MC that I wasn't aware of before

all on youtube, here's a preview

Been rocking a fuck load of Cas/CasisDead recently, he falls more on the grime side and spits a lot of drug talk but can easily be appreciated by hip hop heads.

Faze Miyake beats always go hard.

Art, nice to see some love for Oddisee, so slept on. Reminds me of Conmon, before the Electric Circus.

If you like him check out Mr J Medeiros.

For anyone in to their hip hop, legendary UK producer Mark B has died. Responsible for one of the biggest selling UK hip hop albums of all time with Blade, very sad news indeed.

I've been doing my usual end of year sweep around to see what albums I may have missed. Have I missed anything of note Hip Hop wise? I know the stock answer this year will be Kendrick Lamar but not sure that's my cup of tea from what I've heard. I have the following on my Amazon wishlist to check out:

Ghostface Killah - Twelve Reasons to Die 2

Ghostface/BadBadNotGood - Sour Soul

Jedi Mind Tricks - The Thief and the Fallen

Canibus & Bronze Nazareth - Time Flys...

I know there's also been albums by Czarface, Action Bronson and Joey BadA$$

My favourite hip hop album this year was Curren$y - Pilot Talk 3.

Also

Sean Price - songs in the key of price

Statik Selektah - lucky 7

Vince staples - summertime 6

Yeah.. sad times, man. One of my favourites. Shortly after he died I went on Amazon and downloaded loads of tracks that he had done guest spots on that were mostly not on any albums or mixtapes that I hadn't heard before. I made a mixtape of them that you can listen to streaming or download from here - https://hearthis.at/jalapenopopper/sean-price-changed-my-life/ 

Some cool stuff; worth checking out if you're a fan, if I do say so myself.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm really enjoying Oddisee at the moment. Very underated. I only discovered him due to one of his tracks being in the new NBA 2K game.

Huge fan of Oddisee, my favourite track is this one:

A lot of the stuff on the Mello Music label is pretty good. Part of an alternative Hip-Hop movement which feels pretty under-represented at the moment, back in the early 2000s it seemed pretty strong. These days it feels like Hip-Hop is pretty dominated by the mainstream artists, or maybe I just don't know where to find new stuff anymore!

Huge fan of the Mellow Orange (not related to Mello Music) work, especially their amazing Vinyl Podcasts, for example:

And if you can't dig Dirty Jazz I want nothing to do with you - not strictly hip-hop, but part of it's DNA of course:

https://www.mixcloud.com/melloworange/qstn-and-kidragon-dirty-jazz/

Yeah.. sad times, man. One of my favourites. Shortly after he died I went on Amazon and downloaded loads of tracks that he had done guest spots on that were mostly not on any albums or mixtapes that I hadn't heard before. I made a mixtape of them that you can listen to streaming or download from here - https://hearthis.at/jalapenopopper/sean-price-changed-my-life/ 

Some cool stuff; worth checking out if you're a fan, if I do say so myself.

Thanks a lot for that link! Half an hour well spent. I'd never heard most of that stuff before.

Yeah, some of the songs are terrible apart from the Sean P verse so I wouldn't bother tracking them down, in case you were thinking of it. Makes me wonder why they would pay him money to come show them up on their own song.