UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

The second track snippet it goes in to (no more parties in L.A.) is a Madlib beat. Jizz!

Both are good. Whilst I'm here, there's a new busta rhymes track produced by roc marciano that's really good, too.

I love how if I had thought that the worlds biggest hip hop star would use a "backpacker" beat back in 2001, I would've thought get the fuck out of here quicker than you can say Rawkus Records!!!

• 1 month later...

So. Giving Life of Pablo a first listen through now.

It's a bit shit, really. He's gone back to too much singing through the vocoder again. There's some nice tracks, but it's patchy as hell. We'll see if it's a grower...

According to See Tickets, who offered the album with tickets to his fashion show thing it was premiered at, it's not the final version. It reckons the final version will probably be out in the next week or so.

• Paid Members

Yeah I read something that it's due for a wider release this weekend. Kanye's said this album will never be on iTunes as well for some reason, which has caused a fair bit of moaning on twitter and stuff. I've given it a listen, not mad on it either, to be honest. One or two songs I thought were good, but not crazy about most of it.

So. Giving Life of Pablo a first listen through now.

It's a bit shit, really. He's gone back to too much singing through the vocoder again. There's some nice tracks, but it's patchy as hell. We'll see if it's a grower...

I usually prefer Kanye through a vocoder. 'Real' hip hop heads who prefer his first three boring albums confound me. Dylan's gone electric. Get into it lads.

I couldn't sleep last Thursday night and knew the album was supposed to be out the following day, so got up at 6am and downloaded a rip of the songs he premiered at Madison Square Garden the night before. There were only ten of them and I thought they pretty much all sounded amazing. Like a happy, chilled mirror image of Yeezus. I think the low quality rip actually helped on a couple of tracks.

I happily listened to that rip about 3 times in the following 24 hours, then saw he'd tweeted a new tracklist with 18 songs on it. I don't hate any of the new tracks (except maybe Facts, and the track with Kendrick on it is somehow a disappointment) but the album sounds bloated to me now. Seems to lose it's way somewhere around two thirds of the way through.

That said, Ultralight Beam is remarkable. A proper once-in-a-decade pop song that's going to stay in my shuffle forever. Famous and Fade are great too. The extra baggage just saps my motivation to listen to the whole thing in a row. And this from someone who listened to Yeezus front to back about once a day in the six months before Glastonbury this year.

The second track snippet it goes in to (no more parties in L.A.) is a Madlib beat. Jizz!

Both are good. Whilst I'm here, there's a new busta rhymes track produced by roc marciano that's really good, too.

I love how if I had thought that the worlds biggest hip hop star would use a "backpacker" beat back in 2001, I would've thought get the fuck out of here quicker than you can say Rawkus Records!!!

He's been down with Madlib for a while now. 'Lib was involved in the early sessions for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which came out in 2010, though he never received any production credits.

• Moderators

If it helps I've never listened to his first three albums at all*. I hated 808s and heartbreaks, and love Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus. Bob Dylan is shit whether acoustic or electric.

I gave the album a second listen this morning and enjoyed it more. Still patchy as hell though.

* Out of conscious choice, anyway. I have been in the room/car when they've been on, so I have heard them a bit and obviously I know the singles.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

If it helps I've never listened to his first three albums at all*. I hated 808s and heartbreaks, and love Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus. Bob Dylan is shit whether acoustic or electric.

I gave the album a second listen this morning and enjoyed it more. Still patchy as hell though.

* Out of conscious choice, anyway. I have been in the room/car when they've been on, so I have heard them a bit and obviously I know the singles.

Fair enough mate. I agree the album's patchy. The first 7 songs + Real Friends + Fade would be a lovely little album.

How can you love Dark Fantasy but hate on the vocoder though? Runaway's probably his best song and he practically swallows the vocoder on that.

• Moderators

To be fair I said 'too much vocoder', as in 808s album levels - all singing, too little rapping.

I do like it when used well; guilt trip is actually one of my favourites off yeezus.

Whilst I'm in this thread, I've been listening to Pusha T 'darkest before dawn' loads. It's really good. The best thing he's done in a long time, and has me actually quite excited for the album. The Kanye track off that release is very good, as it happens, to bring things back full circle!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Bumping this thread to say I've found myself listening to The Life of Pablo shitloads now. It's really clicked for me.. Kanye's body of work is really impressive when you take a step back and look at it (and pretend 808s and Heartbreaks doesn't exist).

Also, MOP are coming back to London at the end of May and I can't wait. Their show at the Jazz Cafe is one of my favourite hip hop shows I've been to.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I doubt it. His lyrics saying how great he is are boring. There's artists talking about actual issues and there's him just banging on about how him and Taylor Swift might have sex one day. It feels antiquated to me. I could forgive that when the production was amazing. It has moments, but ultimately it's bloated.