UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Marco Polo - Newport Authority 2

Free mixtape download. I've not actually listened to it yet, but he is a damn good producer and there are some great rappers on this - Big Daddy Kane, Lil Fame, Rakim, Large Pro... Can't see it being bad!

If you've never heard Marco Polo before, his debut "Port Authority" album was fantastic. Here's a couple cuts -

• Moderators

"New" Lord Quas -

Some recordings from a few years ago, apparently, that were leaked but are finally getting a proper release. I'd never heard the song before though, and it's good.

edit - saw that news earlier too. Morbidly curious about what the cause of death was, as he was so young.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm reading drug overdose/Suicide, but I think it's far too early to say. Whatever the case it's a shame.

I actually liked Young, Rich & Dangerous. Been some years since I listened to that, might have to put that on today along with Totally Krossed Out, for old times sake.

I have checked out them links you posted. I will get round to listening to them at some point. That TiDUS stuff was interesting as well neil.

Edited by The Total Package

• Moderators

I saw those TiDUS posts yesterday when I posted the Marco Polo stuff and I had a listen. I wasn't totally sold, but I liked the second beat.

The first track, however, popped up in my head this morning completely by surprise and now I can't wait to listen to it again when I get home...

• Moderators

You mean "Delancey" Chest? That's a real catchy one. Someone the other day said to me this was "hipster hop", that made me laugh.

Here's a link to his DOORS EP which I well rate, https://soundcloud.com/3qtr/sets/tidus-doors-set/

There is another EP he did called Mirrors which I have, but have forgotten where I got it from. I'll have a search for it if others are interested in hearing it.

• Moderators

I remember a little while back we were discussing concept albums in hip hop. Has anyone listened to the new Ghostface album?

Here it is in full -

I've only given it a couple listens so far, but I'm rather enjoying it. The music has a very "soundtracky" feel, and the tracks all tell a part of the story (as opposed to a lot of other so-called concept albums in hip hop that rely on the skits to tell the story and then the tracks have nothing to do with the idea).

Sure, they kind of hit you over the head with the story a bit and it's all rpetty obvious, but it's nicely done.

I'm a huge fan of Ghostface, but his output is certainly patchy. One of my absolute favourites when he's on form though and he is here.

It's a short album at just under 40 minutes and there's no filler. Well worth your time to give it a listen.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

New Prodigy & Alchemist album - Albert Einstein is out.

Here it is in full on youtube

Oh, there's also -

a new Action Bronson album out, Saaab Stories all produced by Harry Fraud. Hit you with the dropkick, Marty Jannetty

New-ish Lord Quas (rare / unreleased), Yessir Whatever - Gangstarr cover, kind of.

New Statik Selektah album, Extended Play - http://youtu.be/DWuBTLJdoJY

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 3 weeks later...

New Jay-Z album is around, although some people might want to class it as 'pop' rather than 'hip hop' these days. I think its pretty good FWIW, his best since American Gangster. Timbaland does a great job on the production side.

"When I was talking Instagram/ Last thing you wanted was your picture snapped/ Feds still lurking/ They see I'm still putting work in/ Cause somewhereinamerica/ Miley Cyrus is still twerkin'. Twerk, twerk, twerk, twerk/ Twerk, Miley, Miley, twerk/ Twerk, Twerk, Miley, Miley, Miley, twerk/ Twerk, yeah, ugh-huh/ Twerk, Miley, Miley, Miley/ Only in America." :D

Going to see A Tribe Called Quest at Wireless next Sunday. I'm really looking forward to them. Just started on Midnight Marauders after giving Low End Theory a go. Loved Low End Theory and love the jazz rap style. Midnight Marauders is pretty good though not as good as Low End Theory for me. I love Electric Relaxation; J Cole has sampled the original sample recently with Kendrick Lamar.

The song Clap Your Hands starts with the lines:

Bruthas know the flavs when the Quest gets loose/slammin' sucka fuckas like the wrestler Zeus/crazier than Tupac in that flick called Juice/cock is longer than the hat worn by Dr. Seuss.