UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

So, 2012 was pretty great for mainstream hip-hop and 2013 looks like its going to be pretty ace too.

I've never been that fussed by the mainstream scene but with Kendrick, A$AP, Frank, Tyler, MH and Action Bronson all either have broken through, or on the verge of doing so, it's a good time to be a fan.

Does anyone hear fuss themselves with making their on music/beats?

I'm a musician in a very traditional sense, ie guitars and keys, but would love to give it a go and maybe even fuse it with traditional instrumentation. Does anyone know the best way of getting started?

• Moderators

What did you think of that Kendrick Lamar album then? I know everyone's raving about it - I've had it for a few months now and I'm struggling to get into it.

There are some nice tracks but.. I dunno. Not clicking!

On the flipside I've only just discovered last year's Ohnomite album by Oh No. I knew it had come out but I kinda ignored it because I had been disappointed by the Gangrene stuff.

It's fucking great!

I make beats daz, pretty much just for my own entertainment although I have done a couple tracks here and there with other people over the years. (www.soundcloud.com/thanuts if you want to check it out)

Mostly sample based, but also using live instrumentation.

I have always just used Cool Edit and Fruity Loops - they do the job well for me. As far as hardware goes - I have my bass guitar, a midi keyboard, Akai midi controller that is like a drum machine style pad set up, my decks and then some various percussion instruments.

Mine is a rinky dink home bullshit setup.. if you're looking for Pro Tips you should ask Loki. He is the only one to my knowledge that does electronic/beat music stuff even though I know we have a lot of other "proper musicians" on the forum.

Edit: Since you'll be using your guitar and keys a lot I guess decent drum sounds and some good softsynths/plugins for basslines would be stuff for you to explore, huh? Happy to point you in the direction of some decent shit you may like to grab for free..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators
One of my favourites. Murs & Slug - Dirty Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWvcnjXNUE

Love that Felt 2 album.. Always has a place on my music player. And I would pretty much never listen to either of the other two Felt albums, and don't often listen to Atmosphere or Murs albums... but this album is just great.

Still waiting for your Best of 2012 list, Chest ;)

Ummm.. don't hold your breath on that one.

So, jsut when I thought Pusha T had quit making decent music the Wrath of Caine mixtape is actually alright. Some nice beats and some decent lyrical content, although for the most part he is just still talking about the same old shit.

Anyway, it's a free download and it's worth checking out.

Pusha T - Only you can tell it

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I downloaded (it's legally free! Get on it) the Czarface mixtape last night & spun it in the car on the way to work. It really is fantastic, if you like Wu-Tang and/or any Army Of The Pharoahs stuff I'd heavily recommend it.

• Moderators

Not new at all, but on that tip I just found out today that after Celph Titled's Nineteen Ninety Now album in 2010 there was a release called Nineteen Ninety More the next year with some tracks that didn't make the album. It's pretty great (as was the original album).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Anyone heard of TiDUS? I'm obsessed with his song "Delancey",

He's got this mixture of really good simple beats, lyrics that are more drugged out and trippy than anything I've heard before. I can't find that much info on the guy online. But man am I obsessed with that song above.