UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...

So Mos Def and now Talib Kweli have confirmed that Madlib (!!!!) is producing a new Black Star album which has absolutely made my Monday to be honest.

As for new releases, the latest High Focus signing Coops has dropped a new single called That Jazz which is nice. Despite still not getting him at all, Kendrick Lamar's curated Black Panther album has some good moments on it, including the title track and the Vince Staples tune.

New Ocean Wisdom album drops next Friday, and the guest appearances are bonkers. Method Man, Rodney P, Roots Manuva, Dizzee Rascal, P Money, Jehst and Chester P. Get in...

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So Mos Def and now Talib Kweli have confirmed that Madlib (!!!!) is producing a new Black Star album which has absolutely made my Monday to be honest.

As for new releases, the latest High Focus signing Coops has dropped a new single called That Jazz which is nice. Despite still not getting him at all, Kendrick Lamar's curated Black Panther album has some good moments on it, including the title track and the Vince Staples tune.

New Ocean Wisdom album drops next Friday, and the guest appearances are bonkers. Method Man, Rodney P, Roots Manuva, Dizzee Rascal, P Money, Jehst and Chester P. Get in...

A lot has been made of the guests he's got on this record (which are obviously impressive) but the 3 tracks that have been released so far are all absolutely massive in their own right. Massively hyped for this album, I'm hoping for a proper tour in support of it. Not some 30 minute set at 3.30am in a shitty nightclub which seems to be the standard for UK hiphop.

The new Jpegmafia album has been on repeat over here, I can't wait till we get a UK release of the vinyl. It's abrasive and brash filled with some of the best political lines I've heard in ages, it's very much for the left wing side of the 4chan generation and he's constantly getting the alt-rights knickers in a twist especially because he has a sound they want to love.

I Cannot Fucking Wait Until Morrissey Dies may be the greatest ever song title too.

Lazily filed under: If you like Death Grips..

Edited by Merzbow

10 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

A lot has been made of the guests he's got on this record (which are obviously impressive) but the 3 tracks that have been released so far are all absolutely massive in their own right. Massively hyped for this album, I'm hoping for a proper tour in support of it. Not some 30 minute set at 3.30am in a shitty nightclub which seems to be the standard for UK hiphop.

Definitely, and he's done well to mix UK stalwarts with legit big stars on this. Chaos 93 is one of my favourite UK albums ever so expecting big things from this. The new tracks are all very old  school too  which is great. He's not on any of the upcoming High Focus Birthday Bash things, so hopefully a proper tour is coming...

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Craig Mack has died. 47 years old. Can't say I listened to a lot of his stuff but I did love Flava In Ya Ear, the original and the remix with Biggie, Busta Rhymes etc. 

We say it all the time but 47 really is no age to go.

• Moderators

I need some new music! I just copped the new Roc Marci album but apart from that I haven't got anything new.
Doesn't need to be newly released, just new to me.
Recommendations please! I think regular posters in this thread might have a bit of a handle on the kind of stuff I like.

It seems there was a new Evidence album out in Jan, so I'll definitely get that this weekend.

• Paid Members

Have you heard 'The Mouse Outfit'? Recently got into them, their 2nd album 'Step Steadier' is my favourite of the 2.

Ocean Wisdom's latest 'Wizville' is great. Maybe a few tracks too long but that's a common problem with underground hiphop.

• Moderators

Are those all things that exist now? Sweet.

Apollo Brown's version of 12 Reasons to Die was much better than the proper album. Another album with the two of them would be great.

Oh it's just a re-release of that :/. Sweet artwork though.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

@Chest Rockwell not much has come out this year but things I've enjoyed from recently are:

As mentioned, the Ocean Wisdom album. Not as immediate as Ocean 93, but he is such a great rapper, it's all good

Mick Jenkins-The Healing Component. Quite Slum Village/Elzhi in places, really digging him.

Black Josh, Lee Scott-Attack of the 50,000 ft Sweg Lords from Outer Space-Bit weird. If you like Strange U, or Doctor Octagon, or just dusty beats, then you should like. Includes the line "I take the mickey like I date rape myself"...ah hip hop, never change...

Coops-New High Focus signing, and all his recent singles have been great

Jam Baxter and Ed Scissor-Laminated Cakes. One of my favourite albums of last year

SonnyJim and Vic Spencer-Spencer for Hire. Think this might be right up your street

Illmove Sporadic and Big Toast-You Are Not Special. Never twigged that this producer is the big brother of one of my best mates growing up. Strong vocals, boom bap beats. He produced a great EP with a dope MC called Tenchoo couple years ago as well.

All I can think of at the moment...ENJOY!

@Merzbow Shout out Sole for making me have to look up the word solipsism when I was 16...

• Moderators

IS that all UK hop hop? If I'm honest I'll probably not bother much with the UK stuff; just not a big fan. Will check out Ocean Wisdom though, because I've heard a lot of good things (including from you guys) and I've been meaning to for ages!

(This all said, I checked out a couple tracks from The Mouse Outfit and they are pretty good..)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeah, apart from Mick Jenkins, it's pretty much all UK, sorry! Just not digging much US stuff at the moment...

Dr Syntax has been one of the best rappers in this country for well over 10 years so not surprised that The Mouse Outfit album is excellent.

I can point you in the direction of some Aussie Hip Hop? Check out the Must Volfoff album Aquanaut. Reminds me a lot of DJ Vadim/Shadow and is well worth a listen, as is anything from AB Original, who just seem like they love rapping and hip hop, which is lovely...