UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

I replaced the video. The difference between Sean P is this is literally DMX doing his usual barking thing over the traditional Christmas standard.

Haha, just listened to it now. Still prefer P's Christmas song myself. I'm not really a great fan of DMX though. 

• Paid Members

Liking what I've heard of the new Statik Selektah album '8' so far. Tracks on there featuring Run the Jewels, Action Bronson, Joey Badass, The Lox, Termanology, Sean Price, Lil Fame from MOP, Raekwon, Prodigy from Mobb Deep and a bunch more. Worth a listen. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got an Amazon voucher over Xmas and had a big Hip Hop catch up given Run The Jewels was possibly the only Hip Hop I checked out in 2017. Grabbed the new albums from:

Wu Tang
Raekwon
Sean Price
Roc Marciano
Apollo Brown & Planet Asia
Ill Bill
Meyhem Lauren & DJ Muggs
Heavy Metal Kings
Apathy
Oddisee

Only received a few of them yet but really digging that Sean Price. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, lightningxlock said:

Only received a few of them yet but really digging that Sean Price. 

I love Sean Price. One of my favourite rappers easy. I really liked the Imperius Rex album for the most part. I recommend you go back through his older stuff as well though. Start with his Heltah Skeltah days (the Nocturnal album is a classic) and his Monkey Barz, Mic Tyson and Jesus Price albums. If you liked the new album then that stuff will be right up your street. 

This is one of my favourite Sean Price tracks but it's not on any of his albums and it's not on iTunes. It was on one of his old mixtapes. 

Sean Price - Figure Four;

"Ahh where was I? Oh yes. Shawn Carter is nice but Sean Price is the best."

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators

I wasn't a huge fan of Imperius Rex in the end, but am a massive Sean Price fan as you know. Love that Figure Four track; he's done so many good verses and tracks that aren't on albums... He always kills it on Statik beats.

As well as those albums you've mentioned I think Songs in the Key of Price and Kimbo Price are must-listens. I'm sure I put it in this thread before, but I made a mix at one point of just some of his guest spots on other people's tracks -

Some really good picks I think in those albums you got @lightningxlock. Let us know how that Meyhem Lauren album is once you've had a listen please; I've been wanting to check that out!

Some hip hop I got recently and have been listening to:

Been digging into stuff by Westside Gunn and Conway. Darringer who does all their production is good (he did the best beats on the new Bronson Blue Chips album as well). Lots of good stuff there. This RIP Bobby Heenan track is as good a place to start as any I guess -

I also got recently:

Blacastan & Stu Bangers - the uncanny adventures of watson and holmes

Apathy & OC - Perestroika

Akrobatik - Built to Last (an older album from 2014 that somehow passed me by, but is probably his best work since the original ep and album back in the day)

Kyo Itachi - The Shinigami Producer - a nice collection of his beats with a lot of ruste juxx but also a bunch of other rappers

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I liked Imperius Rex but I could've done without his wife rapping on there and a couple of other tracks took it down a notch or two from his other albums we've mentioned. I thought 'Clans & Cliks' especially was a bit of a letdown considering the cast and crew they had on that one. Don't know what it was lacking but it didn't hit the spot for me. I love 'Church Bells' with Junior Reid though. 

While I'm in here, I was going old school at work just before Christmas and playing some Big Daddy Kane and I got the piss took out of me by a 20 year old Ham and Egger who worships Drake to the point he's probably got posters of him on his bedroom wall. 

Been playing the shit out of Kane lately though. His flow and wordplay was ridiculous on some of those early albums. 'Somebody's Been Sleeping In My Bed', 'That's How I Did Em', 'How U Get A Record Deal?' I could go on and on. 

Of course 'Ain't No Half Steppin' is always on my playlists;

And I loved him on 'Platinum Plus' with Big L as well; 

Each his own and that but fucking Hotline Bling ain't a thing but a chicken wing compared to BDK. 

Edited by wandshogun09

@lightningxlock Pleased to see you got the Oddisee album, one of my favourites from last year, the guy is bloody excellent.

@Chest Rockwell Thanks for the heads up on the OC & Apathy one, that had completely passed me by

@wandshogun09 Kane has always been my favourite of that era, easily more so than Rakim (who I've always thought overrated, don't @ me) and G Rap.

Just a wonderfully funny, tight, hypnotic MC who I could listen to all day. Think Wrath of Kane is my favourite track of his, plus he has had some of the GOAT album covers. Taste of Chocolate being the best one, just the most unsexy thing ever.

• Paid Members

Of the 3 - Kane, Rakim and G Rap - I have to agree I definitely rate Kane top as well. There are tracks I like from the other two but not as much as Kane's best stuff. I rarely find myself listening to the other two really, but BDK will pop up regularly in my earphones. 

I do love G Rap's 'On The Run' though. Brilliant mix of rhyming and storytelling. It's basically a Sopranos episode in Hip Hop form;