Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

does anyone else feel it's generally not as frowned upon to like wrestling these days? Listening to the Damien Abraham podcast he said something like "the internet has made it acceptable to be a geek", it made me think about how like comic book type stuff is widely accepted these days also, not that im a comic book fan but i don't think it was always like that.

• Paid Members

does anyone else feel it's generally not as frowned upon to like wrestling these days? Listening to the Damien Abraham podcast he said something like "the internet has made it acceptable to be a geek", it made me think about how like comic book type stuff is widely accepted these days also, not that im a comic book fan but i don't think it was always like that.

I get the impression that virtually all other geeky pursuits have become sort of cool now, with the exceptions of wrestling and trainspotting. WWE always fire so far wide of the mark when it comes to pop culture integration that even in an age when society has accepted most nerds of the world, wrestling fans are still rejected.

I'd say the comics thing has more to do with the proliferation of big budget movies with wall-to-wall marketing over the last decade and a half than the Internet.

What other geeky things have become socially accepted? Warhammer? Dungeons & Dragons? LARPing? Stamp collecting? MOC He-Man figures?

Sofia Vergara has gone to a PWG show. It's not super duper uncool. Indie wrestling seems pretty solid within Hipster Culture too.

Indie Wrestling is definitely becoming a 'thing' in hipster Culture, Nixon Newell appeared on this guy's Instragram I know who is the ultimate hipster (He's like 42 and dresses like he's 16 still, complete with Baseball cap and skinny jeans)

• Paid Members

Wrestling even gets a brief mention in Aziz Ansari's Netflix series Master of None, and that was the most hipster-riffic comedy (even if I think it was supposed to actually be mocking those very people at points) I've seen in a while. So it can't be totally out of the sphere of cultural zeitgeist.

• Paid Members

Wrestling even gets a brief mention in Aziz Ansari's Netflix series Master of None, and that was the most hipster-riffic comedy (even if I think it was supposed to actually be mocking those very people at points) I've seen in a while. So it can't be totally out of the sphere of cultural zeitgeist.

Really? When? I can’t remember :/

• Paid Members

It's super brief when Dev is talking to a street vendor (I forget which ep, it's the one where he's searching for the perfect Tacos) and the vendor says he's busy listening to a wrestling podcast, and elaborates on it being a CM Punk interview. Super brief, but notable that it snuck in there I thought.

• Paid Members

Wrestling even gets a brief mention in Aziz Ansari's Netflix series Master of None, and that was the most hipster-riffic comedy (even if I think it was supposed to actually be mocking those very people at points) I've seen in a while.

Nobody self identifies as a hipster, just like nobody thinks they're the chav. Same thing for being a "dem wan" or "IWC member". It's always about someone else.

• Paid Members

It's super brief when Dev is talking to a street vendor (I forget which ep, it's the one where he's searching for the perfect Tacos) and the vendor says he's busy listening to a wrestling podcast, and elaborates on it being a CM Punk interview. Super brief, but notable that it snuck in there I thought.

Ah, yes! I remember now! Thanks! :D