Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

McGregor and the UFC are operating on a whole different mainstream level to Sheamus and WWE these days.

I honestly don't think the WWE has been as unpopular this side of the Atlantic since the very early 90's.

Edited by garynysmon

WWE would do well to emulate him in some way. They need a character who can go viral. They won't do it with 20 minute promos, they need quick 30 second antics away from the ring that people find cool or genuinely funny.

I've thought a character with a foul mouth could be interesting in today's wrestling. Someone who isn't allowed to hold a live mic in the ring because Corperate are terrified of what he might say, meaning all interviews have to be pre taped and edited. They could Kayfabe the fuck out of it, constantly having to apologise for this wrestler "going off script." Could be a good way of protecting someone who isn't a great talker like Balor, or be a way of giving a huge boost to Ambrose or Owens

The early 90s were booming for the WWF over here.

He's been on Conan O'Brien's show in the US, and he's been on the Late Late Show in Ireland.

So has Sheamus.

So has Paige. So what does that say about the guest bookings for O'Brien ?

Edited by The Clint

I mean 1990 really, before everyone got Sky in 1992. I doubt the WWF was ever as popular as it was in 92 (and yes that includes the Attitude era).

The WWF didnt tour in the UK till November 89. Those tours were sold out, although as far as im aware it was only The Docklands and NEC they went to. To say it was unpopular in 1990 is a strange thing to say, it was not unpopular it was on a gradual rise. I remember trying to get tickets to an NEC show in 1990 and it was sold out within a couple of days. 91 was another sellout UK tour with Bulldog V Quake headling the NIA. The best show i have seen live, featured Taker v Piper and Von Erich v Flair.

Many people had Sky pre 92 as the ticket sales show.

• Paid Members

The only indication that anyone in WWE knows who Conor McGregor is was Becky Lynch stealing his, "we're not here to take part, we're here to take over," line earlier in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch came up with that herself though. Other than that, I highly doubt anyone of importance knows who he is. They clearly don't watch the UFC. They know who Rousey is, sure, but they haven't actually watched any of her fights if their attempt to make stars out of their own women is any indication.

Even if the WWE brass knew about Conor, and had followed or studied his UFC career, I've got zero confidence that they'd be able to successfully take from it or manage to emulate what he's achieved. They're in completely different businesses, doing completely different things.

Conor is doing pro wrestling. He's cutting fun, whacky, witty promos, he's doing hilarious stunts like stealing belts, he's flipping people off or giving them the, "Just Bring It," hand gesture during face-offs, he's standing out as completely different to everyone else, making himself a star and selling fights. And most importantly, he's fucking winning. Over and over again. WWE on the other hand are making movies. Really shit, boring movies with crap characters that all talk and act the same and all win and lose equally so that no-one becomes a star and no-one cares about any of their fights.

• Paid Members

WWE would do well to emulate him in some way. They need a character who can go viral. They won't do it with 20 minute promos, they need quick 30 second antics away from the ring that people find cool or genuinely funny.

I've thought a character with a foul mouth could be interesting in today's wrestling. Someone who isn't allowed to hold a live mic in the ring because Corperate are terrified of what he might say, meaning all interviews have to be pre taped and edited. They could Kayfabe the fuck out of it, constantly having to apologise for this wrestler "going off script." Could be a good way of protecting someone who isn't a great talker like Balor, or be a way of giving a huge boost to Ambrose or Owens

Ugh. That's Russo level dire.

The only indication that anyone in WWE knows who Conor McGregor is was Becky Lynch stealing his, "we're not here to take part, we're here to take over," line earlier in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch came up with that herself though. Other than that, I highly doubt anyone of importance knows who he is. They clearly don't watch the UFC. They know who Rousey is, sure, but they haven't actually watched any of her fights if their attempt to make stars out of their own women is any indication.

Even if the WWE brass knew about Conor, and had followed or studied his UFC career, I've got zero confidence that they'd be able to successfully take from it or manage to emulate what he's achieved. They're in completely different businesses, doing completely different things.

I'd be surprised if Vince knows who Conor McGregor is, but surely the writers would.  It may be as simple as a writer telling Vince about an Irish fighter who is becoming something of a mainstream celebrity, and Vince's shrivelled brain has decided that Sheamus could do the same thing.