Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What do you define as "classic"? The WWF in the late 80s/early 90s wasn't about classic matches. It wasnt to pretty in the ring, but DiBiase and Andre's feud with the Mega Powers was as classic as anything from that era. As was the Jake the Snake feud, and the Virgil feud. It was all about the angles and big characters back then. Its what they were selling.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

That Vampiro video is amazing. If WWE made a video like that to debut a new wrestler there would be discussion for the next 15 years about how that wrestler should have been world champion.

Lucha Underground is fucking amazing really. They have the ability to make you care about pretty much everything that's going on. Chavo, Mundo and Big Ryk have all done the best work of their careers there. Alberto is loads more watchable. Prince Puma is pure money. Pentagon Jr is a merchandise machine waiting to happen. I even like Jack Evans despite hearing only the worst reviews of him possible.

Really excited to watch their big show

What do you define as "classic"? The WWF in the late 80s/early 90s wasn't about classic matches. It wasnt to pretty in the ring, but DiBiase and Andre's feud with the Mega Powers was as classic as anything from that era. As was the Jake the Snake feud, and the Virgil feud. It was all about the angles and big characters back then. Its what they were selling.

I appreciate this, but I just find it interesting... I don't think he ever had that great in-ring outing. The cage match with IRS against the Steiners was probably closest.

Dunno what happened to the ROH thread but I cant think of a single TV debut I enjoyed more than this

Lethal's facial expression in that vid is classic. If this isn't WON gimmick of the year something's gone seriously wrong

"it's about time somebody came and made this world colourful"

Edited by sj5522

Probably better for the Lucha thread, but in case anyone misses it, its Lucha Undergrounds season finale tonight. Their WrestleMania of sorts. Its got Alberto vs John Morrison, a big cluster fuck of a 7 man. ALSO the return to the ring of Vampiro. Which probably doesnt sound like much, but just watch the trailer for tonights show. Its just amazing.

Thanks for the reminder of this - I started watching this a month or two back and it's lots of fun. Agree with the Vampiro stuff too. The kooky medallion storyline opening segments are great, reminds me of Sunset Beach, which of course was amazing.

• Paid Members

Probably better for the Lucha thread, but in case anyone misses it, its Lucha Undergrounds season finale tonight. ALSO the return to the ring of Vampiro. Which probably doesnt sound like much, but just watch the trailer for tonights show. Its just amazing.

...Agree with the Vampiro stuff too. The kooky medallion storyline opening segments are great, reminds me of Sunset Beach, which of course was amazing.
Wow I love Vampiro he's one of my favourites ever, I heard Lucha underground was cool but I had no idea it was Vampiro in Sunset Beach level cool, it sounds amazing. I reeaalllly don't want more wrestling to watch but I guess I have to give it a go, how much of it is there? What's a good starting point?

• Paid Members

I lost track after the brilliant triple threat ladder match and could never catch up which is absolutely gutting because it's a fantastic product.

Knowing it was a "season", I was hoping to catch up once it finished but it just kept going!

Fantastic promo vid, cheers for sharing.

I kind of dismissed Lucha Underground. Not that I was really eager to dismiss it or anything, just when I catch a new product for the first time, I'm either basically completely into it and made a full-time fan within minutes or I forget to ever watch another bit of it

I checked a couple of acclaimed matches such as the casket one and they were of a really high quality, just didn't click with me as something I needed to watch week-to-week, unlike, well, wrestling generally.

The presentation always stood out as an aside though so I should give it another shot with that in mind and see if I get hooked this time

Edited by sj5522

It started last October and (including last nights) there have been a total of 39 episodes

39 episodes? Fuck that. Are there ppvs or highlight shows or specials or anything?
The episodes are only 40 minutes long excluding add breaks. You can pick it up anywhere and watch, but they tend to have one great match a week so it's worth watching it all

Ted Dibiase never had a classic match in the WWF. Discuss.

Theres a match V The Hitman from MSG which was shown on Prime Time which was as good as it got for the in ring product at that time, 91. I imagine he tore it up on house shows with The Hitman, Savage and other great workers.

• Paid Members

Great story about WCW from a 1990 Observer. They drew 180 at a San Antonio house show. The road agent went to the box office and, once they deducted fees for ticketing and security staff, got a cheque for $6.

The agent then spent $15 to courier it to WCW head office.

• Paid Members

Must be this card..

NWA @ San Antonio, TX - Blossom Athletic Center - September 12, 1990 (180)
Hector Guerrero pinned Buddy Landel
Lou Perez pinned Barry Horowitz
Norman pinned the Iron Sheik
Bambi defeated Susan Sexton in a non-title match
El Gigante defeated Dr. X (Randy Culley)
Ricky Morton & Terry Taylor (sub. for Robert Gibson) defeated Bill Irwin (sub. for NWA Tag Team Champion Ron Simmons) & NWA Tag Team Champion Butch Reed; Gibson was out injured and Simmons missed because his wife was ill
Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong defeated Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin