Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I thought the other way around to he honest. I find Flair boring apart from a handful of matches. Triple H was boring until about 1998 and had some dull times when he was desperate to be Ric Flair but overall I think he's got a hell of a body of work. He's had dozens of really good matches with lots of different people of differing ability levels and in all sorts of scenarios that tell different stories.

Trips has had at least one match I'd call brilliant with the Undertaker, Rock, Austin, Batista, Foley, Austin, HBK, Jericho, Cena, Nash, Flair and more.

For most of the last 15 years he's been able to go in with anyone and have an exciting match. Benoit, Rikishi, Taka, Vinny Mac, Orton, Jeff Hardy, etc.

Only when things are overbooked in some vain attempt to force a classic or he isn't in the mood to play does he have a bad match.

• Paid Members

MEN ON A MISSION EXPLODE!!!

Cassandra Frazier, the widow of the late Nelson Frazier (Mabel/Big Daddy V/Viscera) complained in an Examiner.com article that his longtime tag team partner Bobby Horne (Mo) had given her less than $100 from all of his fund raising efforts. Frazier passed away in February from a massive heart attack and had no insurance. His money was tight as he hadn’t been working since he broke his arm a few weeks before his death, and the family didn’t even have enough money to pay for a funeral. Horne had started fund raising. “I initially thought no one cared, no one remembered Nelson,” Cassandra Frazier said. “I thought, `How can these people be so cruel, but then I found out they did care, and so many tried, to help, but I never received a dime that was sent to Bobby.” She also said that Horne had told people the money he raised paid for Nelson Frazier’s funeral, but she said that wasn’t true. “If he paid for Nelson to be cremated and for his urn, then why did I have to sell almost everything in our house? I have almost nothing left. I have had to move so many times since Nelson passed, and you know if I would have gotten anything at all from Bobby, I might have been okay.” She also said the only money she made from a Nelson Frazier benefit show was the money she made selling his photos. Horne said the money he raised went for the service, but Cassandra Frazier said the church where the service was held did the service for free, and she paid for the food at the service. “He’s a liar, plain and simple,” she said. “He was always asking people for money for his kidney transplant and his dialysis on Facebook, but hardly at all since Nelson died. He spent all that money on himself and his dialysis. He’s a scumbag and I will tell that to his face.” She also said she would take a lie detector test on her statements and asks if he would do the same. “Nelson didn’t even like him. He didn’t trust him. He didn’t want him over the house, so why did I believe him when he said he would help me? I don’t know.”

Oscar, who managed Horne & Frazier early on in their WWE run, backed Horne, saying in an interview with Under the Mat radio that he was in constant communication with Cassandra Frazier, and said she was lying, saying Horne was broke before and is still broke. He said that once Horne asked people for donations, he got so much negativity that he shut it down and went on Facebook and said he was having trouble. He said Nelson Frazier had a few close friends who did donate, and Horne had proof he sent her the money.

Who do you believe? That is "very Mo". I imagine he still has Mable's crown as well.

• Paid Members

I dunno, Nelson's wife sounds like a bit of a looney too. She went mental online in those CAPSLOCK rants she posted immediately after his death, blaming WWE for his death, calling them evil and all sorts. Sounded batshit crazy. Then she back-tracked on everything she had said and apologised to WWE just days or weeks after, presumably because they had actually been nice to her and helped out a little bit or something. She doesn't seem like a reliable source, put it that way.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just thinking back to when I read the WWE book "My Favourite Match", it was a sweet read, just a few pages from 20 wrestlers documenting their favourite match they had been apart of.

Im pretty sure that it was in HHHs chapter he spoke of the original plans for WrestleMania 26. He states that the original card was going to feature the matches of...

HHH v Sheamus

Taker v Drew McIntyre

HBK v Miz

Its makes sense as at the time Miz was climbing the Raw ranks with the US title and he and Big Show were tag champs aswell. Drew McIntyre was feuding with Kane in the early part of 2010 which woukd segue nicely into a Taker fued. Obviously them 2 of them got scrapped (thank christ) so we got the awesome Taker/HBK sequel.

It got me thinking "when was HBK planning to retire?" if they had kept to the HBK v Miz match?... unless Miz was going to retire HBShizzle at Mania? Na.

Logically it would point to getting another year out of Michaels and doing the Taker sequel at Mania 27, were he would then retire.

Fascinating stuff.

• Paid Members

Radio Times now has a searchable archive. Wrestling Heritage already put together details of when the BBC broadcast pro wrestling (http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/WEBPROTECT-theotherside1.htm and http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/other.html#BBC) but I pulled out these non-wrestling shows which had a wrestling-theme or segment up to 1989. I'll probably dig out the post-89 ones at a later date to post here.

23 May 1962:

Woman's Hour (Light Programme radio)

Introduced by Marjorie Anderson and including... Is Wrestling Phoney T: Tim Bowden enquires 

29 August 1968:

Home This Afternoon (Radio 4)

A family magazine introduced by TIM GUDGIN and including: Three Falls to Win:  DEREK PARKER looks at the world of professional wrestling 

27 November 1970:

You and Yours (Radio 4)

Joan Yorke presents the Radio 4 series that tackles topics of direct concern to you Today's main feature: The Wrestling Phenomenon: how lucrative? How painful? MONTY MODLYN lifts the lid off one of the most successful spectator sports in the country - especially among women.

9 May 1973:

It Takes All Sorts (Radio 4)

Mick McManus, in the world of wrestling, is the equivalent of the pantomime demon king - cunning, malevolent, ruthless and unscrupulous. He talks to RITA DANDO about the hazards of his profession and why he fosters the image of the man they love to hate. Producer MICHELL RAPER 

1 September 1974:

The Grunt and Groan Men (BBC Radio London)

The private and public battles of those Londoners who make their living from wrestling Producer FIONA CAMPBELL

6 August 1979:

Pick of The Philpott File (BBC Two)

A Right Pair of Villains. A film report by Trevor Philpott. Their wrestling programme says the Klondyke Brothers were born in the toughest, farthest-flung corner of Alaska. You have to be careful what you believe, but they are certainly the most massive and probably the most monstrous pair of entertainers on the boards. Between them they weigh 56 stones and every ounce of it Is villainous. Every night the crowds fill the halls in the hope of seeing these two ugly, misshapen, merciless men take a long overdue beating. 

25 October 1979:

The Secret Life... of Brian Maxine (Radio 4)

In which Paul Heiney visits a professional wrestling champion as well as a country and western singer. It odd, since they both have the same name of Brian Maxine - maybe they're related. 

11 June 1980:

The Big Time (BBC One)

Another series of the programme which gives an amateur the chance to join the professional world of his dreams. Keith Rawlinson - wrestler Reporter Paul Heiney Keith Rawlinson is a schoolmaster in Burnley-but he has always longed to be a professional wrestler. Now The Big Time gives him the chance. It takes three months of strict training and body building during which Keith is advised by some of the biggest names in wrestling including KENT WALTON, BIG DADDY and World Lightweight Champion, JOHNNY SAINT. His big moment is a match - in an all-star bill at the most glamorous wrestling venue in the country - London's Royal Albert Hall.  Producer ESTHER RANTZEN Film editor ROGER GUERTIN Director NICK HANDEL

1 June 1982:

Looking Good, Feeling Fit (BBC One)

The last of the present series with Richard Stilgoe, Gillian Reynolds and Dr Mike Smith. Bubbly Clare Grogan reveals the secret of her endless vitality, and Mitzi Mueller , blonde bombshell of the wrestling ring, muscles up for a fight.

25 October 1982:

Woman's Hour (Radio 4)

From Crosby Civic Hall. Introduced by Sue MacGregor , who meets " The Blonde Bombshell Mitzi Mueller , British and European Ladies Wrestling Champion.

17 May 1984:

Actuality (Radio 4)

A series of montage documentaries. Not a Night for the Squeamish ... it ain't easy: I do 2,000 miles a week, get hated by the punters, thumped by the wrestlers and when it's finished, I have to dismantle the ring ... Frank Casey , ex-pipe fitter, ex-antique shop owner, now works for Brian Dixon Wrestling Enterprises as a referee. Actuality follows him through a harrassed evening as he presides over a theatre of cruelty including Manchester's Flying Sensation, Liverpool's Teenage Speed Machine, Klondyke Kate , Leather Lena , Gaylord Steve Peacock and others. With GEMMA BEST , RAY CRAWLEY , MITZI MUELLER and MONY SWAN 

16 August 1984:

Barnes' People II (Radio 3)

A series of duologues by PETER BARNES. 6: Moondog Rogan and the Mighty Hamster with Eileen Atkins and Barbara Leigh-Hunt Women's Professional Wrestling - 'ballet with balls' or chess with sweat'. An insight into the wilder shores of show-business. Directed by IAN COTTERELL

15 February 1986:

Another Saturday Night (Radio 4)

Nigel Farrell goes in search of the great British Saturday night out. From early evening cocktails with a peer of the realm to a boisterous bout of female wrestling and a brief stop at a Barbershop Harmony convention. Then on to a gathering of old comrades at a regimental reunion, before ending the night in style with a champagne breakfast at a hunt ball. Advice, too, on alternative entertainment should you be at a loose end tonight. Producer SIMON SHAW 

24 November 1986:

Valerie (BBC One)

One of the Boys. Mark has always been the brains of the family, now he wants to be one of the boys and take up sport. However, when he chooses wrestling Valerie puts her foot down. Written by JACE RICHDALE Directed by ASAAD KELADA

7 February 1988:

Did You See...?

Ludovic Kennedy is joined by his studio guests for a review of Screen Two: Stanley (BBC2) Scottish Eye (Channel 4) First Tuesday (ITV) Guests: Muriel Gray Charles Kennedy Mandy Merck and Jacquie Hughes watches the recording of a tv wrestling match in Burnley and talks to Big Daddy and Kent Walton about the fortunes of their flamboyant sport. Film director KRISHNA GOVENDER Studio director ARCHIE BARON Producer Nicholas BARKER

12 April 1988:

The Ring of Truth (Radio 4)

A comedy in two falls and one submission by ANDREW GOREING with and In his day. Barney Bloodaxe - the man who bit off Eric Rasputin 's ear - was a titan of the wrestling ring. Now he has hung up his trunks and turned pro-gardener, but Harold has other ideas and plans for a bout to end all bouts ... Directed by JEREMY HOWE 

9 March 1989:

40 Minutes (BBC Two)

The way we live now Raging Belles. Miss Nicky Monroe 'Beautiful but Deadly' v Klondyke Kate 'Hell in Boots'. The two top women wrestlers in Britain contend for the British Ladies Championship Belt. In the blue comer - Klondyke Kate. At 15, she ran away from home to train as a wrestler. Kate weighs in at 20-stone and she's the villain of the ring - a jeering, aggressive fighter the crowds love to hate. At home, on a Liverpool council estate, she cares for her 2-year-old son, Adam. In the red corner - Nicky Monroe. She comes from a Bournemouth wrestling family and has fought from the age of 17. Slim and feminine, she's the favourite of the crowds. Outside the ring she does nursing community work in Rhyl with the elderly. In the weeks before the Championship, nerves become taut. It's all set to be a hard, unsparing fight.... Photography LORAINE SMITH , ANNE PARISIO Film editor DENISE PERRIN Producer ANNE PARISIO 

• Paid Members

11 June 1980:

The Big Time (BBC One)

Another series of the programme which gives an amateur the chance to join the professional world of his dreams. Keith Rawlinson - wrestler Reporter Paul Heiney Keith Rawlinson is a schoolmaster in Burnley-but he has always longed to be a professional wrestler. Now The Big Time gives him the chance. It takes three months of strict training and body building during which Keith is advised by some of the biggest names in wrestling including KENT WALTON, BIG DADDY and World Lightweight Champion, JOHNNY SAINT. His big moment is a match - in an all-star bill at the most glamorous wrestling venue in the country - London's Royal Albert Hall.  Producer ESTHER RANTZEN Film editor ROGER GUERTIN Director NICK HANDEL

This was featured in an episode of Russell Brand's Ponderland:-

Edited by Devon Malcolm