Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

If Zach Gowen had stuck around a bit longer, do you think they would have done some kind of spot in the rumble around the whole 'both feet touching the floor' rule?

Probably the first thing they'd do if they did a heel turn with him.

• Paid Members

Shelton Benjamin still had the "blue chipper, rookie future world champion" tag on him when idiots spoke even after he'd been there for years and years and years, because so little of note happened in his career that he never seemed to become a veteran.

And that was after he won UKFF's Rookie of The Year in 2004, despite having been on WrestleMania in 2003. That's why the award was later renamed "breakout star."

• Paid Members

I know that CZW has an (accuruate) reputation as being a shitty promotion, but their official theme tune from 2000 onwards is one of my favorite wrestling tunes ever. It's so fucking manly and awesome. Miles better than ECW's theme.

LAY THE LAW

ONCE AGAIN

PREPARE FOR WAR

CZW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1sJQr24DE#t=130

Shelton Benjamin still had the "blue chipper, rookie future world champion" tag on him when idiots spoke even after he'd been there for years and years and years, because so little of note happened in his career that he never seemed to become a veteran.

And that was after he won UKFF's Rookie of The Year in 2004, despite having been on WrestleMania in 2003. That's why the award was later renamed "breakout star."

I think Michael Cole called Kofi Kingston "the veteran" the other day.  I'm not buying that.

That Lost Generation probably just needs to leave and come back later.  Ziggler et al would benefit from a bit of "got better in Japan" type hype.  I imagine that if MVP or John Morrison came back to WWE right now they'd feel a lot more significant.

MVP wouldn't, he smells of TNA.

:laugh: That's brilliant. Did anyone notice before the voting closed?

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

:laugh: That's brilliant. Did anyone notice before the voting closed?

Yeah, there was a debate about it. But there wasn't actually any rule that said what a "rookie" was in wrestling terms.

Great couple of posts by Steak and Pitcos. It really is astonishing how much wrestling changed every couple of years between from about 89 to 99. Unrecognisable at times from a couple of years earlier. And yet it seems to move so slowly these days. Although having said that, I see names I forget existed all the time, even guys who were around a while like Sylvain Grenier or Charlie Haas or something.

Interesting point about the Raw concept which is basically the same now as in 1998, as are Smackdown, PPV's and Impact. What's the answer though? I imagine if you asked most people, they'd just say stuff we had before. I know I miss the long entrance ways, the video walls and the interviews on the stage. Not sure if they'd work now though.

I started writing a reply to Steak, but deleted it all. Pitcos put it better than I would have though they were similar points. Will WWE change their formatting unless they need to? They started Raw when they were on a decline, they started the Attitude era because of the WCW and nWo's popularity and changed from that direction when Benoit went psycho. I think they've lessened the kid friendly elements and have struck a decent balance but visually it's virtually the same as when it first went HD in 2008, nearly seven years ago. Of course, they've changed logo now.

And when they went to HD, they produced the set that would be the universal set for their TV shows. I'm sure they saved a lot of money, and they won't be looking at spending on sets now, but they now have, what, five weekly shows that essentially look the same.

In terms of formatting, do you reckon things will change a lot when Kevin Dunn stops? They could do with getting someone contemporary in, though I appreciate he's an expert. I feel it's quite rare someone properly grabs your attention in wrestling now, maybe in part because of how clean it looks.

The only thing I can think is to take from what's 'in' at the moment. In my mind, that's reality TV, social media, hip hop, the 'YOLO' mindset and party culture. How you weave that into wrestling, I've no idea. Trash TV and grunge seemed more apt for a wrestling product. Adam Rose is a shite party character. Tyler Breeze is a decent contemporary character, but he's pretty shit.

Edited by Sphinx

Rewatching Survivor Series 94 before the England game (bought the 93/94 Tagged Classic set from Ebay last week) and in particular the Submission match between Bret Hart and Bob Backlund. Even nearly 20 years on from that match, Owen Hart's antics as the tearful brother pleading with Stu and Helen to throw the towel in as Bret's locked in the Chickenwing is bloody convincing and I still love how at first he doesn't know what to do after the match is over then just runs off cheering like a total rat bastard, towel in hand

• Paid Members

Makes you wonder if Nitro would have bombed on that first night at the Mall of America, and then said "fuck this" like TNA's network did, I wonder if we'd still have Raw and Nitro doing one hour taped shows on seperate nights today? Wrestling promotions only ever seen to change if they are forced into it. WWF never wanted to go live (to expensive) or give away main events every week on TV. And WWE is only as big commercially as it is today because of the success in 98/2001 when their new format caught on massive. And ever since wrestling has been a nostalgia show to those glory days (the format has barely changed and the look of the show is an upgraded version of the 2000 set). Without that, I wonder how WWE would have done now. WCW would probably still be around now, because it was only through massive success that they fell off the cliff so bad. But it would probably at TNA's level. Without that big boom period, I wonder what the perception of wrestling would be like now?

Rewatching Survivor Series 94 before the England game (bought the 93/94 Tagged Classic set from Ebay last week) and in particular the Submission match between Bret Hart and Bob Backlund. Even nearly 20 years on from that match, Owen Hart's antics as the tearful brother pleading with Stu and Helen to throw the towel in as Bret's locked in the Chickenwing is bloody convincing and I still love how at first he doesn't know what to do after the match is over then just runs off cheering like a total rat bastard, towel in hand

That match only finished just before you bought the DVD as well.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay