Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Ok the 'real life' part' was a bit far fetched, but fucking hell I can't be the only one who thinks Ambrose sounds utterly ridiculous when he talks? He's the only one who makes me cringe out of the whole roster.

I think part of it might be, as OTT as it is, Ambrose does speak with a lot of passion. The majority of the roster sound like they're reading off cue cards when they speak, like those terrible "Imma win the Rumble" clips the other week. I'd rather someone be overly passionate than speak with zero conviction.

• Paid Members
If you went about talking like Ultimate Warrior you would get sectioned.

I don't know about that - he certainly hasn't been. And the only times you can understand him tend to be offensive.

Ok the 'real life' part' was a bit far fetched, but fucking hell I can't be the only one who thinks Ambrose sounds utterly ridiculous when he talks? He's the only one who makes me cringe out of the whole roster.

I haven't been following as much WWE as I could have, but if you think that about Ambrose, it might be not because he's over the top, but because he's unengaging. Nonsense promos tend to work because the guy speaking has a force of personality and charisma that gets you into whatever they're talking about, even if it's pure mentalism.

I reckon those shitty, news-style Calgon ads they're doing right now would be much better to watch and would sell more stuff if it was Warrior hosting them.

• Paid Members
Nonsense promos tend to work because the guy speaking has a force of personality and charisma that gets you into whatever they're talking about, even if it's pure mentalism.

Bray Wyatt is a perfect example of this. He's a proper gimmick, but he's so engaging and into what he's doing that you can fully suspend your disbelief when he's ranting about something that barely makes sense. This upcoming Cena feud has so much potential.

• Paid Members

I can answer that, I asked this on a WWE writers podcast years ago (cant remember where it is now) when the big thing was WWE writer leaking info. Vince himself hates it. He hates the way boxing is presented, he thinks having logos everywhere looks tacky (unless its his own) and hates the idea of other peoples logos all over his TV. The idea has been brought up of wrestlers having sponsors on their gear for years (or even doing the ring announcements like "from Aberdeen Washington, sponsored by some bearded related product ... Daniel Bryan") and he's shot it down all the time. Which sort of shows how much power Lesnar had in those contract negotiations since he swung getting all those sponsors on his gear. Vince also doesn't want to have the headache of either giving money out to people and blurring logos out when the relationship with that sponsor inevitably dies a massive death (like they always do with wrestling). Its the control freak in him as well as his personal hate for boxing promoters.

I'm with you though. Not only would you make a killing, things just look better when there's a load of colourful logos around the place. I always thought having electric advertising boards like you see in the Premiership surrounding the ring would look excellent.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
I can answer that, I asked this on a WWE writers podcast years ago (cant remember where it is now) when the big thing was WWE writer leaking info. Vince himself hates it. He hates the way boxing is presented, he thinks having logos everywhere looks tacky (unless its his own) and hates the idea of other peoples logos all over his TV. The idea has been brought up of wrestlers having sponsors on their gear for years (or even doing the ring announcements like "from Aberdeen Washington, sponsored by some bearded related product ... Daniel Bryan") and he's shot it down all the time. Which sort of shows how much power Lesnar had in those contract negotiations since he swung getting all those sponsors on his gear. Vince also doesn't want to have the headache of either giving money out to people and blurring logos out when the relationship with that sponsor inevitably dies a massive death (like they always do with wrestling). Its the control freak in him as well as his personal hate for boxing promoters.

I'm with you though. Not only would you make a killing, things just look better when there's a load of colourful logos around the place. I always thought having electric advertising boards like you see in the Premiership surrounding the ring would look excellent.

I figured the answer would probably be "Vince says no". That's great info though, cheers.

I'm also a big fan of the WCW/ECW canvases. I could see why they might avoid that as this way it's the same canvas

for every event. That would be true of sponsored though.

Guess he's got to leave something for the person who takes over from him to improve on!