Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Has anyone managed to make Del Rio interesting or upped his stock though? He's worked with people like Cena and Punk and he's always been a total bore. Swagger has had less opportunities at the top, but he's also always been as dull as shit on his own too.

He was brilliant booting Ziggler in the head over and over again while ostensibly still a babyface, and then coming out and cutting that coy tweener promo immediately after. I proper loved all that, and I don't usually like either of them.

Either side of that match he's be a fucking drain in every feud he's had for years.

For sure. That match was absolutely brilliant. Loved it.

• Paid Members
I've been watching 2000s ECW quite a bit lately, Cyrus was so brilliantly smarmy and self-righteous.

A right legit arsehole by all accounts. Probably burned too many bridges in his grappling career.

WCW was supposedly going to snap him up in 2001 though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
What a look Don Callis had. Always looked rather shifty. A brilliant talker as well. He's one of those guys from the boom period where if he came around today he'd be 50 times more over than he was at the time. Someone like him would be perfect for WWE or TNA right now.

Don_Callis_02.jpg

Is the Cornette interview with him worth a listen?

• Paid Members

The biggest trick they missed with Del Rio was not putting him in a mask, if they had had him exactly the same, scarf, big cars, personal ring announcer etc. but he had done the whole thing in a Mexican wrestling mask I think he'd be huge, the visual impact of it would be great. I believe he was supposed to come in in a mask but CM Punk was (very briefly) wearing one at the time so they didn't, it would've made a huge difference I think.

I could be wrong but I saw Del Rio work a house show tour before he debuted. He wasn't using the name Alberto Del Rio at this point.

I think he wore a mask to the ring and took it off once in the ring.

Was the name Dos Caras?

Yeah, he was Dos Caras (two faces? Hence the two eagle heads on his trucks) for a bit before debuting. he seemed to work dark matches (against Kane usually) for what seemed like forever according to that section Powerslam had were they would report house show results

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members
I'm guessing he wasn't listed as "Dos Caras Jr." - WWE don't seem to like the whole "Jr." thing.

It's Vince that doesn't like it apparently, allegedly because he is a Jr. and has a bit of a complex about it.

Years go quicker when you're older don't they. It's just occurred to me that assuming Hogan comes back this year, he's been away from WWE 7 years, almost as long as his original 9 year one in the 90s, it hasn't seemed half as long this time round. Not that I'm not excited to see him, but it doesn't seem ten minutes since he was pushing Shawn Michaels about and titting around with Randy Orton.

• Paid Members
I'm guessing he wasn't listed as "Dos Caras Jr." - WWE don't seem to like the whole "Jr." thing.

It's Vince that doesn't like it apparently, allegedly because he is a Jr. and has a bit of a complex about it.

I did not know that. Seems odd. I always thought it was a shame he didn't call Shane "Vince" instead, so he could be Vince McMahon III, which sounds awesome as a heel name.

Years go quicker when you're older don't they. It's just occurred to me that assuming Hogan comes back this year, he's been away from WWE 7 years, almost as long as his original 9 year one in the 90s, it hasn't seemed half as long this time round. Not that I'm not excited to see him, but it doesn't seem ten minutes since he was pushing Shawn Michaels about and titting around with Randy Orton.

I think it might also be because the programming's faster-paced these days. Storylines move more quickly and there's a lot more programing, so you don't really get "time to miss them", if that makes sense.

I think it might also be because the programming's faster-paced these days. Storylines move more quickly and there's a lot more programing, so you don't really get "time to miss them", if that makes sense.

Neither of those things are true compared to the late nineties or the mid-2000s. We're lucky to even see a storyline these days, let alone a fast-paced one. It's the opposite, if anything. Most of the roster are in a kind of suspended animation where they just stay there for years and never really get past that "young rookie with potential" phase even if they turn fifty. Kofi Kingston's been in WWE for about twice as long as Yokozuna ever was.

• Paid Members

And they show replays of every angle about 5 times a week over the various shows. It's impossible to miss the little that does actually happen.

Kofi Kingston is a perfect example of the lazy booking. He's been there for years, can work, can talk pretty good and gets a good reaction and has only had ONE storyline. I wish they would hire me as a writer. My dream job is spending all day coming up with wacky fun storylines for mid carders.