Your Back Garden Wrestling Memories

Forrest

I once had a ladder match and took a chockslam from the top of the ladder. I wanted to really sell the move but unfortunately I moved awkwardly mid-air and my mate slammed me head first into the lawn. I had a headache for about a week and was probably mildly concussed. There was a video of it but it disappeared. I remember my head made an almighty THWACK! when I hit the ground. Needless to say that marked the end of our garden wrestling days.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My one proper Backyard wrestling experience is commited to film, and I present it here for you to rip the piss out of.

I make no excuses for this, we were drunk, possibly high, but old enough to know better. However, it's essentially a spoof of backyard wrestling, and it's quite funny in places now I look back on it. I'm Andrew 'The Body' Keeble. We did this at a house party round my mates, and filmed the wrestling the next day. I was proper into film editing at the time, so I edited it on my Mac trying to make it like a PPV edit.

Part 1: Intro, Promo, build up

Part 2: The Match

No injuries to speak of, we were using polystryne 'breeze blocks' and whisks as weapons for a start. And we avoided doing anything too stupid. I did get nicely winded from the spear though. That hurt like a bastard.

• Paid Members

I think I got off fairly lightly after reading these stories. We used to have matches on the back field at school, mostly quite successfully. It was relatively tame, mostly headlocks and the odd suplex, and people unsuccessfully trying to do stunners and Rock bottoms. I do remember one lad getting given a very awkward looking sharpshooter/crippler crossface form two of my other friends, and they really clamped those down. Super workers :D

Unfortunately, I was the reason it all ended. My friends gave me an awesome looking thesz press, which I unfortunately saw too late, and landed with my arm behind me, breaking it instantly. I was in plaster for a good 6 weeks. And that was that, no more wrestling, as everyone freaked out about it!

• Moderators

Did anyone not execute a stunner and not ruin their coccyx?

When I was about 5, me and my 12 year old brother would play wrestling (IE he'd make me play wrestling). He decided I had to come up with my own gimmick, and so I came up with TUNNELMAN. It was essentially a wrestling man who works in tunnels. I saw the 1995 character boom coming in 1990. I also came up with FISHMAN, who was a wrestler who used to go fishing. All of these would fall in quick order to my brothers characters like Spacksmasher and ButchIsGayMan and his not in hindsight bullying at all matches consisting of full pelt powerbombs and evil torture racks.

Being the youngest is ace...

My brother once suplexed me and I came down ankle first on a radiator. The same brother also pretended to hit me with a bicycle pump but it flew out of his hands, hit me in the face, broke my tooth in half and lodged the broken half into my bottom lip!

Big brothers have alot to answer for.

Biscuit tins and roasting trays were a favouite in our house aswell, make a helluva noise and dont do too much damage.

• Paid Members

Back in 1999 I was suplexed off of a fence into a play area, had to have two weeks off school with a completely fucked back and still suffer today because of it. I cringe at how stupid it was every time i take my little one to the same park.

Before I had to "retire" due to my back injury I thought nothing of flipping off of my shed on to an old mattress, or piledriving my little baby brother on the sofa. Wish I had as much balls now as I did back then.

One of the worst wrestling related injuries I saw though was my mate Monkey falling off his bike when entering our little arena to Undertakers Rollin' theme. Shame he didnt make it to the match, he was so light we could literally throw him around like a rag doll.

Scott Steiner and Bobby Eaton have a lot to answer for with regards to the state of my back :-p ... Climbing whatever heights I could and diving with legdrops in addition to unwilling accomplices on attempted frankensteiners.... I remember one diving legdrop disaster off the school fence resulted in the PE teacher being rushed out to carry me into the girls swimming changing rooms where the first aid box was because I couldn't move anything from the neck down :-s . What on earth was in that first aid box that was so important that they had to move me in that position I have no recollection of. Ahhh 1991 how I miss ye.

• Paid Members
We had a fed called DBW (Dangerous Backyard Wrestling- really imaginative). The star studded roster consisted of 3 guys, Schoey- the power wrestler, Davo- the high flyer and Shane O- the technical wrestler. We once had a 45 minute triple threat recorded on tape that Schoey says he has, but won't give to us. It featured Davo going for a sunset flip powerbomb on Schoey from the top of a ladder, with the ladder giving way and both guys falling on their heads; a missed ladder Swanton by yours truly, sending myself through a table; me delivering a picture perfect snap neckbreaker on Schoey through the table remnants; and the finish, Davo getting double chokeslammed through a thorny rosebush.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago, good thing we didn't brain our damage.

And by tables I hope you mean some cardboard strategically placed between two chairs.

Me and my mates used to wrestle on my mates trampoline, once he did a swanton off the fence onto the trampoline, bounced off and broke his ankle on the concrete. It was pretty awesome.

When I used to wrestle my big brother in my bedroom, he had a distance size advantage. Mainly being about 6 foot 2 and 6 years older than me. The matches really were just my brother chucking me all over the place. He once pedigree'd mee off a bed onto the matress on the floor which is a pretty mental/retarded thing for a kid to do. His finisher on me was a pumphandle slam turned into a last ride-esque powerbomb. He always let me win though, I think it was his way of thanking me after dropping me on my head constantly for the previous 20 minutes.

• Paid Members

Incredibly stupid, and amazing how we didn't get hurt. We didn't have matches, we would just film table spots and other stupid bollocks. I have it all on DVD. Maybe I should send it to You've been framed.

• Paid Members

Living in the countryside, we used to have three way ladder matches which consisted of a bumbag clipped to the roof of the barn, and having to climb up the bales to retrieve it. Every single time someone got hurt, but I was particularly shit.

During the last couple of years of senior/high school, a few of the people on my level of school popularity, which was none at all, decided that we'd start running a 24/7 Hardcore Championship thing. One problem with this is that lads of that age are less than willing to agree to let you pin them and take their title, generally leading to a lot of serious 'piley on' incidents akin to when every fucker would try and lash Andre out of the ring during a Royal Rumble.

The first few minutes of this idea were pretty amusing, and getting to powerbomb people onto gym mats and stuff during PE class was far better than trying to either climb the climbing wall or having the tar kicked out of you during rugby. The biggest problem with all this though is that pretty soon the hard lads got onto the fact that all the 'mings' were willingly beating the shit out of each other for fun, and decided they wanted to get in on the wrestling action.

Us all being the weedy, the lame, the poor and the sick and them being the future hardened sex machine drug dealers most of us were naturally afraid to turn down their requests to allow them to try TKO's, Rock Bottom's and anything else they could think of. Numerous injuries later we gave up on the idea pretty quickly, and I have no idea about who wound up with the 'title' by the time we realised none of them were going to take a Michinoku Driver II

School playground days in the very early nineties for me. I have always been a pretty big lad and I delivered a pretty mean Earthquake splash.... so much soo that I took the wind out of a poor chinese lad called Alan and thought I had crushed his rib cage. I think I vaguely remember someone thinking they were Jim Duggan and ho-ing before trying to take me down with their 2 by 4.... which I think was a 1 by 2 piece of balsa wood.

Archived