Your Back Garden Wrestling Memories

Forrest

• Paid Members

I always loved it when people would turn it into a shoot and start smacking each other about.

Don't confuse pubescent anger with the real deal. Every ever toy wrestling match turned into a fight. It's not a shoot though, because it was far more gay.
Not these brawls, dear Butch. Some of those lads were never the same after they were done getting their heads caved in.Speaking of gays, one lad that was right into weird submissions came out as one of them a few years ago. Makes you think.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry this is a long one, Lots of memories here about the evoloution of our backyard fedsOne of my best mates dads has an allotment which when we were young we used to play in, his dad had a shed in there and a workbench etc, but the rest of it was kitted out with makeshift stuff for his sons, He made a den on top of some solid scaffold and made a zip line etc. He made swings and other stuff for us, it was basically a youth club were all his sons mates (and the people who used to use him for his allotment) would come and play etc.Back in around 1998 a lot of the lads were getting back into wrestling and naturally all being around 10-12 we all used to practice moves etc. One match that springs to mind is a battle royal which with us not having a ring involved people being put into a shed, so it was a lot more like a bastardised boiler room brawl. I remember the biggest lad there man handling the little ones then putting them in. i won by going behind him and pushing him in from behind thus making me the first champ. We made a belt out of lead at first and drew on it with felt tip. (i remember losing that belt in a "revenge" match a few days after the incident)After this we pretty much started taking this serious so we made a ring by putting four metal spikes in the ground and then tied 3 sets of that blue rope that is pretty sturdy around the sides. on the ground we made sure there wasnt any stones etc and put a large tarpaulin on the floor to be the "mat" Footage still remains i believe of an appauling battle royal we had in this one and a piss poor tripple threat match which involved using a step ladder for "high flying" moves.About a week after this the cogs in my mates dads brain started moving and he had an idea to build a "real" ring. So we went out with him one day and got a load of old cupbards and chests etc people were getting rid of and used them as the mat. his dad nailed them all together under a big piece of ply wood on the grass, ring poles we used these massive thick wooden spikes maybe 5 foot high and about a foot round we nailed bungee rope around these with the blue rope we had and used the delightful name of our fed "ACW allotment championship wrestling" I remember a few of us spending some time putting the initials in the wood with a philips screwdriver and a hammer a big ACW made out of the stars from it hahaha it was shitty looking back but at the time we loved it. next was to sort out proper belts his dad got hold of some weight lifter belts and we cut out cardboard and designed the four belts heavyweight ,intercontinental and tag. ( at first everyone wanted a belt and we had a silly amount every gimmick match had a title and some people ended up with 5 at a time so we ended up going back to the old formula)Around this time for a brief period we used the scaffold as a "cage" which in hindsight was pretty dangerous but it came up with an awesome gimmick match for us to sort out a real life grudge a concept called "locked in the allotment" basically the match started in the cage then spilled outside (good psychology eh?) and the once you got a pinfall you became eligible to go for the keys to the allotment. The match was won by the person escaping the allotment. Matches at first were decided by the people in them before hand the format of our shows had a 4 "tv tapings" and a "ppv" the crowd was made up of all the people "working" the show plus whoevers brothers cousins etc wanted to watch as well as the people that didnt want to be involved. We eventually got a "booker" to sort out problems and arguements and to progress ideas, The term booker can be used lightly as his job was as a person independant to the match he would flip a coin as to who won. We each had about 3 different characters with themes we had either taped off the radio, taped off wwe warzone or tapped off wcw tv shows . We each made shirts by going to ethel austins and getting packs of the white shirts and using felt tip on them. The guy who's dad owned the allotment had a couple of small motorbikes one which he rode to the ring under the highly original gimmick of "the terminator" I guess he predated bikertaker by a few years but it was really a DOA rip offEventually my mates dad halved the scaffold and he secured the ring to the top about 3 foot from the ground. ad we added a "commentry booth" with a pub bench his dad had. We also added a load of matresses to the mat to make it safer this made the action a little sluggier but meant we could pull off more stuff.I remember one time being chokeslammed "through a table" by my big cousin which was a plastic garden table with the legs took out of the sockets and rested next to the holes, I didnt go through it but it collapsed and winded me. I remember a big run in when one lad was about to win the title and the lad on commentry got on top of the desk and was screaming "this is an outrage to this sport" till his face went purple. Another gimmick was a first blood match. This had a plastic folding chair with a sandwich bag of tommy k taped to it. When it come blood time the gimmick was pulled out only it didnt pop so i remember one guy used his teeth to break the bag in the corner and appeared with a load of morrisons cheapest kechup smeared all down his mugThere was all kinds of matches going on and this lasted a good twelve month then when we got a bit older we discovered drink and used to sup cider and use the ring and matresses to have "shoot grappling " fights to see who was the strongest. Ahh the death of innocence

• Paid Members

This is slightly embarrassing!

in about 2006 me and two mates had been drinking a lot of beer and on the way home decided that we would have a hardcore triple threat! Well we couldn't find any girls so we decided to have a wrestling match instead.

So we went into a car park and had a very stupid match which then spilled into the street this was about 1 in the morning.

About 15 mins later a riot van, 6 cop cars and helicopter were in the area thinking a brawl was taking place!

after explaining that it was a 'wrestling match' and that we were sorry they let us off with a telling off!!

what a bunch of idiots they must have thought we were and they would have been right

the only noteworthy thing me and my mates did was when they superplexed me on to a shelving unit, I have no idea why we thought that was a good idea.

not wre4stling but we used to play a game called "down the hole", in my mates room there was a gap between the wall and the bed and we would basically play fight and stuff each other into the hole sort of like a royal rumble lol

• Paid Members

in about 2006 me and two mates had been drinking a lot of beer and on the way home decided that we would have a hardcore triple threat! Well we couldn't find any girls so we decided to have a wrestling match instead.

So we went into a car park and had a very stupid match which then spilled into the street this was about 1 in the morning.

About 15 mins later a riot van, 6 cop cars and helicopter were in the area thinking a brawl was taking place!

after explaining that it was a 'wrestling match' and that we were sorry they let us off with a telling off!!

what a bunch of idiots they must have thought we were and they would have been right

That would be slightly embarrassing, if it were true.

Don't talk shit you dribbling spastic.

• Paid Members
unfortunately Tommy it is true

No, No its not.

Lets break this down and see what we've got here

It is, but not for the reason you think it is.

Your trying to be funny and failing, but we shall over look this for now. I'm with you in part here, we have all done stupid things after a few.

I know I have. I think describing it as a wrestling match is pushing things though, but a small point.

I'm still sort of with you, I can push my self to this, I expect it to be stretched a bit but I'm still giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm assuming you are just chopping each other or loosely whipping each other into a lamp post pretesting its the turn buckle post or something but I'm still with you.

No, no no no no no. Don't talk such total shit. There was 3 of you, they wouldn't call out such force, at such cost, for three people.

Even if they did do that as standard practice, which they don't, they wouldn't do that for 3 bellends chopping each other on the way home form the pub.

You were pushing your luck with the way you were telling the story up to this point, this has blown it, and made what came before it seem even more bullshit ridden.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS. WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING WITH THIS LINE

They have called out "a riot van, 6 cop cars and helicopter", and all this is quashed with a quick "LOLZ sorry mate, I woz pretendin' to be Hulk Hogan and dat"

They have just assembled more fire power than they do for an armed fucking robbery for three tosspots and you talk your way out of it with "we were wrestling"

Questions would need to be asked, and if that much was brought out, which it fucking well wasn't, you would be behaving in such a way saying you were wrestling wouldn't cut mustard and you'd be down the nick.

You have pushed your luck with the police involvement and back yourself into a corner. I can see how you mind ticked over

"ROLF, that night me Barry and Steve went to the pub and I chopped him and he pretended to slam me was a laugh, that was so wild. I'll sound a right lad with that"

*type, type, type*

"hmm, sounds a bit dull. I'm not going to seem like much of a lad, I'll add a shit joke"

*type, type, type*

"Still needs more, the Police getting involved will sound good, but it will need to be huge or I'll seem small time"

*type, type, type*

"Now I'm in a corner, how did I escape. I could steal the helicopter and fly to Brazil? No, Neil might do an IP check and work out I'm full of shit. I'll talk my way out of it, that makes me sounds so cool"

*type, type, type*

"Hmm, its a bit far fetched, even I can see that, I'll add some self deprecation on the end, that will fool them all.

Well I don't know about the other two, but I'm convinced your an idiot.

If it's proven to be true I'll hold my hands up, but the case for you isn't looking to hot.

Speaking of gays, one lad that was right into weird submissions came out as one of them a few years ago. Makes you think.

I had this experience, I ran into a guy I used to wrestle with at school and he was camper than a field full of pink tents. :cry:

• Awards Moderator

Two events of note for me. The first one was at a uni house party in a big 8-person shared house. One of the landings about halfway up the house was full of cardboard and plastic boxes, and one mate of mine decided he was Sabu, so he was going to jump down the small flight of stairs above the landing, onto the boxes. This he did multiple times, dropping elbows and splashes on the boxes. Then he decides he needs to be slammed onto them, so enlists two other guys to hit him with an F-U into the boxes. One gets him onto their shoulders, while the other is there to flip the legs over for a nice neat slam. Only he does it with a bit too much force, and my mate goes crashing down neck first, Death Valley Driver style, through a plastic box, which shatters into shards, cutting his arm and head open in the process. I get the job of making sure he doesn't fall asleep with his probable concussion, and he stops pretending to be Sabu at that point.

Second event, same guy. Walking back from the pub, he decides he's like Sandman this time and demands to be thrown into a wire mesh fence that's in front of a house that's having work done. This my other friend does, Irish Whip after Irish Whip, HIAC style face scrapes, and an attempted chokeslam into the fence that doesn't really work. Every lamppost or postbox we meet results in similar treatment - Kobashi chops against the postbox were interesting, and the head-first-into-the-exposed-turnbuckle game with the lamppost equally so. They decide to stop playing after he hurls himself through a For Sale sign for reasons I don't recall.

• Paid Members

Incredibly stupid, and amazing how we didn't get hurt. We didn't have matches, we would just film table spots and other stupid bollocks. I have it all on DVD. Maybe I should send it to You've been framed.

Having all the episodes clock in at 3:16 is a neat touch. The flaming tables were a particular highlight.

Archived