Your Back Garden Wrestling Memories

Forrest

Inspired by the "wrestling is fake" thread, discuss your favourite memories of wrestling in your back garden or school playground. List your most horrific bumps, your most memorable moments and everything in between from the days when you put yourself in mortal danger because you were indestructible. My top 3 moments would be:

1. Top one has to be the time I was vertical suplexed through one of those horrifically rigid banana boxes you find lying about in supermarkets. To be honest, I wasn't too bad but the guy who done it to me caught the corner of the box and cut right down his back and was left with a gash that would have probably been worthy of a gif in Richie's colossal deathmatch thread.

2. When a kid in my neighbourhood hired a bouncy castle for their birthday, it was clearly a recipe for utter chaos. We invented Ultimate X about 6 months before TNA, using the big air tubes at the top of the castle in a pseudo-Ladder/Cage match. The heart-in-throat moment came when I Swanton Bombed someone off the top of the castle who countered it at the time with a corkscrew kick to the head. Safe to say, it nearly killed us.

3. I believe in the same match as the banana box madness, I was Stunnered and Chokeslammed off a ladder. He didn't hold back. Grass is not conductive to being chokeslammed.

Discuss your brother's shoddy workrate.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was handy at the perfect plex, the small package and the figure four leg lock. I also had a fat mate who could catch me and no sell my running cross body. I worked all those spots and nothing else into my back garden matches.

• Paid Members

Already mentioned in the other thread but one lunch always goes down in memory for me purely because of the amount of wrestling moves that were cracked out without any real reason or deliberately. Except for my shooting star. That went well.

However worst 'bump' would have to be after a conversation on wrestling with a few friend who knew I wanted to be a wrestler, somehow it got onto weapon shots and how much they hurt and then this:

Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the broken shard cutting my head open after. That was fun to explain, ended up going with the 'there was no wet floor sign and I slipped over miss'.

Just remembered when we were a bit older than the childhood examples giving above (circa 1992). During the attitude period when everyone was watching it I was at college and my mates and I used to try to randomly spear each other when we were least expecting it. One day I saw a great opportunity as one mate had another in a full nelson but was pressed against the common room wall. I launched at them to spear both into the wall and the lad being manhandled lifted his knees to protect himself splattering my nose with both knees. I really should have been concentrating on my A levels. Sorry if this is too far away from the back garden examples requested.

Well we used to have ladder matches in the back garden, put a plastic title belt on a tree branch and then use stepladders to climb and retreive the belt.

The worse injury was sustained by me when my brother spinning wheel/heel kicked me full force in the face and ended up having my nose pretty much explode. As it was a day where emergency rooms would be packed we decided to go to the pharmacy and see if they had any advice. Pretty much told us to keep my head back and mop up all the blood with tissues etc until it stopped bleeding and once it had stopped get a bag of ice or frozen peas on it. Also had to keep asking me my name to make sure I hadn't sustained a really bad concussion. My nose was an absolute mess for weeks after and it went from bad black eyes and a badly swelled and bruised nose to faded black eyes and a less swelled and bruised nose to a yellowish bruise over my nose and eyes. I think the whole injury caused my nose to grow or be slightly bigger as I grew up and to this day I still have random nosebleeds every once in a while and there's a scab in my nose around Summer which if I pick will turn into a huge nosebleed. Both I just presume are results of my back garden wrestling days.

I was once knocked out cold in school for a good few minutes after taking a chokeslam, it went wrong when the back of my head clipped the side of the wooden bench. Apparently it looked amazing so I was pretty happy with it. There was also this one time where I had recently watched a Hell In The Cell match (forget which) so we had one the next day in school during dinner time. There was this part of the playground which was a perfect square and had fencing on 3 sides and the other was a stone wall, perfect for the match! During it I was 'scraping' my mates head across the wall as they would on the match. He was screaming like fuck, I thought he was just playing all really well! Turns out I legit gashed his skull and he was pissing blood. He told the dinner lady he fell on a stone. Brilliant. There was also a scary moment where my mate put me in the Walls of Jericho and my other mate superkicked him, he fell backwards towards my head and didn't let go of my legs. Let's just say it hurt like FUCK! and I couldn't walk right for weeks. It's the same guy I gashed so I guess I deserved it :p

I have (very light now) permanent scarring the length of my stomach from a thwarted Randy Savage flying elbow drop. This happened when he was WWF champion, so it's lasted at least 20 years. I remember bleeding, and running. The psychology, looking back, was dreadful.

I once executed a german suplex on my brother and we broke the bed.

Some friends on my estate would meet up a couple of times a week to wrestle in the little park, we would use the swing area as the ring which would mainly consist of a huge battle royal, at least two of us who hug the swing frame and refuse to move until we were near the end and had a chance of winning. My brother once farted and we all eliminated ourselves. :laugh:

Me and a few mates used to go to Burnley and hire out a gym hall for a Saturday afternoon each week back in the late 90s. Two of the guys that came along were Hammerlock trainees and they used to 'show us the ropes.' We had no ring just some crash mats and a couple of big thick padded mats. We were big into ECW at the time so it was only a matter of time we got into weaponry and very often brought a selection of cheese graters, frying pans, computer keyboards etc along for the ride. It all stopped for me one day when I took a powerbomb but didn't sit up and ended up getting driven down on my head. I popped straight back up again but went down in a heap. It was a really scary time. I never went the hospital but couldn't turn my head properly for months. Luckily, it didn't seem to have any lasting effects only that I stopped doing the backyard gym fights.

My mate had slide doors to outside, so we'd pretend it was WCW Saturday Night when we came out. We had some classics, every single one ending with a surprise small package.

That's brilliant, my favourite story of this thread so far.

On the subject of weapons, biscuit tin lids were a big favourite of ours. Quite worrying when you think about all the stuff we know about headshots these days, but a load of fun.

We had a fed called DBW (Dangerous Backyard Wrestling- really imaginative). The star studded roster consisted of 3 guys, Schoey- the power wrestler, Davo- the high flyer and Shane O- the technical wrestler. We once had a 45 minute triple threat recorded on tape that Schoey says he has, but won't give to us. It featured Davo going for a sunset flip powerbomb on Schoey from the top of a ladder, with the ladder giving way and both guys falling on their heads; a missed ladder Swanton by yours truly, sending myself through a table; me delivering a picture perfect snap neckbreaker on Schoey through the table remnants; and the finish, Davo getting double chokeslammed through a thorny rosebush.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago, good thing we didn't brain our damage.

Archived