Raw Discussion *20th August*

d-d-d-dAz

So Flair should have continued to be totally skint because he lost in a worked fight with a retirement stip?

He's still skint after coming back and wrestling though. From what I read at the time Flair wasn't getting paid much more to wrestle in TNA than to stay contracted to WWE either, it's just that he couldn't keep himself out of the limelight.

If it came down to it and Flair could have genuinely helped himself out financially by getting in the ring then of course I wouldn't be against it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
From what I read at the time Flair wasn't getting paid much more to wrestle in TNA than to stay contracted to WWE either, it's just that he couldn't keep himself out of the limelight.

He was on a high six figure deal and unlike WWE was allowed to cut other money opportunities like autograph signings, the Charlotte Lottery deal and the Coca Cola deal he has. He went to TNA strictly for financial reasons.

And so what if he couldn't keep himself out of the limelight. Its a bit shit when wrestling fans judge wrestlers for them wanting our support and wanting to continue to perform for our enjoyment. Nobody is sticking the ball in the net or drilling home a conversion. Its fake wrestling done for our toothless, fat bellied enjoyment. If Flair and Michaels are addicted to the buzz, I'd prefer than over these marks who want to become wrestlers so they can stick their Mattel figure on a shelf and tell their mates they are fighters because they wear kickpads.

• Moderators

Would he have been able to make money on the Hulkamania tour and do a shitload of outside endorsements if he was still tied to WWE? I doubt he'd have got the Coca Cola deal then. If he did, he'd probably be shown the door for getting his own deals.

And so what if he couldn't keep himself out of the limelight. Its a bit shit when wrestling fans judge wrestlers for them wanting our support and wanting to continue to perform for our enjoyment.

That's fair enough but IMO they shouldn't agree to do high-profile retirement matches if that's the case. The retirement matches at Wrestlemania could have become a new tradition, as Flair and Michaels' farewell storylines were as good as any angle over the past few years.

air_raid puts it better than I can when referring to Shawn Michaels:

Moreover he bowed it with dignity, promising to never return and sully the stipulation and risk tarnishing his reputation (as, let's be honest, Ric Flair has) by coming back.

To paraphrase his farewell speech, he owes it to his fans, to the Undertaker and to himself to stay retired.

• Paid Members
That's fair enough but IMO they shouldn't agree to do high-profile retirement matches if that's the case. The retirement matches at Wrestlemania could have become a new tradition, as Flair and Michaels' farewell storylines were as good as any angle over the past few years.

Key word there is "angle". Both drew money and their speeches drew viewership. Job done. Thanks for your money.

To paraphrase his farewell speech, he owes it to his fans, to the Undertaker and to himself to stay retired.

He owes us fuck all. His back and knees are shot for providing us with entertainment. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants. Its not like he left a forum and kept returning under a different name, to reinvent peoples perception of him, is it? That would be terrible.

• Paid Members

I wish they'd write out Brock in a more imaginative way rather than the 'I quit now' crap that he's done twice in a few months. And, the fact that he did it on fucking Tout made it even more ridiculous

I'm on the fence with this retirement debate.

Thing is, if it was anybody else but HBK, fuck it, get them back to work. As Butch has said, if I like the guy, then it entertains me, and that's got to be my top priority as a wrestling fan.

However, with Shawn Michaels, it almost seems fitting that he never come back. For somebody with such an exceptional body of work, it only seems suitable that he be the best at retiring as well. For whatever reason, I also feel a bit of an emotional connection to his in-ring career reaching a natural end, even though wrestling's not real and it was all one big story. It's one of those things I enjoy believing, and it's yet another wrestling thing thrown away (IMO), if he chooses to return. I'm not doubting how fucking fantastic another match or storyline would be, but with Shawn, unlike anybody else, I think I want it less than I'd want an actual return.

As another if/but/maybe to this, I might feel different in ten years time, who knows? That's a long time, and in my mind, one more match as an anomaly after ten years out has way more specialness than a PPV return within two years of his big finale.

The only thing that could possibly interest me would be a Rock/Michaels match, but I really don't want to see HBK back in the ring. I've no doubts it'd be a great match, but HBK has really been ripping the piss with his constant appearances on Raw, that his retirement already been devalued already. I really wasn't a fan of having him back for WM 28, but he was brilliant as the ref, and the DX reunion at Raw 1000 was good to see. There's absolutely nothing else left for him to do and no reason for him to be there now. If he just took 9 months or something away from WWE, it'd make me feel much better about having him back, but I really don't want to see him again anymore.

I wish they'd write out Brock in a more imaginative way rather than the 'I quit now' crap that he's done twice in a few months. And, the fact that he did it on fucking Tout made it even more ridiculous

I totally agree, and the Tout post was so un-Brock like, he stated many times that he doesn't even own a computer...

• Paid Members
He owes us fuck all. His back and knees are shot for providing us with entertainment. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants.

True, but I'd just like Shawn to stick to the stip to show integrity. To be honest, it would also nice to imagine it's possible for a big name performer - any big name performer - to draw the line in the sand, walk away when they want to, and find happiness in a contented retirement. Austin's doing fairly well for himself, I'm under the impression Shawn is too.

However, with Shawn Michaels, it almost seems fitting that he never come back. For somebody with such an exceptional body of work, it only seems suitable that he be the best at retiring as well.

That's what I was going for. Leave the memories alone.

For whatever reason, I also feel a bit of an emotional connection to his in-ring career reaching a natural end, even though wrestling's not real and it was all one big story. It's one of those things I enjoy believing, and it's yet another wrestling thing thrown away (IMO), if he chooses to return. I'm not doubting how fucking fantastic another match or storyline would be, but with Shawn, unlike anybody else, I think I want it less than I'd want an actual return.

This too. When Mick Foley walked away at No Way Out 2000, it would have been a perfect ending, going out on his back in a suitably violent match. I didn't especially begrudge him doing a 'Mania main event either, as going out on top is always great. Years later I thought it was cheapening things when he came back, but his match with Orton at Backlash was a compelling match with a memorable ending where he put over a younger talent. It would have been a fine ending. Even after diluting what effect he could still have for a further two more years, Micks match with Edge at Mania XXII would have been a decent "last match", with a unique (in WWE) finish and again letting a younger top heel get the glory by beating him at his own game. But where does it end? If Foley now never wrestled again, would any of you even remember who his last match was against in, say, two years time?

And let's not forget, this isn't a glorified stuntman hanging on for another cheap pop. This is Shawn fucking Michaels. He was the greatest. He gave us everything he had, and what he's left behind is nigh on perfect. Leave it be.

I totally agree, and the Tout post was so un-Brock like, he stated many times that he doesn't even own a computer...

I'm sure he has a phone though.

• Paid Members

Nothing scunners me more than a bogus retirement stipulation. I remember taking my then girlfriend to see Meat Loaf about 10 years ago after watching him swear blind on Richard and Judy that this was his last ever tour, next week he'll be coming to us live from the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Then there's Flair with his broke ass on TNA. It's embarrassing, enough to tarnish a legacy.

The thing is though, for every Terry Funk, Meat Loaf and Ric Flair there's got to be somebody who can have one more match and not completely disgrace everything he's ever accomplished, surely?

I can understand why people are opposed to the idea, but I think we may be in the unfortunate mindset that it's impossible for a Wrestler to come out of retirement and for it to be well, you know, good. The fact that we're talking about it before anythings actually happened surely is a sign that there's more gas in the tank, and i'm not just talking about fumes. Why does it have to be that he's fleeced the fans and is coming back to sully his legacy? Can't it be the case that he comes back occasionally, brings the house down and does it tastefully? I can understand the notion that it's dishonorable to go back on your word and that it's important for his last match to be both hyped and memorable, but can it not be honorable to need to come back, providing it's done properly? It's not like he's going to be locking horns with Primo on Superstars. Done properly, I think there is room for a tasteful return from retirement.

Archived