Raw Discussion *20th August*

d-d-d-dAz

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i agree with that but the only problem is you'll only have 6 matches.

They could try to make the the matches longer and more interesting though.

During the Attitude Era they had loads of titles and still managed to make every single one interesting.

CM Punk is entirely right with what he's saying. The WWE Champion should be the focal point of the show, it's value and prestige has almost completely evaporated. And the horrendous, blingy incarnation of it needs to go asap!

• Paid Members
During the Attitude Era they had loads of titles and still managed to make every single one interesting.

Spoken like someone who wasnt watching at the time.

The belts have never meant fuck all, really. The people holding them are wants important. You can put the belt on whoever you want, it doesn't mean they can carry it. So unless the person holding it is worthy or having it, it doesn't matter where they are on the card.

Wouldn't Rock/Punk make more sense though? The build up could be tremendous, especially if Punk goes over The Rock.

I do think they should keep the match till Wrestlemania, but I agree if Punk goes over The Rock, it would do wonders for Punk and also show that WWE are willing to push the next gen guys over older talent. All they seem to do at the moment is bring older guys back and give them the spotlight over everyone else.

• Paid Members
Wouldn't Rock/Punk make more sense though? The build up could be tremendous, especially if Punk goes over The Rock.

I'd sooner have 2 wrestlers on the roster face each other after a build up that doesn't involve via satellite link ups. We've all said on here how little build up went on before Summerslam for most of the matches. Its all very half hearted from the creative team and they'll lose their audience. Have guest appearances for the odd PPV here and there, but not the main event, jees. They should be making more of the Punk/Bryan magic with a decent storyline and a couple of PPV matches, best of 7, steel cage, anything just not throwing Big Show and Cena in to make it stink.

• Moderators

Yeah, I mean in 1999 the secondary titles were booked really well weren't they? Memorable title changes that all made sense and kept the titles prestigious.

Yeah, I mean in 1999 the secondary titles were booked really well weren't they? Memorable title changes that all made sense and kept the titles prestigious.

Like Chyna beating Double J in an housekeeping match for the IC Title. Very Prestigious.

Indeed, didn't the tag belts change hands something like 15 times in 1999?

Anyway, on Raw, as usual, the show was fine for me because I watched what I wanted and didn't what I didn't. The Michaels promo made me think HBK/HHH is all of a sudden nailed on for Wrestlemania, even though I was always certain HBK was never ever coming back. We'll see, but as I heard it, that whole promo had HHH eventually smacking the fucking shit out of Michaels in a proper nasty fashion to build to a blow off.

Punk/Cena was absolutely brilliant, I thought. Cena talked them through the turnstiles in his response to Punk's request, that whole thing was fantastic and I think quite nicely sets the stage for NOC. The chemistry between these two is dynamite and I have no doubt they'll deliver an excellent match to justify wherever this build up goes. There's good symmetry (of a fashion) with the big MITB rematch (sort of, if you ignore Summerslam and the general actions of these two for about 3 months post-MITB last year) being in Cena's hometown instead of Punk's, and Punk needing the win even more than he did last time.

I have a feeling come the night the crowd will still be pro-Punk, which is a problem should Cena go over. But I dunno what they'll go for to be honest. There's good cases for both men to win the title at NOC, because as much as Punk carrying it all the way to January would be a nice run to have against his name, I think I prefer the idea of Cena having it now, them building to Cena/Rock 2 at the Rumble then Punk snatching it in December, ruining the dream rematch and shattering everybody's fun. If then, The Rock wins the title and Cena has to win the Rumble to get the match he was destined to have, you've got a pretty dramatic PPV right there.

It's got me on the hook for the events surrounding the WWE Title for the first time in god knows how long, so I'm happy.

• Paid Members

24.jpg

Add me to the list of people that don't want Shawn Michaels to return.

The Heartbreak Kid, as I've said many times before, is the finest performer to ever step between the ropes. Even though he was never among my personal favourites to watch when active, I cannot find fault with the argument that his sheer body of work in high profile matches is peerless. As a participater in ground-breaking angles, pioneer of match styles, competing in essentially TWO phenomenal careers either side of his injury, nobody has the back catalogue he has. Minor quibble aside of not being champion more when his talent deserved it in his "second run", he had a perfect career. Moreover he bowed it with dignity, promising to never return and sully the stipulation and risk tarnishing his reputation (as, let's be honest, Ric Flair has) by coming back.

To paraphrase his farewell speech, he owes it to his fans, to the Undertaker and to himself to stay retired.

Could the route being Punk/Lawler at NOC, with Cena facing Big Show in a number 1 contenders match on the same show?

God no. Night of Champions should stick to its gimmick of all titles on the line.

That's not the reason I was thinking for not having Punk vs Lawler in the main event, my reason is the obvious one:

Why have Punk defend the Title against Lawler in Cena's hometown when Cena is out on Raw saying he wants a Title match in his hometown. If anything it'll upset the hometown fans being Lawler getting the shot instead of Cena.

However, if it was anywhere else, I would absolutely love to see Punk and Lawler wrestle for the Title, we've seen Punk and Cena before and I absolutely love how the two can tell a story and make each other look great but I imagine Lawler and Punk have all of the potential to have an amazing match.

I would love Punk to beat Cena and then go on to face Lawler in a Title match but something would have to happen allowing Punk to move on from Cena but also to have Lawler be able to get a shot at the Title. Whereas the most obvious outcome where a Lawler vs Punk match could happen would be for Lawler to cost Punk the Title thus creating a feud and match between the two of them but then taking the Title match out of the picture which is a shame as I think a match between the two would be really good stuff but add the Title to it and Lawler's supposed last opportunity to get the big one and it would make for a brilliant match.

• Paid Members
If anything it'll upset the hometown fans being Lawler getting the shot instead of Cena.

I don't know. I wouldn't be shocked if Lawler gets a far better reaction than Cena in Boston. I remember he had a 50/50 split with the Boston crowd in February and it was big news because it was the first time they weren't throwing piss at him. I think Punk needs a wrestler who isn't an acquired taste with the live crowd at the minute. The worst thing for a heel turn is for the heel to be working against someone like Cena who has a portion of the crowd who hate him. Whether Lawler is the answer is another question, but for me he needs to stay away from Cena for at least the next PPV. I said this in chat, but I'd have Punk lose the belt to Cena soon (ideally it would have been at SummerSlam) and have Punk win it back at the December PPV. Have people thinking we will see Rock and Cena at the Rumble and then have Punk steal that match away from them at the last minute. Then have Cena win the Rumble and Rock win the belt off Punk.

Oh, as far as Punk's opponent at WrestleMania, Jeff Hardy's contract is up in February and there are strong rumours he isn't renewing. If he's available I'd be stunned if we didn't see Hardy vs Punk at Mania.

• Moderators

I reckon Lawler is a fine choice at this moment. EVERYONE loves The King, him and Punk would have an absolute belter, and it would solidify Punk as a heel. Also, I get a real hard dick for Jerry Lawler hope spots in his WWE main events. He'd be capable of making you think, even for a minute he can do it. I'd rather that than newly full blown heel Punk wrestles Cena in his own home town and half the people boo John Cena like they always do when he's in the North East, be it New York or his homelands of Massachussetts, making the heel turn not work as well as it could.

The Punk/Cena/Lawler segment was absolutely fantastic. Stuff like that just shows what wrestling can be when it is at its best. Punk and Cena just play off each other so, so well. Can't wait for Punk/Cena at Night of Champions and I'm sure we'll get a Punk/Lawler match in between too, which is something else that should be fun.

Good show overall, I thought. Enjoyed it. Heyman and Michaels both cut really good promos and there were a couple of good matches on there to boot.

Archived