Raw Discussion *20th August*

d-d-d-dAz

So, yeah, thought i'd kick this off early this week.

Mainly because it's been announced already that Brock will 'kick off Raw'. My initial assumption is that they'll do some interweaved narrative that concludes in the main event with Brock being written out again. People seem to be split on whether Brock's got one more PPV before 'Mania, or whether this is it till then. If the fun's over till 'Mania then i'd imagine we might get an Undertaker appearance tonight (still convinced Brock/Taker is where we're going) and, if not, then I imagine he'll quit for one reason or another.

Other than, I have the same feeling I always do before Raw these days. There are bits and pieces I look forward to but, in all, I just dread the 3 hour thing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've been reading that Michaels intends to wrestle again. By the looks of last night, there might be a Triple H vs Shawn Michaels match down the line. The way Triple H was walking to the back apologising seemed like he knew he'd fucked up in his strategy. First with the tension they had around WrestleMania and now this, there might be something longterm to this. Maybe Triple H will blame Michaels for getting involved in his feud with Lesnar and taking him off his game. Like Triple H had a game plan going into SummerSlam and Michaels sticking his nose in got Triple H to emotionally involved and took him out of his usual cerebral assassin demeanor.

Shawn apparently got cold feet before his match at WrestleMania 26 and thought about just cutting his schedule and doing one or two matches a year. Maybe in all his time off, matches against The Rock, Triple H and a threeway with HHH and The Undertaker might be to tempting for him to stay in retirement.

I fully expect these things to happen:

1. Brock and Heyman come out and the final statement is that Brock's going to sit home until he is granted a WWE Title shot. AJ refuses to cave into the demands because there are other people who have claims for a shot before Brock.

2. Cena and Big Show face off with the winner facing Punk at Night of Champions. Cena wins to get the title shot in his 'hometown'.

3. HBK comes out and tells HHH he lost a step and has to hang it up, prompting HHH to beat the snot out of him. Leading to a Mania match. They could drag the reasoning behind the attack out a few weeks with Hunter saying it was all 'heat of the moment' stuff before then doing it for real but I've no confidence in the writing team to add any depth to it.

I'd prefer not to see Michaels come out of retirement but I suppose that's part and parcel of a wrestling retirement. I love Shawn, don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer it if his final match was against The Undertaker. To a lesser extent I can still believe Flair's retirement was honoured as he's not wrestled in WWE since.

I actually do not want to see either HHH or Shawn in the arena tonight on Raw to sell the fact that Brock Lesnar broke Shawn's arm last week and gave HHH a doing last night at Summerslam.

More Ziggler, more Miz and more Prime Time Playas to make millions and millions and billions of dollars!

• Paid Members
Hunter's broken his arm, so says WWE. I think he'll be gone for a while.

It'll heal just in time for the Royal Rumble/Survivor Series/Wrestlemania and another comeback main event.

• Paid Members

I really hope Michaels isn't coming back. His fucking pantomime selling when Lesnar had the kimura on just ruined Lesnar's whole aura for me. I really had high hopes that when he retired, Michaels wouldn't hang around to ham up stuff I'd otherwise probably enjoy. I just really, really want him to go away and stay away. Stick Brock in with anyone else. Anyone. I'd take Santino, even.

Shawn apparently got cold feet before his match at WrestleMania 26 and thought about just cutting his schedule and doing one or two matches a year. Maybe in all his time off, matches against The Rock, Triple H and a threeway with HHH and The Undertaker might be to tempting for him to stay in retirement.

I very rarely watch any WWE at this point (more out of theh abit than anything) but a Rock/HBK feud is one of the very few things that I could see getting me to tune in again. On the other hand HBK vs. HHH, HBK vs. HHH vs. Taker and Taker vs. Brock are combinations that wouldn't get me to tune in at all. I can't see any of them topping the previous entries (or the seperate single matches in the case of the triple threat).

CM Punk and Cena should only ever feud with one another. There's just something about their dynamic that works. In many ways, it's a similar deal to Edge/Cena in that they bring the best out in each other.

My head will explode if Cena wins the title thanks to Lawler interference, though. I want Punk/Rock at the Rumble.

But, yeah, great closing segment. Perfect.

I'm fully on Punks side, though. It shouldn't be that difficult to believe the WWE champion is currently the best in the world, it should be a prerequisite. Between that, Cole pointing out how he's not main evened a PPV since December last year and King saying he's a lot easier to beat than Cena I think he's got the moral high ground. They've clearly intended it that way, and it's an interesting ride right now,

Just as Jericho hits something resembling form he fucks off. Prick.

Herman was excellent. 'Brocktagon' was not.

I'm fully on Punks side, though. It shouldn't be that difficult to believe the WWE champion is currently the best in the world, it should be a prerequisite. Between that, Cole pointing out how he's not main evened a PPV since December last year and King saying he's a lot easier to beat than Cena I think he's got the moral high ground. They've clearly intended it that way, and it's an interesting ride right now.

If CM Punk was the best in the world he would be on last at Raws and PPVs. If he was the best in the world he wouldn't have to go around demanding that people tell him so. He hasn't had to compete in the ring with The Rock and Brock Lesnar during his title run, or ever. The moral high ground is usually with the likes of John Cena and Jerry Lawler and it's not any different here.

As for Raw's best moments last night - Del Rio slapping himself in the face while walking to the ring then saying "Ow!", and Michael Cole expressing surprise that Layla was still awake during the Diva battle royal.

All I see from RAW at the moment is shades of grey. It's like they're trying to recreate the Attitude era ethos of letting the fans cheer for who they want without actually investing in the character depth that the guys of 99 possessed. They just have people coming out and doing random things week-in-week-out.

Strange that they turn Punk heel just prior to his DVD coming out. I would have also loved to have seen him as an underdog babyface against Lesnar. Where the storyline would plant the seeds for the heel turn. Commentators putting over how CM punk is obsessed with being champion etc.

Archived