Raw Discussion *20th August*

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Oh, as far as Punk's opponent at WrestleMania, Jeff Hardy's contract is up in February and there are strong rumours he isn't renewing. If he's available I'd be stunned if we didn't see Hardy vs Punk at Mania.

:thumbsup: I'd seriously consider trying to get tickets if that were to happen, even if I can't afford it. A brilliant feud and ended far too soon sadly.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Add me to the list of people that don't want Shawn Michaels to return.

The Heartbreak Kid, as I've said many times before, is the finest performer to ever step between the ropes. Even though he was never among my personal favourites to watch when active, I cannot find fault with the argument that his sheer body of work in high profile matches is peerless. As a participater in ground-breaking angles, pioneer of match styles, competing in essentially TWO phenomenal careers either side of his injury, nobody has the back catalogue he has. Minor quibble aside of not being champion more when his talent deserved it in his "second run", he had a perfect career. Moreover he bowed it with dignity, promising to never return and sully the stipulation and risk tarnishing his reputation (as, let's be honest, Ric Flair has) by coming back.

To paraphrase his farewell speech, he owes it to his fans, to the Undertaker and to himself to stay retired.

I get what you're saying but could you really say no to Rock vs. HBK? I mean yeah, HBK coming back to face Trips would be a bit shit, but if he was to come back and face the Great One would you say the same thing?

Am I the only person who thinks rock/hbk wouldn't be that great a match? Could see it being like the perfect/hbk series that just didn't click.

• Paid Members
Punk/Cena was absolutely brilliant, I thought. Cena talked them through the turnstiles in his response to Punk's request, that whole thing was fantastic and I think quite nicely sets the stage for NOC. The chemistry between these two is dynamite and I have no doubt they'll deliver an excellent match to justify wherever this build up goes. There's good symmetry (of a fashion) with the big MITB rematch (sort of, if you ignore Summerslam and the general actions of these two for about 3 months post-MITB last year) being in Cena's hometown instead of Punk's, and Punk needing the win even more than he did last time.

Yup, this. Cena was absolutely magnificent in that last segment.

The treatment and handling of Ziggler is utterly baffling.

• Paid Members

Sheamus is going to be the next big babyface on Raw. Sheamus is perfect for WWE. He's so good with the media, he's always smartly dressed, he's Irish (which is always good in the US) and people in the crowd just love him. He's goofy as fuck as well, which is endearing. Mams, Dads and kids think he's a good bloke. So they are probably just portraying Ziggler as a massive loser so when he eventually beats Sheamus, its a massive fluke by a nobody and Sheamus doesn't suffer for it. So you get all the pieces in place. Sheamus can go for the WWE belt and Jericho can return a hero and beat Ziggler for the World belt.

I'd be pretty stunned if Sheamus doesn't lay him out after he loses it to be fair. Whenever Sheamus loses or is double crossed he always seems to get his heat back straight away. He always seems to do someone with that running kick. Sheamus must have a pal in a high position, because he's pushed super hard. Good for him as well.

• Paid Members

First item on the agenda - Kofi and R-Truth "having fun" with the Brawling Buddies. Wrestling is peppered with off-putting shite like this, but for some reason last nights debacle really got to me. It's garbage like this that prevents you from having friends round. While i'm on the subject of boring promotional bird guff that's being rammed down our throats, isn't it a treat to hear what "Pauly D" and Khloe Kardashian have to say?

The anger management tag match was a great idea I thought, I do wonder what's to become of Kane though.

Good to see Otunga back, I think this guys got real depth. I can see Big Show having nobody to wrestle at NOC though.

Whos face is it that Brodus Clay is putting a smile on exactly? I can just about stomach his character, but everything he does looks woefully sloppy. Compare that with Sandow who hasn't missed a step since his arrival. I've really enjoyed Sandows intensity and credit to him for not making me fast forward a Brodus Clay match for once.

I thought I might have been done with Cena/Punk, but this is shaping up to be one of Wrestlings all time great rivalries. A gripping end to the program and the dialogue in the promo was actually meaningful. I think Lawlers just there to sell the character change as he's a solid good guy anchor to establish where Punks at . As others have said, he doesn't split the audience like Cena so it helps us figure out what direction punks heading in, which atm might be difficult to tell if Lawler wasn't involved.

Shame Jerichos splitting. Winning the "big one" as an ageing face had some mileage in it.

I'd probably like the divas a lot better if all their entrance music didnt sound like a track from Dance Dance Revolution.

All in all, I enjoyed the show and i'm actually looking forward to next week.

The Heartbreak Kid, as I've said many times before, is the finest performer to ever step between the ropes. Even though he was never among my personal favourites to watch when active, I cannot find fault with the argument that his sheer body of work in high profile matches is peerless. As a participater in ground-breaking angles, pioneer of match styles, competing in essentially TWO phenomenal careers either side of his injury, nobody has the back catalogue he has. Minor quibble aside of not being champion more when his talent deserved it in his "second run", he had a perfect career. Moreover he bowed it with dignity, promising to never return and sully the stipulation and risk tarnishing his reputation (as, let's be honest, Ric Flair has) by coming back.

To paraphrase his farewell speech, he owes it to his fans, to the Undertaker and to himself to stay retired.

That's as fine a post as I've read on a wrestling forum.

I completely disagree with the people saying how good it would be for him to return for a three-way against Triple H and The Undertaker or a singles match against The Rock.

I'm not going to add anything to air_raid's post as there's nothing more to be said but a 'dream match' between Shawn and The Rock should be left as just that - a "dream match". The same as Stone Cold against CM Punk or Bret Hart against Kurt Angle should remain as dream matches. Michaels, Flair and whoever else is given the privilege of a 'mega sendoff' at Wrestlemania should honour them, as any eventual comeback match or run will only fall short of expectations and ruin the value of future retirement matches anyway.

• Paid Members
Michaels, Flair and whoever else is given the privilege of a 'mega sendoff' at Wrestlemania should honour them, as any eventual comeback match or run will only fall short of expectations and ruin the value of future retirement matches anyway.

Fuck expectations. Wrestling is about drawing money and the majority of fans would love to see Steve Austin back wrestling. Also wrestling retirements have no value anyway. Nobody believes Michaels is retired anyway. Wrestlers shouldn't retire. Its not real. Wrestling retirements should be breaks to advance storylines and place anticipation for their returns. If anyone wants to retire, it should be people nobody gives a shit about.

• Moderators

Spot on. If people want to come back, and they can still go and it'll draw a house and it'll be awesome, then why the fuck not? I couldn't give two shits if they went out at Wrestlemania, it's all a work anyway. Ricky Steamboat was away for about 16 years and he still looked great. I'm sure HBK will after only 2 years off.

Michaels, Flair and whoever else is given the privilege of a 'mega sendoff' at Wrestlemania should honour them, as any eventual comeback match or run will only fall short of expectations and ruin the value of future retirement matches anyway.

Fuck expectations. Wrestling is about drawing money and the majority of fans would love to see Steve Austin back wrestling. Also wrestling retirements have no value anyway. Nobody believes Michaels is retired anyway. Wrestlers shouldn't retire. Its not real. Wrestling retirements should be breaks to advance storylines and place anticipation for their returns. If anyone wants to retire, it should be people nobody gives a shit about.

I can't agree with you there, mate. Look at Bret Hart's return a couple of years back and how much of a disaster that was. Austin was a wreck when he left ten years ago and I think he's recently had another big operation on his knee. Besides, it's 2012 and if you've got Rock, Lesnar, Cena etc on your card then is Stone Cold really going to make that much difference?

• Moderators

It would for me watching. And isn't what I enjoy what really matters when I watch wrestling? I couldn't give too much of a fuck for Lesnar, never really have, but Austin on there? Yes please.

You say Bret Hart's return, and that wasn't great (although picked up towards the end when people realised they should just bump like pinballs for him), but Finlay's and Steamboat's comebacks really disagree with you.

It would for me watching. And isn't what I enjoy what really matters when I watch wrestling? I couldn't give too much of a fuck for Lesnar, never really have, but Austin on there? Yes please.

You say Bret Hart's return, and that wasn't great (although picked up towards the end when people realised they should just bump like pinballs for him), but Finlay's and Steamboat's comebacks really disagree with you.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. It's not that I don't understand yours or Ian's logic's, it's just that IMO the super-high-profile (Flair, Michaels) retirements should be honoured.

• Paid Members
Look at Bret Hart's return a couple of years back and how much of a disaster that was.

Yeah, just ignore the fact he had a major stroke and couldn't move his left arm for a good year, or that he wasn't even allowed to sell for fear of being sued by his insurance policy.

If two years before Bret Hart returned he was the best performer in wrestling, then I'd agree it would have been a disaster. But unlike Shawn Michaels, he wasn't. But Shawn Michaels is still the man judging by his performance at WrestleMania this year, and Steve Austin has been a regular on TV for the last decade. Comparing them to Bret Hart is an irrelevant point. He was a stroke victim they had to protect heavily.

Archived