The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

1 hour ago, David said:

That's not what matters most though, is it? What's the point of a division full of tiny women that no one really cares about? I bet if you ask the UFC what they'd rather have, a 10 fighter atomweight division or a division that's built around the wrecking ball that is Cyborg fighting against various decent names who are willing to jump up to face her, they'll pick the latter. Every single time.

Fuck, there's a lot of fights in actual proper, established male weight classes that most fans don't give a toss about. The answer isn't to load up on smaller weight classes, it's to get the current ones in order and start building some credible stars.

Sure. If you work for UFC or care about their financial bottom line. Outside of hoping they don't fold, though, I don't. From a purely sporting perspective - from someone who watches every UFC event regardless of who's on it - if there enough people out there to properly populate a division, I will be happy to find out who's the best and what their skills are.

And I don't think new divisions inhibit star-making really. All of UFC's divisions ebb and flow when it comes to quality and competitiveness, and it's hard to know who will emerge as stars. Dana himself didn't think women's MMA would draw, but then there was Ronda. I doubt too many people expected featherweight to provide huge box office draw, but then there was Conor. MMA's such an inherently unpredictable sport, "getting your current divisions in order and building credible stars" is much easier said than done. Stars you pin your hopes on get injured, upset or insanely self-destructive, so it makes a certain sense to spread the load. Maybe somewhere along the line a star is once again born from an unlikely place, but even if it isn't, I'd generally be happier to see a #1 vs. #3 ranked women's 105lb fight on a card than two unranked, no-name male middleweights.

That all said, I understand your point of view, but it's just not where I am as a fan. A competitive division of smaller women would do more for me than anything I've seen from Cyborg.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angala Lee who is half South Korean & half Singaporean who grew up in Canada is very marketable in Asia and is the One champion, she's their 110 lb champion as they don't let their fighters do extreme weight cuts, so their divisions have changed since some guy died cutting weight for them, Askren fights at 176lbs for example.

The big problem the UFC would have is barely anyone leaves One and most of their champions train at Evolve MMA in Singapore, so the UFC would have to offer big money when she becomes a free agent. Lee is 5ft 4, she's skinny and not that tall but that's less of a deal breaker than it would be for Males. Even some pics of Rousey she has big muscular arms, that isn't very attractive to me anyway.

15 hours ago, textonly said:

Sure. If you work for UFC or care about their financial bottom line. Outside of hoping they don't fold, though, I don't. From a purely sporting perspective - from someone who watches every UFC event regardless of who's on it - if there enough people out there to properly populate a division, I will be happy to find out who's the best and what their skills are.

And I don't think new divisions inhibit star-making really. All of UFC's divisions ebb and flow when it comes to quality and competitiveness, and it's hard to know who will emerge as stars. Dana himself didn't think women's MMA would draw, but then there was Ronda. I doubt too many people expected featherweight to provide huge box office draw, but then there was Conor. MMA's such an inherently unpredictable sport, "getting your current divisions in order and building credible stars" is much easier said than done. Stars you pin your hopes on get injured, upset or insanely self-destructive, so it makes a certain sense to spread the load. Maybe somewhere along the line a star is once again born from an unlikely place, but even if it isn't, I'd generally be happier to see a #1 vs. #3 ranked women's 105lb fight on a card than two unranked, no-name male middleweights.

That all said, I understand your point of view, but it's just not where I am as a fan. A competitive division of smaller women would do more for me than anything I've seen from Cyborg.

Don't get me wrong, personally I wouldn't grudge the idea of more divisions, but normally when I come at things from that angle I'm swiftly educated on how ~da biz~ works, so I stopped posting from a sporting perspective ages ago.

In my opinion, the more fighters we see getting their shot in the UFC the better, as it means more prospects getting to perform in front of decent audiences, it makes those fights more easily accessible to fans, and it means more fighters being paid. I don't watch every fight nowadays, but that's because there's just so many fucking fights on now. Not complaining, if I was younger and had the time I'd likely watch them all.

PPV ratings and eyeballs on TV screens are usually the order the day when it comes to discussion, despite, as you say, it having absolutely fuck all impact on the fans who watch the fights. How wealthy Dana and other white dudes in suits get is neither here nor there to me, but it seems to matter to a lot of people.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:25 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Don't know which show it'll be but the new sports channel FreeSports (channel 424 on Sky) has One FC listed for Saturday night at 11:30pm. 

It was the latest show, ONE Championship: Shanghai, that took place earlier in the day. It was fun to watch; five of the nine fights ended in the first round, so the action flew by. Interestingly, there were no commercial breaks at all.

• Paid Members

Any word on what the main event for the UFC show in Poland is going to be? I mean, it's on October 21st and this is all I can find for the card so far...

Trevor Smith vs Ramazan Emeev 

Jonathan Wilson vs Oskar Piechota

Dmitrii Smoliakov vs Adam Wieczorek 

Jan Blachowicz vs Devin Clark 

Marcin Held vs Teemu Packalen 

Damian Stasiak vs Brian Kelleher 

Artem Lobov vs Andre Fili

I know they were planning that Thiago Santos-Materla fight that got all fucked up and Materla resigned with KSW. But has there been any word on what else they might be lining up? 

I ask because I've got a mate who's got family in Gdansk and he'll be over there when this is on. He's on the fence about trying to get tickets. 

Edit - Also, on the subject of Polish MMA affairs, when is Joanna Jedrzejczyk next fighting? Is the Namajunas fight official yet? 

46 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Any word on what the main event for the UFC show in Poland is going to be? I mean, it's on October 21st and this is all I can find for the card so far...

Trevor Smith vs Ramazan Emeev 

Jonathan Wilson vs Oskar Piechota

Dmitrii Smoliakov vs Adam Wieczorek 

Jan Blachowicz vs Devin Clark 

Marcin Held vs Teemu Packalen 

Damian Stasiak vs Brian Kelleher 

Artem Lobov vs Andre Fili

I know they were planning that Thiago Santos-Materla fight that got all fucked up and Materla resigned with KSW. But has there been any word on what else they might be lining up? 

I ask because I've got a mate who's got family in Gdansk and he'll be over there when this is on. He's on the fence about trying to get tickets. 

Edit - Also, on the subject of Polish MMA affairs, when is Joanna Jedrzejczyk next fighting? Is the Namajunas fight official yet? 

I'm sure I read somewhere they wanted Karolina Kowalkiewicz against someone to headline the card, maybe Michelle Waterson. 

You'd assume Joanna is wanting to get on one of the bigger cards 217 or 219. 

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting Joanna to be on the Poland card. I'm expecting Joanna vs Rose and Holloway vs Edgar to be announced soon for any of the 217/218/219 PPVs. 

Kowalkiewicz would make sense for Poland, yeah. And I'd be well up for her vs Waterson now you mention it. I hope that's what happens. 

• Paid Members

Be interesting to see how the Poland show goes considering how big KSW is in Poland. Materla turning down a headlining spot in his first UFC fight to re-sign with KSW proves that those guys ain't fucking about.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Be interesting to see how the Poland show goes considering how big KSW is in Poland. Materla turning down a headlining spot in his first UFC fight to re-sign with KSW proves that those guys ain't fucking about.

Don't KSW have the highest attended show in Europe or am I imagining that?

• Paid Members

Yeah, KSW throw the dough about. I'm surprised the UFC haven't gone to Poland more actually. There's obviously an appetite for MMA there, KSW are thriving, plus the UFC have a more and more Polish fighters coming through, and a Polish world champion in Joanna. Yet they've only been there once (if I'm remembering right?) with the Cro Cop vs Gonzaga 2 show. And that was 2015. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Don't KSW have the highest attended show in Europe or am I imagining that?

yeh its true, 55,000+ for a stadium show. 

The promotion is like a Polish version of Pride, all sorts of random matchmaking, celebrities fighting, UFC cast-off's, strongmen as well as Poland's best MMA fighters. 

Just found out KSW's next show is actually in Dublin, 22nd October.

Archived