The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I’ll be watching every week, mostly because, even though the TUF format is stale, an all-woman cast is still enough of a novelty to make it interesting. There will be a few of the women I’ll be invested in watching, specifically Roxanne Modafferi and Sijara Eubanks, but for the most part, it’s the novelty that’s drawing me in with any drama an added bonus.

After this season of TUF, unless they repeat the format for a women’s atomweight title, and I would like to see an atomweight weight class in the UFC, I wouldn’t mind if TUF was consigned to history. The format is stale and Dana White’s Contender Series renders TUF pointless because they’re both presenting the same concept.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Don't know which show it'll be but the new sports channel FreeSports (channel 424 on Sky) has One FC listed for Saturday night at 11:30pm. 

One have a show tomorrow, so I'm going to try and avoid spoilers just in case that's what they're showing.

In what is hopefully part of his continued rise back up to the top level of officiating, Josh Rosenthal worked the Invicta FC show last night. Rosenthal  was one of the better officials out there and it would be great to see him working UFC shows.

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Don't know which show it'll be but the new sports channel FreeSports (channel 424 on Sky) has One FC listed for Saturday night at 11:30pm. 

That's the one that isn't available on Virgin, isn't it?  Motherfucker! Would have liked to have watched that.

File another one under the 'this wouldn't happen on Joe Silva's watch' banner;

A few days ago, MMA Junkie, by way of a UFC official, confirmed Michal Materla vs. Thiago Santos for the UFC's Fight Night show in Poland on October 21st. It was also stated that the fight may well be the main event. But it turns out that Materla had only verbally agreed to sign with the UFC, because Globo.com have confirmerd that Materla has opted to re-sign with KSW instead and won't be going anywhere.

On 30/08/2017 at 8:48 PM, Noah Southworth said:

I’ll be watching every week, mostly because, even though the TUF format is stale, an all-woman cast is still enough of a novelty to make it interesting. There will be a few of the women I’ll be invested in watching, specifically Roxanne Modafferi and Sijara Eubanks, but for the most part, it’s the novelty that’s drawing me in with any drama an added bonus.

After this season of TUF, unless they repeat the format for a women’s atomweight title, and I would like to see an atomweight weight class in the UFC, I wouldn’t mind if TUF was consigned to history. The format is stale and Dana White’s Contender Series renders TUF pointless because they’re both presenting the same concept.

I actually watched the last season and generally enjoyed it. Think the one before was Rousey and Tate.  I find the shenanigans in the house and elsewhere generally entertaining and in most cases skip the fights until the little wrap up highlight they do of it at the end.

I know that's the main reason were supposed to watch but hey how.

OFF TOPIC : how do you embed a video in your signature? 

On 30/08/2017 at 8:48 PM, Noah Southworth said:

After this season of TUF, unless they repeat the format for a women’s atomweight title, and I would like to see an atomweight weight class in the UFC, I wouldn’t mind if TUF was consigned to history. 

Yeah, I'm sure the execs at FOX would be rubbing their hands together in glee at the notion of the ratings blockbuster that is the atomweight division. A bunch of no-name 95lb women who aren't tall enough to get on most fairground rides. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

cant think of anything id like to see less in the UFC than a female atom weight division.

A UFC Women's Featherweight division for me still. I mean, I could be wrong about this because I don't keep up too much with women's MMA outside the UFC, but I would have thought there are more fighters out there to  compete in that bracket than there seems to be in the 145lb one. That's what matters most surely. UFC's site shows 43 women in Strawweight, 34 in Bantamweight and 3 in Featherweight. If even 5-10 of the Strawweights drop down to Atom along with whoever's on the TUF season, you instantly have an actual division. Featherweight is just a smoke and mirrors show to accommodate one woman.

Point being, as long as there are fighters to inhabit and create a proper, competitive division, it's welcome in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, textonly said:

A UFC Women's Featherweight division for me still. I mean, I could be wrong about this because I don't keep up too much with women's MMA outside the UFC, but I would have thought there are more fighters out there to  compete in that bracket than there seems to be in the 145lb one. That's what matters most surely. UFC's site shows 43 women in Strawweight, 34 in Bantamweight and 3 in Featherweight. If even 5-10 of the Strawweights drop down to Atom along with whoever's on the TUF season, you instantly have an actual division. Featherweight is just a smoke and mirrors show to accommodate one woman.

Point being, as long as there are fighters to inhabit and create a proper, competitive division, it's welcome in my eyes.

That's not what matters most though, is it? What's the point of a division full of tiny women that no one really cares about? I bet if you ask the UFC what they'd rather have, a 10 fighter atomweight division or a division that's built around the wrecking ball that is Cyborg fighting against various decent names who are willing to jump up to face her, they'll pick the latter. Every single time.

Fuck, there's a lot of fights in actual proper, established male weight classes that most fans don't give a toss about. The answer isn't to load up on smaller weight classes, it's to get the current ones in order and start building some credible stars.

• Paid Members

it probably sounds incredibly sexist to say but women's MMA just doesn't interest me, initially it had a novelty factor, especially pre-UFC but that's gone now. Outside of a few of the star names and the title fights i literally fast forward every women's fight,  it just doesn't do anything for me. 

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

it probably sounds incredibly sexist to say but women's MMA just doesn't interest me, initially it had a novelty factor, especially pre-UFC but that's gone now. Outside of a few of the star names and the title fights i literally fast forward every women's fight,  it just doesn't do anything for me. 

I don't think it's sexist Ebb, it's probably more a case of us being given a shitload of fights on a monthly basis. I find myself doing the same thing with prelims etc, when in the past I watched them all. 

It's not unusual for me to find myself sitting with a backlog of events to get through, and I simply don't have the time to watch some fights, be it 100lb women or some no-name chump on a FightPass undercard.

43 minutes ago, textonly said:

There are some very good atomweight fighters outside the UFC, and enough fighters overall to make for a solid division, especially if you thrown in the women currently in the UFC’s strawweight division who are undersized. Michelle Waterson is the best example in that regard, as she’s small for a strawweight and is much better suited for an atomweight division. She’s also good enough and got the charisma and personality that she could be someone you could build the division around.

The problem is that a lot of that outside talent is either in Invicta FC or in Japan. I don’t believe the UFC want to gut Invicta of their atomweight talent when they’ve only just taken most of their flyweight talent, and it wasn’t that long ago that they took their best bantamweight and strawweight talent as well. And I don’t see the UFC taking to take too many of the Japanese fighters, even if they could get them.

The talent is there for a viable women’s atomweight division right now. And if the UFC can create a women’s featherweight division that consists of the champion and whatever undersized challenger they can scrounge up that month, they could certainly run an atomweight division with a small talent pool if they wanted to get it going right now. But I think it more likely that the UFC women’s atomweight division, and I don’t doubt there will be one at some point, is only going to happen when they feel they can take the best atomweight talent from Invicta FC without leaving them devoid of all their talented fighters.

Archived