The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fightography on Cat Zingano has been put on Fight Pass and it is fantastic, the kind of thing that could make her a huge babyface if a big enough audience saw it. Cat talks about how she was scheduled to face Amanda Nunes in Strikeforce but the fight got postponed when the UFC bought Strikeforce, and when the fight was rescheduled a short time later for an Invicta FC show, Nunes refused to fight on the new date.

Cat also talks in great detail about Bryan Caraway, Miesha Tate’s boyfriend, hitting her just before the weigh-in for Zingano’s fight with Tate. When you hear about this, and what Miesha pulled in their fight, it really tells you what kind people Tate and Caraway are.

When Cat talks about her knee injury (torn ACL, MCL and PCL), she says that the UFC told her to stay away from the gym and essentially hole up and act like nothing was wrong so that they could keep it under wraps that Miesha Tate would be coaching on TUF instead of Cat.

Cat also reveals that prior to UFC 168 she was told she was getting the winner of Ronda vs. Miesha Tate, and was at the post-show press conference to set it up. So when Dana pulled out the poster for Ronda vs. Sara McMann, everyone at the press conference turned look at Cat because they knew Cat was there to set up her fight with Rousey, with Cat having no idea that McMann was getting the winner instead.

Obviously, Cat talks about the suicide of her husband and she mentions he had problems with ‘substances’, and even though it’s only for a few minutes, it’s the real heart and soul of the piece. If you have Fight Pass, you should watch this, and if you don’t, you should find a way to watch it.

9 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

As per MMAUno, the UFC are working on Donald Cerrone vs Darren Till as the main event.

If that comes through, that's a heck of a step up for Till to make.

Madness that with the no. of Polish stars coming through the ranks in the UFC that they wouldn't go with one of them to try to increase their star power. 

• Paid Members

@OzExile Might be worth spoiler tagging that, mate. Doesn't bother me personally, but I can see others kicking off if they've not seen it yet. I suppose if you were avoiding spoilers for wrestling (no matter how minor) you're not expecting to see them in an MMA thread, even if it is relevant.

Gdansk main event is Cerrone vs Darren Till. Cerrone said he's never heard of Till, so I'm glad I'm not alone in that. 

The European cards they're putting on at the moment are horrendous. I didn't think they could do worse than the recent Glasgow card but then that rotten Rotterdam show at the weekend surpassed it. Gdansk looks like it's going the same way. 

People need to make a point of not buying tickets for this dross, the UFC need to get the message that they can't just clean up financially on the company name alone. 

9 hours ago, OzExile said:

Sure most are aware but there was an angle on the Mae Young Classic seeting up Ronda Rousey's WWE debut match / feud.  Assume they will wait until Mania for this unless she's going to do some sort of a run? 

Logical thought would be to do The Horsewomen v MMA Horsewomen at Survivor Series, especially Shayns Baszler is still relatively fresh from the Mae Young Classic. Not sure what sort of experience Roderick Strong's misses and the one that looks like a smack addict  have, but obviously more eyes are on the show at Wrestlemania to benefit from a Ronda Rousey match, presumably against Charlotte 

12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Logical thought would be to do The Horsewomen v MMA Horsewomen at Survivor Series, especially Shayns Baszler is still relatively fresh from the Mae Young Classic. Not sure what sort of experience Roderick Strong's misses and the one that looks like a smack addict  have, but obviously more eyes are on the show at Wrestlemania to benefit from a Ronda Rousey match, presumably against Charlotte 

Whilst they’re all fans, the only one of the MMA Four Horsewomen to have any kind of wrestling experience is Shayna Baszler, so whilst a match at Survivor Series does make sense, it would be a lot easier to hide the inexperience of the MMA woman in a standard four-on-four match both in terms of working the match and laying it out.

• Paid Members
On 9/7/2017 at 6:12 AM, OzExile said:

Anyone been to a Cage Warriors card before? I'm going to be in the UK in October and thinking of heading to their CW 88 card in Liverpool. 

Was really impressed listening to Paddy Pimblett on the MMA Hour, by the way.  

Yeah, I have. They're really well run and put together. Delay between prelim card and Fight Pass card can be annoying and prepare for back ache if you've got a standing ticket and plan to see the whole thing. :p

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Cerrone said he's never heard of Till

Yeah, Cerrone is a fucking idiot. Love watching him fight but he's said this shit before. If he's just saying it to be a dick, then fine, you're a dick. If he genuinely has never heard of him then you'd think he'd have learned some lessons by now. 

I clearly remember him saying 'I've never heard of Rafael Dos Anjos' before their first fight in 2013. That worked out well for him. He might've said similar about Masvidal as well, I can't remember. I know Till isn't a household name, I wouldn't expect Cerrone to be as familiar with him as say a Robbie Lawler or Demian Maia and guys like that. But you'd think he'd at least know who's in his weight class. 

I know it was probably a throwaway comment but I think it's this attitude which is part of what holds Cerrone back from breaking through into the top level. He goes on a run where he looks fantastic then he'll get cocky and dismissive and get battered. It keeps happening. Of course the main part of that is that he's losing to top fighters. But his cocky attitude can't help matters. Compare this to Conor McGregor. For all McGregor's talk and cockiness, he does his homework and studies everyone in not only his division, but anyone in his weight range.  I remember an interview from a couple of years back where he was doing his usual thing of ripping into everyone but in between the shit talk he started rattling off all these stats and attributes of Aldo, Mendes and Edgar and even 155ers like Pettis and RDA. He was reeling off height, reach, breaking down their fighting styles and all sorts. It was one of the times when I started really believing he could go on to actually win the title, which was guesswork back then. Not because he was saying he was going to do it, but because you could tell he was really putting in the hours and was absolutely driven and obsessed with conquering the division. 

I've rambled. Basically, Cerrone is a div. I actually hope Till wins now. 

• Paid Members

Completely a propos of nothing, I'm really looking forward to seeing Aiemann Zahabi fight again - he's fighting Ricardo Ramos on November 4 at MSG. Instant fan watching his fight with Vieira - excellent technique and fight savvy. Hoping he goes on to big things.

Archived