The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ferguson/Lee will be worth a watch for sure, but how much better would it be if the UFC swapped Lee around with Gaethje?

You'd have Ferguson/Gaethje with the winner getting the crack at Conor, and Lee getting to show off his personality on TUF with Alvarez.

12 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Tony Ferguson vs Kevin Lee for the interim Lightweight title is in the works for UFC 216 in October. 

It's official for UFC 216 and it may even end up being the main event because the UFC are having trouble putting together a bigger main event.

Right now, the intention is for Khabib vs. Barboza at the December FOX show, but that all depends on whether Barboza has recovered from shoulder surgery.

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

has it come out that Khabib turned the Ferguson fight down?

He turned down fighting in October. The UFC needed something for the October PPV but Khabib wasn't down for fighting in October, so they went with Ferguson vs. Lee.

As for why Khabib turned down the fight, I don't know, but I think it's the same reason why I'm sceptical that the aforementioned Barboza fight takes place; I think Khabib is trying to wait it out for Conor to return and he's not interested in any other fight.

• Paid Members

If Khabib is indeed waiting for the McGregor fight, quite frankly I think he should piss off. Sure, he's undefeated, but he hardly ever fights. Between his injuries and his refusal to fight around Ramadan, he's not exactly built up a run that inspires, regardless of how dominant he's been. He's got a limited window within his fighting year, and he should be making the most of it, especially as there are others who are working hard taking fights to get themselves into contention. The longer he's out or refusing to fight, the less relevant he's going to be. Why should McGregor fight him when he won't do anything to raise his profile?

• Paid Members

Frank Mir has officially signed with Bellator. Can't imagine anything less than Mir showing up a little podgey and picking up a (hefty) cheque. Bellator's heavyweight division is becoming pretty interesting though, im fairly certain Coker is going bust out a Grand Prix eventually.

• Paid Members

What are the odds on Dana and co starting up a fully fledged boxing promotion after the McGregor fight and indepentant of the UFC?

Dana has already teased it a few times. Seems like a natural progression following the sale of the UFC and what McGregor has managed to do with Mayweather.

I wonder if it would break any no-compete terms of the UFC sale. 

As per Khabib’s manager, Khabib is only fighting Conor or for the lightweight title.

As per UFC's Instagram account, Cody Garbrandt vs. TJ Dillashaw is official for UFC 217 at MSG in November.

As per UFC Tonight, Matt Brown vs Diego Sanchez and Angela Hill vs Nina Ansaroff will take place at the UFC Fight Night in Norfolk on November 11th. The main event for that show will be Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier.

As per http://sportv.globo.com, Lyoto Machida’s first fight back from suspension will headline the UFC Fight Night in Sao Paolo on October 28th. Machida will be fighting Derek Brunson.

Apologies for adding sources on the initial posting.

• Paid Members

"Awesome sauce"?

Brown vs. Sanchez should be tons of fun. I'd like Angela Hill to do better than she's done so far, but then rooting against Mrs. Amanda Nunes may not be wise. Looking forward to Pettis vs. Poirier, assuming Pettis is back on the winning road now. I was never a massive fan of him personality-wise, as he seemed a bit cocky, but I did really enjoy his style of fighting, and I'm hoping his bad run was just a blip as he finally grew and adjusted, and eventually recaptures the magic as a new and improved Antony Pettis.

Archived