The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stipe has to realise that just being UFC champion doesn't make you the big star, Heavyweights like Overeem & Mark Hunt have been fighting in MMA for 15 years and especially Overeem has been near the top since he started just doing MMA & not doing kick boxing. JDS I think made more than him as well but JDS has been top 5 for around the same time as Stipe has been in the UFC. I've said it before but Jon Jones just made $500,000 again which on paper is less than Stipe and he's not moaning, maybe he has a bigger % of PPV revenue but he is a much bigger star.

Overeem put it all on the line against JDS, Had he lost both the UFC & Bellator would have offered him much less but he won and the UFC felt they couldn't loose him, as far as I know, Stipe has several fights left on his contract, so they don't even need to pull out the champions clause.

Bisping who has been fighting in the UFC for years never moaned that Hendo was making $800,000, for beating Hector Lombard while he got $250,000 for beating Rockhold on the same night for the title on short notice (Rockhold made the sane as Bisping)

• Paid Members

Is he moaning though? Or is he simply negotiating? I see nothing wrong with him trying to get more, it's just the timing of it. If he has several fights left on his deal, as you say, there's not much he can do really. Other than try to fulfill however many fights are on that deal as quick as he can so he can get negotiating his next contract. You're right aboutĀ the likes of Overeem, Hunt and JDS but you can see why Stipe would have a gripe with them being onĀ more than him when he battered all 3 of them. Obviously that isn't how contracts work but it's got to be a pisser if you'reĀ him.Ā 

14 hours ago, the_mole said:

Stipe has several fights left on his contract, so they don't even need to pull out the champions clause.

They already used the champions clause. That's why Stipe's pay multipled almost tenfold after winning the title.

I expect the UFC to play fairly hardball on this. I don't think they'll want to renegotiate with Stipe when it's only been just over a year since they agreed to his current deal. And given that it's only been a year since his current deal was put in place, and Stipe's fought twice, I expect it hasseveral more fights to go.

When it comes to contracted pay; Overeem is on $800,000, Hunt is on $750,000, Stipe on $600,000 and JDS on $400,000.

Ā 

Jones has said he doesn't want to fight in New York because of the tax he would have to pay, which is much more than other states & countries but is open to a fight so they might have him fight Gus in Vegas or Canada but the Canadian dollar is down which probably wouldn't effect him but will hurt the UFC at the gate.

Jones vs Gusty could headline the New Year show they usually do in Vegas. However, I get the feeling that the UFC are going to try and make the Lesnar fight next. Too much noise is being made about it.Ā 

I'm fine with either. I really want to see both fights.Ā 

Given Brockā€™s WWE commitments and depending on when he re-enters the testing pool, and thereby puts his suspension back into effect which heā€™ll have to see out, the fight with Jones is likely not going to be able to happen until the summer. Unless Jones decides to sit things out and wait for the big money fight, that means Jones is going to be fighting again before Brock becomes an option.

11 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Given Brockā€™s WWE commitments and depending on when he re-enters the testing pool, and thereby puts his suspension back into effect which heā€™ll have to see out, the fight with Jones is likely not going to be able to happen until the summer. Unless Jones decides to sit things out and wait for the big money fight, that means Jones is going to be fighting again before Brock becomes an option.

Brock has been in the USADA testing poo for a month now apparently, no one has actually confirmed it though.

6 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Brock has been in the USADA testing poo for a month now apparently, no one has actually confirmed it though.

Brock is not currently in the testing pool. When he is, though, we'll find out sooner or later because it's a matter of public record when fighters get tested.

2 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

Brock is not currently in the testing pool. When he is, though, we'll find out sooner or later because it's a matter of public record when fighters get tested.

Well there was a press release saying that Brock entered the pool whilst the UFC released a counter statement saying he hasn't. The thing is that Brock isn't under a UFC contract, so how do they know? If he did really enter the pool back in July then he could do 3 months of testing in time to appear in a NYE show.

13 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

As I said, fighters getting tested becomes a matter of public record. If Brock had been tested in the last couple of months, we would know.

I didn't say it was a hundred percent certain he was on the pool and by all accounts USADA are slow when it comes to updating the public roster on the site. Also he might not have actually been tested yet, being in the pool just means giving them an itinerary andĀ details of where he is going to be for the foreseeable few months.

9 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

I didn't say it was a hundred percent certain he was on the pool and by all accounts USADA are slow when it comes to updating the public roster on the site. Also he might not have actually been tested yet, being in the pool just means giving them an itinerary andĀ details of where he is going to be for the foreseeable few months.

The site gets updated weekly without fail. We'll know within a week or so when Brock gets tested. Also, Brock failed two tests in short order. You seriously think USADA aren't going to test Brock as soon as they possibly can? I fully expect them to send someone out the second Brock tells them he's back in the testing pool.

Archived