The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Cody Gambrandt is saying he will be ready for the MSG card against Dillashaw, you could probably do Jones-Gustaffson but the more you load one card, the more it hurts the cards around it as we seen at the start if the year. If they are doing any interim title it should be Khabib-Ferguson again and if Khabib doesn't make weight they force him upto 170.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Jones vs Gustafsson might be a better fit for MSG, with Jones being from New York. Build on his supposed 'face turn' with a homecoming and that. A Bisping vs GSP/Jones vs Gus 2 double-header at MSG would be magic. 

Then again, you're probably right. What does that leave for December, which is traditionally a big PPV? Jones vs Gus 2, if that's even what's next, would be a stronger PPV headliner than Cody vs TJ. 

Maybe do something like; 

Nov PPV at MSG:

Bisping vs GSP 

Garbrandt vs Dillashaw 

Jedrzejczyk vs Namajunas

Dec PPV:

Jones vs Gus 2

Maybe Miocic vs Cain or Holloway vs Edgar? 

There's also an outside chance of McGregor slotting in on one of these cards, I suppose as well. Maybe. He did say the plan was to fight again in the UFC by the end of the year. 

The cast for TUF 26 has been revealed. I'm delighted to see Sijara Eubanks and Roxanne Modafferi involved. I'm really high on Eubanks; I think she has the potential to be a real force at 125lbs. And I really hope Modafferi does well this time around. She is a lot better than her last stint in the UFC suggested and it would be great to see her get the kind of success she deserves.

The full cast is;

Ariel Beck (4-4)
DeAnna Bennett (8-3)
Shana Dobson (2-1)
Sijara Eubanks (2-2)
Melinda Fabian (4-3-1)
Karine Gevorgyan (3-2)
Barb Honchak (10-2)
Christina Marks (8-8)
Roxanne Modafferi (21-13)
Nicco Montano (3-2)
Lauren Murphy (9-3)
Rachael Ostovich (3-3)
Gillian Robertson (3-2)
Maia Stevenson (6-4)
Montana Stewart (7-4)
Emily Whitmire (2-1)

TUF 26 is a weird one. Some sketchy records there. Think Honchak and Murphy are going to go into it as favourites. 

But theres a quite a few names missing from the cast that would walk into this division (Maia, Niedzwiedz, Porto, Lee come to mind). You'd think the lure of a title would have attracted a few more. But obviously not. 

Then you've got the likes of Joanna, Calderwood, Rawlings and others already in the UFC who have expressed interest in the division. I also think Shevchenko would be a force down there as well. Would love to see her and Joanna square off again (they fought in Muay Thai) for the title.  

Guys - there are two PPVs in December 218 in Detroit at the beginning of the month then the New Year's PPV in Vegas. 

You imagine they may go big with three title scraps at MSG again but I hope the other PPVs don't suck.   I'm thinking H2 is gearing up to be huge, especially if they get use of Conor. 

12 hours ago, Ross18 said:

But theres a quite a few names missing from the cast that would walk into this division (Maia, Niedzwiedz, Porto, Lee come to mind). You'd think the lure of a title would have attracted a few more. But obviously not. 

The thing to remember about TUF is that you have to cut weight, make weight, and then fight, and you could be having to do that three times in the space of six weeks. It’s tough enough doing that for one fight, but doing it for three fights in the space of six weeks is another matter.

I don't remember her name, but one fighter considered for TUF 20, which crowned the first Strawweight Champion, turned down the chance because she felt she couldn't safely cut and make weight three times in six weeks. It would have been too tough on her body and she wasn’t willing to take the risk. Going on TUF is a great opportunity, but there is more to consider than just the rewards that come with it.

9 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

The thing to remember about TUF is that you have to cut weight, make weight, and then fight, and you could be having to do that three times in the space of six weeks. It’s tough enough doing that for one fight, but doing it for three fights in the space of six weeks is another matter.

I don't remember her name, but one fighter considered for TUF 20, which crowned the first Strawweight Champion, turned down the chance because she felt she couldn't safely cut and make weight three times in six weeks. It would have been too tough on her body and she wasn’t willing to take the risk. Going on TUF is a great opportunity, but there is more to consider than just the rewards that come with it.

Was that not Claudia Gadelha?

• Paid Members

Yeah that was my first thought but really, who at 125 would smash her worse than Joanna Jedrzejczyk? She might actually have a better chance at flyweight. I don't think she was ever going much further at strawweight as I doubt she was ever hanging with the likes of Joanna, Gadelha, Andrade etc. 

I know what you mean though. Even this fight with Jessica Eye, Eye's no world beater and her recent record is horrible. But I think that's a bit deceiving because she's got some skills and she was fighting 2 divisions higher than Paige. It's Eye coming down from 135 and Paige coming up from 115 so fuck knows how it'll play out. 

Archived