The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

17 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I don't think many on here would argue with your points, David. Business will always be cyclical. However, the level the UFC has dipped this year has been massive and the reason it's significant is due to the buy out, which needs to be doing business to pay off the huge repayments. A massive part of the buy out working is the telly deal renewal and if business continues to decline then I'm not so sure they'll get the massive payment they want.

As a fan, I've enjoyed this year, for the most part (certainly more than, say, 2014), but business being down comes with a whole new set of worries, which need to be rectified. Mind the buyout was flagged because it's success relied heavily on them over performing and growing the business, which obviously this year has not seen.

Again, purely as a spectator, bar a ropey start, it's been a good year and I've enjoyed most of the cards we've seen over the past few months. I rarely skip a show, these days.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't really have any interest in how the new buyers see their investment. It means as much to me as the views and opinions of the TV executives who broadcast the fights. The business side of thing is their concern, not mine.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to look at the numbers and discuss the stats and so on, but the main thing for me is that when the weekend comes I have some decent fights to watch, which is virtually always the case when the UFC are putting on a show.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Fair enough. As I typed, it's had no impact on my enjoyment, I've enjoyed this year.

Oh yeah, I'm not taking a shot, as it's definitely something we all like to discuss, along with the numbers and suchlike. It's just that at the end the main thing we're all concerned about are the fights. And you're right, it's been a good year in that regard.

• Paid Members

Just listened to a bit from Bisping's podcast and he said the UFC wanted the next TUF to be coached by Bisping and the winner of Whittaker/Romero. 

Apparently, Bisping agreed to it, Romero agreed to it but when they asked Whittaker he made some demands and Dana said no and changed plans. 

As it is, it doesn't matter because Yoel lost to Whittaker anyway, but can you fucking imagine a season of TUF: Team Bisping vs Team Romero?! I've said a bunch of times that I'm not a fan of TUF holding up titles but I've got to say I'd have been all in for this. 

I guess when Romero lost the UFC weren't so keen on a Bisping vs Whittaker season and then Dana didn't like Whittaker's conditions anyway so that was that. We've got Alvarez vs Gaethje instead. 

Makes you wonder why they didn't just go ahead with the Bisping vs Romero season and then that fight? I'm not usually one for bypassing someone who's more deserving, but when you have lightning in a bottle you should take advantage of it.

• Paid Members

The big issue for a Romero vs Bisping season would have been Romero's lack of English. The fact he can't understand a bloody thing and would need his interpreter there the entire time would just slow everything down to a standstill. 

I may be mistaken, but wasn't it one of the reasons they didn't do an Aldo/Mcgregor season? 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

The big issue for a Romero vs Bisping season would have been Romero's lack of English. The fact he can't understand a bloody thing and would need his interpreter there the entire time would just slow everything down to a standstill. 

I may be mistaken, but wasn't it one of the reasons they didn't do an Aldo/Mcgregor season? 

But Romero's mental translator is part of the brilliance that is the Romero package! :D

No way he'd have done anything other than improve the series.

• Paid Members

Of course, his interpreter is amazing, but logistically it would be a nightmare for the producers to sort out and edit together. Imagine arguments taking place then someone interrupting then saying "just wait a moment whilst we get the translator in". 

Fuck the language barrier, seeing Romero's broken English verbally sparring against Bisping's tirade of shit talking would have me watching. You wouldn't even need to piss about with the whole TUF aspect, just hour long interviews between those two for ten weeks.

In addition to adopting four new weight classes into the unified rules, the Association of Boxing Commissions also unanimously approved a quartet of recommendations from its MMA Rules Committee.

ABC rules committee chair Sean Wheelock told MMAjunkie the recommendations could be implemented quickly because they didn’t require any laws or statutes to be changed, making the whole process a lot smoother.

The two new rules of most interest;

• A TKO by medical stoppage if a combatant visibly loses control of a bodily function – vomit, urine, or bowels – during a round. If the loss of control occurs between rounds, a doctor must clear the combatant to compete.
  • More strict parameters for using instant replay in MMA. It may not be used for smaller shows that aren’t being filmed, and referees may only use it when a “fight-ending sequence” may have been caused by an intentional or unintentional foul.

I almost want to see a title change hands as a result of the champion crapping their shorts. It would probably be the most surreal thing in MMA history.

• Paid Members

Apparently a couple of these had already been announced but i hadn't seen any of them...current lineup for UFC 216:

• Lando Vannata vs. Abel Trujillo
  • Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham
  • Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz
  • Thales Leites vs. Brad Tavares
  • John Moraga vs. Magomed Bibulatov
  • Matt Schnell vs. Marco Beltran
  • Walt Harris vs. Marc Godbeer

Only expect maybe one of those to end up on the PPV, but a solid little undercard is building.

• Paid Members

Sweet, that official now then? I saw something earlier on Helwani's twitter that that was the plan but there was a holdup I can't remember the details of. 

Ariel also said that the rumours of Lawler vs Masvidal for an interim title are false and that the UFC are planning a Masvidal vs Wonderboy fight. 

Archived